What's new

Looking for Newbie Advice

Ok, so I'm new here and new to DE shaving. So, I've started out with a Merkur 23C as my starter razor using feather blades. I also use AOS Lavender Scent. The problem I'm running into is after 3 weeks of using the DE I still get ALOT of nicks on my neck (as in my whole neck looks like it s bleeding). Now I know this has alot to do with proper angle, but how do I maintain proper angle as I'm shaving my neck? And why do I periodically, shaving my neck, feel it "grab?" Is this also from improper angle? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to B&B!

On the trouble with your neck, firstly, you're not alone; the neck is a notorious trouble area, and it's entirely normal to find it hard going at the stage you're at.

On the subject of blade angle, much of it is ultimately trial and error and experience. Try to keep your strokes short, and to move the razor with your arm and shoulder rather than your hand (if that makes sense). I often find that the best angle on my neck looks rather different to what I use on my face - the razor head often appears almost perpendicular to the skin.

And of course, if you haven't, try to study the grain of your beard - many people's neck hair grows in all kinds of odd directions. The 'grab' you've been experiencing could be caused by issues with angle and/or excess pressure, but it might also be the result of starting out shaving in what's actually an ATG or XTG direction.

Best of luck with it!

As stated above angles and pressure take time to master. I think you should get some milder blades to start out with though, Feathers are unforgiving to bad technique. For that matter you can have great technique and Feathers can tear you up. How's your lather looking? Is it looking like heavy wet yogurt or dry white cool whip? Not having enough glide in your lather can also wreak havoc with your shaves.

Ditto on learning the direction of the grain. I get good results with shaving WTG the first pass, wet the area again, re-lather, and shave ATG the 2nd time. Then if needed I re-lather and shave XTG to touch up. With my previous razor, a Gillette Mach III, I only had to lather up once and shave. DE shaving requires a bit more attention to lathering up--multiple times if necessary. Hope this helps.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What is your shaving progression? ie wtg-xtg-atg. DE shaving is an exercise in progressive beard reduction. If you try to cut a longer whisker ATG it will get hung up on the shaft, and to make it cut you will instinctively use more pressure. When you ATG on long hair, the blade can ride down the shaft and dig into your skin, resulting in burns and nicks. When I use a DE I go WTG-XTG-XTG-ATG,with very little pressure if any. My lather is also slick and on the thinner side, not super thick and pillowy, but it's a YMMV thing. Map your hair growth and make sure you are going ATG after all other passes. I would bet you need more reduction on your neck.

Welcome to B&B. The neck is a very tricky place for anyone to shave, and it takes some time and practice to get good shaving there. At first just go for a presentable shave and don't worry about getting super close. Be sure to lay off any pressure, and just go WTG for awhile. As your skin adjusts to DE shaving things will get better. :thumbup1:

Welcome to the B! Lots of good advice above! My 2 centavos:

Use WTG passes only on your neck for a week or so. Be very delicate with pressure. Go for some beard reduction and no irritation. Let us know how this or other advice works for you. DE shaving is a real learning process, and takes many shaves to start to master.

I've been doing WTG. I don't even get to XTG or ATG withour having nicks. As far as shave stroke goes, I've tried using about a 1 1/2" stroke and placing the comb (?) on the neck first then tilting the head to get the 30 degree angle. For lather consistency, it's usually pretty thick and use pre-shave oil in conjuction with the cream. On direction of hair growth, I think that where its been grabbing is about where my hair reverses direction. I.e. above the Adam's apple it grows downward, below it grows upward and right on the Adam's apple it kind of swirls (?). OK..I'll try being more careful and apply everyhting above. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

DFSDAILY... You reccomended milder blades. What brand would you suggest? I've tried the Merkur blade included with the razor and the Feather with the same result.

I think the key here is ZERO pressure. When you use a cartridge razor, you learn to use a significant amount of pressure. With DEs, any pressure can be injurious. Let the weight of the razor keep the blade against your face. No more. Really. A helpful suggestion I read on B&B is to shave one molecule above your skin. Give it a shot. At worst, it won't cut anything. At best, it will be glorious and you'll want to thank me with lots of money.

Welcome!

You've got some very good advice from people who know whereof they speak. Which is, after all, why you registered with us.

Slow and steady; give it time. And get Israeli Red or Blue Personnas which most people find sharp enough, yet forgiving in a way Feathers are not. In time, Feather may just be the one for you, but searching through sampler packs is a nice adventure. You just can't tell what will work for you till the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I've found very good blades that cost me US 7¢ apiece (delivered!) that I prefer to some brands costing 5-6 times more than that.

Good hunting!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Are you stretching the skin? For your neck, try stretching the skin to be shaven in whatever direction needed to give your razor a surface flat enough to work on, and to eliminate any looseness of the skin which can lead to cuts and irritation. Stretching too hard, though, can lead to ingrown hairs for some. A corner of a washcloth can be used for stretching the skin if your fingers can't get enough traction on wet, lathery skin.

Top Bottom