What's new

Advice on large boar wanted

I currently own an Omega 31064. It is my second boar brush, after my Burma Shave starter-kit brush. I really love the feel and lathering quality of the Omega.

Can anyone suggest another large diameter boar brush for me? I like the 25mm knot (even larger would be nice). I've seen the Semogue 2000, and wonder if there are others I should consider.

Thanks much,

Codfish

I have a Omega 10049 which has a 27mm knot and a loft of 65mm. Many guys would find this brush to floppy due to the high loft. Not me though. I find it a great versatile brush suited for both bowl and face lathering. The long bristles when wet do indeed bend and splay quickly with just a litlle bit of pressure but they also straighten straight away when the pressure is taken of them. When face lathering with this brush this takes some finese but I find it quite easy to do. The Omega 10048 is even larger with a 28mm knot and a 70mm loft. I do not have this brush so can not share experience with this "beast".

Also do I not have a Semogue boar. But they sure get great feedback on this forum.

I have a Omega 10049 which has a 27mm knot and a loft of 65mm. Many guys would find this brush to floppy due to the high loft. Not me though. I find it a great versatile brush suited for both bowl and face lathering. The long bristles when wet do indeed bend and splay quickly with just a litlle bit of pressure but they also straighten straight away when the pressure is taken of them. When face lathering with this brush this takes some finese but I find it quite easy to do. The Omega 10048 is even larger with a 28mm knot and a 70mm loft. I do not have this brush so can not share experience with this "beast".

Also do I not have a Semogue boar. But they sure get great feedback on this forum.

Thanks, Joost. I decided to try the Omega 10048 and put an order in for it.

Codfish

I think you'll love the 10048 too, I have 3 10049s and used to own a Semogue 2000; sold it because I felt it was floppy

love my 10048....took a while to get the stank out though... really like how big it is ,and the price is right!

Thanks for the input, guys!

I've been wet shaving for about 18 months now, and until recently I've been using badger brushes. The brush I've most often used is an EJ Best 23mm. I've never seriously considered a boar, since my only experience with them has been one that was included in the Burma Shave starter kit I purchased at the beginning.

I did not understand why anyone would use a boar until I started seeing posts here. Originally, I thought boar users were a crackpot fringe, and dismissed them. Why would anyone use anything other than badger? After all, they were more expensive so they had to be better!

But I was curious, and eventually I came across a broken-in Omega 31064 at a great price and decided to buy it. I was really impressed with how well it lathered, and how soft it was. What a dream for face-lathering! So I decided to look for another boar, hopefully even larger.

So it's ordered and on its way, and I will post after I've used it a month or so, and let you know what I think.

Thanks for all your help!

Codfish

Last edited:

I love the 10048... previously got it for $10.50 SGD in Mustafa in Singapore, recently the stocks have been replenished, and there was a $3.00 increase in price... but nonetheless I still got myself another one as a backup.

Top Bottom