What's new

Simpson major m1

So I am probably going to work Out of town 30 days at a time and am looking for a good travel brush and stumbled on the major m1. I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it?? Is it worth the $130? I already have the Berkley, special and wee scot how does this compare

I don't have any experience with the Major, but I did have a Vulfix turn-back style brush and they are similar. So, I can't comment on the Major or whether it's worth it, but I found the two ways of using the Vulfix turn-back rather uncomfortable in my hand. If I screwed the brush piece into the larger handle, I found the handle too big in diameter and just kind of clunky and awkward. If I used just the brush piece, it was a little bit thin and narrow. So, I didn't find it very serviceable.

Just out of curiosity ... when you say that you'll be out of town 30 days at a time, are you traveling each of those days? If you're only traveling once every couple days or so, or even just once to get to/from the destination, I would take one of my regular brushes. Especially if you don't have long travel times, I don't think it's going to hurt a brush if you drop it an some sort of case for a few hours while traveling even if it's still damp.

I bought a Muhle travel tube for about $8 and can take any of my brushes. If I twist it out to the max the one tube will hold both my Berkeley and 56. On a side note, how it that Special compared to the Berkeley? I've already got a Berkeley and was wondering if it was worth getting a Special.

IMO, a 'good' travel brush is one that I wouldn't mind if it got damaged or lost, which might happen during travel. At $130, the Simpson Major doesn't fit this description (although it could be a good collector's piece). The Simpson Case might be a better bet.

i do not really like the special. i have used it once since i got it. but i really like the berkley but thats just me. can you pm me a link where to find the muhle travel tube... i looked around but couldnt find one

when i go out of town i will be leaving vancouver island and going to work in the yukon and will be living in one place for 30 days at a time and will be home for 7 days. for me if i was traveling every day i would be more concerned about price but for the way this job looks like it is going to happen i am more concerned about comfort and having a little piece of home with me. i like the suggestion of just bringing my regulars :)

i do not really like the special. i have used it once since i got it. but i really like the berkley but thats just me. can you pm me a link where to find the muhle travel tube... i looked around but couldnt find one

I PM'd you a link to one. Thanks for the comment on the Special. I really like the Berkeley too, so maybe I'll hold off on the other for now.

Top Bottom