What's new

Pleasantly suprised at the first attempt

Hi all, I thought I'd share my first DE & wetshave experience. First off, I just received my HD and vulfix brush a few days ago, and have been waiting to shave so that I could have a few days to mend if needed. As it turns out, contrary to many experiences, my first went swimmingly. Using Conk almond (not the best lather I've seen, will work on it next time), I took three downward passes with the HD and the standard blade that came packaged with it and wound up with the best shave of my life!

I think it will take a few weeks for my skin to get used to the new shaves without any negative affects, but it is still better than any 3,4,5 or 85 blade shave I've ever had. I am hooked. My next purchase will be a sample pack of blades to see what works best, and then an adjustable at some point.

Only problem is, an hour after the shave, I wanted to go shave again!:biggrin:

I'll see how my beard looks tomorrow morning, but if the closeness of the shave is any indication, I may not need to for a while.

Cheers!

Welcome. I'm 62 and started wet shaving when I was 17. I still enjoy shaving and wish my beard would grow faster so that I could shave more often.

Welcome to the B&B, er, can we call you 509 for short?:wink:
Congrats on your first real shave. You must have a fairly soft beard if you got so close with WTG passes only. (You lucky stiff, count your blessings!) And the Merkur blade that comes for free with the razor is not the sharpest blade in town, either.
You'll enjoy the sampler blades. I think that with a relatively soft beard, you'll find some that shave so well that you won't even feel like there's a blade in the razor! But always remember that there is!:eek:

Welcome---and that first shave is a big one. There's a certain psychological barrier that must be surmounted, and you've done it. The rest is just practice.

Welcome to our forum and congrats on the first shave. Sounds like you are indeed hooked like the rest of us. They will only get better with time and practice.
Happy Shaving

Thanks all.

I think I do have a fairly soft beard, though my hair is fairly thick.:confused:

There was defintely a mental obstacle to overcome before that first shave, but no looking back now.:smile:

My first shave a few weeks ago was a success as well. But, by the time Friday rolled around my skin was a bit sensitive and led to, not a bad shave, but one that wasn't nearly as satisfying. Just remember to keep the concentration. Don't make the same mistake so many of us noobs do.

Just remember to keep the concentration. Don't make the same mistake so many of us noobs do.
I've been DE shaving for a little over two months now -- also with very good results (and I only have 7 razors, 2 brushes, 4 soaps and six shaving creams!). Anyway, last week I had a fabulous shave or two with a 2-3 day old Derby in a 38C and Tabac soap. This week I tried to repeat it and got a mediocre shave and mild irritation. Today I refocused on correct angle and zero(ish) pressure and came out with a very good shave.

The moral of the story (for me at least) is when the shave's not going right it's often the very basics of angle and pressure.

Top Bottom