What's new

*PICS* The difference between Pure, Best and Silvertip Badger.....

Gents,
Quite often I am asked "What's the best Shaving brush?" - "Which brush should I get for XYZ dollars?" - "What would you buy between X and Y?" and so on and so forth. I hope to in this pictorial show some of you fellas the difference between the different hair grades, and hopefully help some of you gents decide WHAT CHARACTERISTICS you wish to have in a brush/hair grade.

Too often gents are caught up in this whole "What is the best/most expensive" bit - when in reality..... the most expensive badger hair is NOT expensive because it is the best.... it is expensive because it is RARE and as a result, expensive.

Method - All of the brushes are from the same manufacture, in new, unused condition so as to eliminate as many variables as possible. Each shaving brush was used under similar circumstances, with the exact same cake of Saint Charles Shave Almond shaving soap.

Three Unused Shaving Brushes.... (similar knot size)
full

Same three brushes in "bloom".... (similar knot size)
full

PURE -
This is the least expensive form of badger hair and is quite common. The head as you can see is actually trimmed to shape, so it is a little "scratchy" on ones face. Due to its specific qualities, although it holds a fair amount of water - it holds less water then best/silvertip. Although it is packed loosely, it is not "floppy" and has a nice spring to it.

Trimmed brush head as new...
full

Loose Pack....
full

full

Soak...
full

Shake.
full

Size of whetted head in relation to cake of soap...
full

Couple Turns...
full

Lather beginning to build...
full

full

full

full

Ready to rub on face....
full

Lathered up...
full

full

Post "wipe"
full

After 3 Passes...
full

Bloom...
full

full

BEST BADGER -
Best badger hair is essentially a refined version of "pure" it tends to have more of a banded pattern, than a solid black color, and it tends to be untrimmed, and as a result is softer on ones face. Best badger will have the SAME characteristics as far as "feel" as the incredibly expensive "High White Mountain" - "Manchurian" etc, as it will be firm on ones skin, yet supple enough to be luxurious. The bristle pack will often be denser than that of best badger, and as a result the brush will retain more water. The hair will have less of a snappyness (inclination to bend) as best badger, and as a result a highly efficacious scrubbing action can be performed on your shaving soap, as well as face. The ONLY leg up the elustrious (and expensive) "rare" hairs have on this brush is/are their water holding abilities, which admittedly are superior - however I can earnestly say - this inexpensive little $35 Edwin Jagger may be my favorite shaving brush... period. It really works like the dickens (see pictures below) and holds the perfect amount of water - not to much, not to little... somewhat ironic that the "mid-level" tends to have the desirabilities from both spectrums. As far as I am concerned - to hell with "high, euro white, finest" etc - this stuff feels the same, is less expensive, and does not hold excess water. A tremendous brush at a tremendous price, which leaves very little to be desired.

Unused Brush...
full

Handmade in England like its more expensive cousins....
full

Close up of brush head (unused)
full

full

full

full

full

Size of wet head in bowl for comparison...
full

A few turns...
full

A few more...
full

Ready for action...
full

Lather worked into face...
full

full

After 3 Passes...
full

full

Brush in bloom....
full

SILVERTIP -
Ahhh.... Silvertip. The most luxurious of luxury, the most expensive, elusive, finest shaving brush bristle in the land.... or is it? Well, that very much depends. While I wouldn't classify this particular example as "floppy" it is INCREDIBLY soft and the bristle is flexable. A silvertip shaving brush is an exercise in luxury, as it just feels damn good rubbed around your face.... but truth be told - the "scrubbing" action of the best badger brush above will actually do a superior job exfoliating, and lifting the hair on your beard to be cut. From a practical purpose - the best badger brush is superior, however from a luxury standpoint, the silvertip has no equals.... think of it like this - the best is your daily driver, and the silvertip is your weekend toy. Silvertip brushes tend to have more intricate handle designs, look fancier, more handwork, more attention to detail, etc. For instance this brush has a STUNNING horn handle (finest faux horn I have experienced) and is without question the best, most elegant looking brush of the bunch.

Pictures do not do this handle justice....
full

full

Silvertip brush head (unused)
full

Tightly packed...
full

Overall brush shot (unused)
full

full

Initially plopped in water (look at the next picture to see how much water the brush "sucks" up...
full

Notice how much "wider" the brush is and how much water it has soaked up...
full

full

Size of wet brush head for comparison....
full

A few turns...
full

full

full

Lathered up (could not get "peaks" of lather with this brush, as it makes a "wetter" lather since it soaks up so much water)
full

After 3 passes...
full

Brush is so soft that if the wet brush is "mashed" down, it will not spring back to its original shape.
full

full

Flicked to damp...
full

Beauty in bloom...
full

All three brushes, side by side, post bloom (similar knot sizes)
full

Overall - while all 3 brushes were superb, my personal favorite was the "best badger" shaving brush. A truly wonderful looking, feeling, and performing shaving brush which leaves very little to be desired. If it were my first brush... I am afraid to say, I do not think I would have purchased another.

Hope this helps some of you gents! If you have any questions - fire away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel,

Nice review. I have the C&E version of the Best Badger. Yeah, for $35 bucks this thing kicks ***! When anyone asks me about recommending a brush, this is the one!

Randy

Nicely done Joel.

I agree with you and Randy, the EJ best badger is an incredible value and an exceptional brush to boot.

Exellent review Joel!!

However, on one point i have to disagree severely

"if it were my first brush....i don't think i would have purchased another"......

I definitely do not think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....:lol: :lol:

But seriously:

when taking purely functional apects of shaving brushes in account, then best badger brushes are the "work horses" of classic wetshaving; they are firm, give a very good lather, scrub the whiskers/skin and are nice to look at.

The best badger hair imo is that of Simpsons: an animal (!!) look, shiny, firm, a lot of flex, and a little scratchy to the skin, but by no means unpleasable.

BTW: there is even silvertip which is more prickly to the skin than best badger or even pure badger: so called "barbed" super badger; this feels rather rough...examples are Simpsons and Shavemac barbed super and Vulfix silvertip; the latter feels like sandpaper....!

Peter

drP said:
BTW: there is even silvertip which is more prickly to the skin than best badger or even pure badger: so called "barbed" super badger; this feels rather rough...examples are Simpsons and Shavemac barbed super and Vulfix silvertip; the latter feels like sandpaper....!

Peter

Peter,
I think Vulfix changed their silvertip recently..... they now characterize it as "incredibly soft" and well... it is.... but it really isn't a whole lot different (if at all) than their super badger!

ajw1976 said:
Great info. Very helpful for me in choosing my next brush.

No problems bud! - If you have any further questions - don't hesitate to post them for us in the shaving brush forum!! :smile:

Hi Joel. Great info here, the pictures really tell the story. I'm a little confused by the Best Badger section, perhaps it's just typos. I highlighted the lines. It appears you're comparing Best to Best.

joel said:
BEST BADGER -
Best badger hair is essentially a refined version of "pure" it tends to have more of a banded pattern, than a solid black color, and it tends to be untrimmed, and as a result is softer on ones face. Best badger will have the SAME characteristics as far as "feel" as the incredibly expensive "High White Mountain" - "Manchurian" etc, as it will be firm on ones skin, yet supple enough to be luxurious. The bristle pack will often be denser than that of best badger, and as a result the brush will retain more water. The hair will have less of a snappyness (inclination to bend) as best badger, and as a result a highly efficacious scrubbing action can be performed on your shaving soap, as well as face. The ONLY leg up the elustrious (and expensive) "rare" hairs have on this brush is/are their water holding abilities, which admittedly are superior - however I can earnestly say - this inexpensive little $35 Edwin Jagger may be my favorite shaving brush... period. It really works like the dickens (see pictures below) and holds the perfect amount of water - not to much, not to little... somewhat ironic that the "mid-level" tends to have the desirabilities from both spectrums. As far as I am concerned - to hell with "high, euro white, finest" etc - this stuff feels the same, is less expensive, and does not hold excess water. A tremendous brush at a tremendous price, which leaves very little to be desired.

Thanks for all the work to post this.

Very nice review. As mentioned above, the pictures do tell the story.

This weekend I'll be ordering a best badger edwin jagger brush (based on reading this forum and SMF forum) and a Merkur HD from the gentlemensshop in the UK to finally switch from my M3 setup to a real setup. I'm still reviewing what cream and AS I'm gonna order as well.

I will also be ordering sampler packs from both Scotto and letterk to have those too within the next 2 to 3 weeks (hopefully) to finally make the switch. :001_smile

Where can I get the Best Badger Brush? I checked EJ online and the only site was in UK so I don't know who the US rep would be?

Gatorade said:
Yeah, I know that. But what I am asking is where do you get THAT brush.

The three brushes pictured in the above photos are not for sale to the public to the best of my knowledge. From what I am told - there will be one released similar to the horn handled one, but the specific ones in the pictures are not for sale to my knowledge.

joel said:
The three brushes pictured in the above photos are not for sale to the public to the best of my knowledge. From what I am told - there will be one released similar to the horn handled one, but the specific ones in the pictures are not for sale to my knowledge.

That's what I thought. I don't mind having the C&E logo but given the choice of the C&E and the EJ I would take the EJ in a heart beat. PM me if you decide you have one too many brushes and that one just won't fit on the shelf! :wink:

Thank you very much for the review, I wish I would have found it before buying my first brush today. But since my purchase was the Best Badger, it would have have affected my decision expect that I would have explored finding one with the EJ logo instead.

Anyone know where someone could buy the Best Badger with the EJ logo and not the Crabtree logo? Would it still be $35?

Top Bottom