What's new

Fragrance Oils vs. Essential Oils

I'd like to start a discussion about the differences between fragrance oils and essential oils. I'm particularly interested in the effects of fragrance oil on the skin, since it is not all-natural. I recently found out that one of my favorite shaving soaps (Ye Old Barbershop from Honeybee) is made with fragrance oils, and I didn't know this before, probably because I didn't care about taking care of my skin until recently.

I don't have any bad reactions to this soap at all, but I'm still concerned that it might have some kind of negative effect over the long term. Am I being too concerned here?

Yes, you are being overly concerned. If cosmetic grade fragrance oils were particularly dangerous in the levels typically used in cosmetics and shave products...they wouldn't be legal. If you can find some clinical research demonstrating their danger at the levels typically used in cosmetics I would like to see it. You'll be fine. :)

Agree with PozzSka. Fragrance oils are fine as long as you don't have a reaction to them.

a lot of people have negative reactions to essential oils, too.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I believe Mama Bear has a good explanation of the differences between EO/FO on her site.

Agree with PozzSka. Fragrance oils are fine as long as you don't have a reaction to them.

a lot of people have negative reactions to essential oils, too.

+1. Personally, I prefer EO-scented soaps -- I just think they smell better. An essential oil of good quality can almost be a fragrance unto itself. That said, I have plenty of FO-scented products that I use & enjoy as well.

Top Bottom