What's new

I found Nirvana...Coti, then BBW... finish on Coti- water only

Ooh!, I really got my 6/8 Le Dandy sharp and she shaves smooth. Here's what I did-

I followed Bart's dulicot detail (coticule.be) using 30 1/2 strokes on slurry (I'm using an LPB bout)...I'd go 30 half strokes one side, then flip over to the other side...back and forth, back and forth, refreshing the slurry after cleaning the bout under running water, when I felt it was time. I didn't bother to do the arm hair shave test, I just kept at it till I knew by feel I was ready to jump off of there and go to my BBW

On the BBW (I recently bought a BBW from Jarrod, his smallest size, 40mm x 150mm?) I used slurry the whole time and X-strokes...if the slurry seemed to start to get dry, I dropped a few drops of water to get it wet again. I always kept the slurry (either stone) wet. Can't say how many stokes on BBW I ended up doing, I never kept track. I paid more attention to my stroke, but I could tell by X-stroking on the slurried BBW, I was getting a nice edge on my razor. Eventually I jumped off, and onto the coti bout again, but on straight water honing X-strokes mostly under running water. Well over 100 X-strokes...mebbe 150 X-strokes

Then I took it to one of my linen strops for 100 X-stroke laps and 100 laps (X-strokes) on leather. I couldn't wait to shave with it so I didn't. This was 5 PM Wednesday (yesterday). Normally I shower then shave but no pre shower this go around. What I did for a pre shave...was to wet my face, apply Proraso pre/post cream then loaded my Omega boar (#48) after it soaked for a few minutes in hot water with Cella, then built the lather in my scuttle, lathered my face, meanwhile, I had a hand towel soaking in my bathroom sink in very hot water...so I did the barber towel technique, let it sit two minutes then wiped my face w/the towel and lathered with the scuttle built Cella lather.

Shave was 3 pass w/touch ups...BBS just about everywhere. What was remarkable...how smooth the razor felt on my face, and it shaved cleanly. My face felt so good after this shave, I didn't even bother with an A/S. Here I sit 11 hours later...I feel a little bit of stubble coming on=:) Looking forward to my next shave later in the day=:) It wont be with the Le Dandy...she's getting a rest

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Legion

Staff member
Nice! I'm pretty close to working out my "special coti recipe" too. Experimentation is the key. The ideas on Coticle.be are a good starting point for beginners, but people should not be scared of playing around and tweaking it to find what works best for them.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm pretty close to working out my "special coti recipe" too. Experimentation is the key. The ideas on Coticle.be are a good starting point for beginners, but people should not be scared of playing around and tweaking it to find what works best for them.
So true!

In fact that applies to almost all aspects of life :yesnod:

i've been doing something similar. my new verte has been leaving ridiculously keen edges right off the stone. doing a few x-strokes on the BBW, strangely enough, has created something of a snag-free yet smooth effect.

I've got a coarse/wiry beard, and my neck is a problem area (left-right), and the only way i've been able to get a flawless (no cuts/irritation) is with a keen edge. too keen and i've been getting irritation, not enough and i get tugging and irritation.

I guess i should give the les lat a second chance. too many possibilities and not enough beard!:lol:

Top Bottom