What's new

Gillette Old Style

Is there any way to ID a year of manufacture on an old-style Gillette from the serial number?

I picked one up for a couple of dollars at an antique store a few weeks ago and just finished polishing up the head (just a little dull looking, actually the head looks unused) and gluing the top and bottom parts back into the cracked (in 2 spots) handle and did a shave with it this morning... (The handle was another matter... completely black with oxidation.)

I was very impressed with the shave. I thought Old Styles were supposed to be aggressive, and I generally do not like aggressive DE razors (HATE my Merkur 34) but I throughly enjoyed the shave and ended up with no irritation at all, and BBS except my neck where I don't go ATG with ANY razor... And this was even with a Gillette green 7 O'clock blade that I had laying around. 12+ hours later and I'm still nearly BBS on the sides of my face and under my jaws.

This was the first time I had ever used an open comb razor and took it slow and easy, but the results were phenomenal.

I tried to see if there was any dates on the case lining, but it's awfully worn, about the only thing I can make out on the case is Gillette and Old Style.

If the case actually says "Old Type" on it, and the razor doesn't have a patent date imprint on the handle or a serial number on the guard plate, then you've definitely got one of the "low price" models made after the original patents expired in 1921 up through 1928.

You mentioned a serial number, though. Does yours have one?

Last edited:
If the case actually says "Old Type" on it, and the razor doesn't have a patent date imprint on the handle or a serial number on the guard plate, then you've definitely got one of the "low price" models made after the original patents expired in 1921 up through 1928.

You mentioned a serial number, though. Does yours have one?

Yes, there is a serial number stamped on the top side of the lower plate. For all I know the case may not be original to the razor.

Top Bottom