What's new

How/When to use Witch Hazel?

I just recently bought a bottle of distilled witch hazel from shopper's drug mart after reading about it's many uses. Right after my shave (after a cold water rinse), I used it as though I was using an aftershave; poured a little on my hands, rubbed them together and then gently rubbed all over face. The initial smell was a little strong but it did leave my skin fairly toned. I then followed with Nivea sensitive ASB which left my face a little red (I'm thinking the 2 products may have had some sort of reaction or perhaps I didn't wait long enough b/c usually the Nivea sensitive ASB calms and tones as well).

My question is, do you guys use it immediately following shaving as well? Apply it with a cotton pad or with your hands as I did? Wait for it to dry and apply an ASB or is it better to just leave it? Also, I'm thinking of also applying it mornings after I wash my face (I shave at night) to help tone and reduce the appearance of some red spots I've gotten from ingrown hairs/minor acne, would this be a good idea or perhaps overload?

Thanks in advance

I think that means probably you got a little razor burn if your skin is getting red. Either that or you have very sensitive skin. Don't use too much of the balm, either. There's really nothing wrong with putting on the balm right away but it's probably better to wait a minute- that'd be a good time to tidy up, maybe wash off the razor and brush, etc. That gives an oppurtunity for the witch hazel to close up the skin and prevent irritation. An alum block or deodorant crystal will do the same thing- and much faster.

I tried the Nivea cooling balm and I find it can be a bit irritating depending on how sensitive the skin is, and is quite toning on its own (it contains sea silt and seashell extracts, for instance). You might be better off not combining these two aftershave treatments. Products contain aloe, allantoin, and silicone/dimethicone are very good for protecting and healing irritated or razor-burned skin, too, without sucking in alot of moisture which can actually be irritating to sensitive skin.

A little redness is normal after using an aftershave but it should go away quickly, within about 15 minutes to thirty minutes- if not your skin is irritated, most likely by razor burn.

Witch hazel made my face red as well tonight after shaving. It stung like h*ll on the 1 nick I got so I'm going to live without it for awhile.

:yesnod: Try Thayer's Alcohol-Free Toner; it contains Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and comes in Unscented, Rose Petal, and Lavender. Been around since 1847; must doing something right or good.

Richard

I use Dickinson's Witch Hazel and I use it after rinsing, first with warm water, followed by cool water (or as cool as water gets in Houston in the summer). I put it on with a cotton ball and rub/daub it around my face.

It seems to be a gentle toner and it does shut down some minor nicks. Rarely do I feel any sting, as with an aftershave. I follow that with an ASB, usually Euphoria, Proraso or Cornhuskers. Proraso, if I remember right, contains witch hazel in it.

It's not expensive and lasts and lasts.

I have also tried Thayers, but for me the Dickinson's worked just as well. YMMV.

Nivea ASB stinks IMHO. It's kind of thin, and yet still manages to be greasy. It also stings a bit and can irritate.

Neutrogena has my vote for the best local dept store bought ASB. It's rich like a lotion, but doesn't leave your skin greasy. It soothes razor irritation with minimal stinging. It also has the added bonus of SPF20 sunscreen formulated right in! The one day I forgot it and went to a picnic, I managed to get sunburned.

Being an everyday use item, it protects you from cumulative sun damage. Just remember to wash it off before using a tanning bed/booth or (heaven forbid!) sunbathing. You want your sun protection coverage to be equal over the entire body to get an even tan.

I purchased the Thayers SuperHazel from whole foods and it states on the uses that it is for razor burn. If anything it takes away redness from my neck area. After shaving.. I cold water rinse and then apply my alum block. Allow it to dry to I get the distinctive tingle... I cold water rinse again to get off the residue and then put some thayers on the cotton ball and clean my entire face with it to aid in removing the alum block and also to soothe the burn I may have got. Plus as many know alum block and proraso pre/post don't mix so this works great in removing the left over alum block so I can apply proraso pre/post once the thayers has air dried while I am cleaning up all the mess. Great stuff... way way way way better than the stuff in the bottles in CVS or Rite Aid or Wallgreens..etc. Just my $.02

Top Bottom