What's new

Pre-shave oil w/saftey razor

Hey mates,

I recently tried a pre-shave oil (Casswell Masey's Almond) w/ my safety razor. My impression is that it did more harm that good in the sense that it seemed to "gunk up" my razor as well as slow down the ability to do long smooth strokes.

Never having used a pre shave oil I expected it to have the feel of something along the lines of a olive oil rather than hair gel.

Do all pre shave oils have this feel, or is this something exclusive the the C.M. brand?

I don't use a preshave oil at all, so I don't know. But some guys here do use olive oil as a preshave oil, so you could try that. Or try just using a good quality shaving soap or cream and the lather.

Yes, you should indeed try olive oil. I have found that it is a far better pre-shave oil than anything from the big manufacterers of shaving products ('Big Shave', as I call them). T&H, Taylors, and many other companies make pre-shave oil and charge an arm and a leg for it - like 20 bucks for 2 ounces.

But you can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for for about 2 cents per day or less.

So while I am not saying that you absolutely need a pre-shave oil, I AM saying that if you decide to use one, don't waste your money on something from a shaving products company. Get something much better and much cheaper at the grocery.

Here is another link that provides great information about Olive Oil as a PSO:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18821

I have never tried that one but I do use them, I am not has fond of the oil based as I am the non oil based but still keep them in the rotation. The thing you might want to insure is you use very very Little. If used properly they should not clog your razor. I have experimented with different amounts and if you use to much if even gets to the point of your razor will glide over your beard and not even cut the hairs. With the right amount I think it helps protect your skin by protecting the upper layers of your skin from abrasion seen or unseen shaving is removing skin. Necessary no but I enjoy them and feel if used over time helps your skin stay healthy.

I use the JR Watkins Lemon Body Oil that you can get at Wal-Mart. I find it to be very light on my face and doesn't gunk up my razors. $6-$8 bucks a bottle I think.

Probably you are using too much, and the oil may be too heavy weight. It just takes a few drops to cover your face and neck.
Olive oil works but I think jojoba is perfect. It is very light and if you use a small amount, will not leave your skin feeling greasy, just soft. Jojoba is available at many health food stores. Olive oil is cheaper though, but neither are very expensive

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to go to Trader Joe's and look for X of Maine Stuff (x because I can't recall the name) among others. I found some Jojoba oil and decided to try it out. Man! What a difference. Smooth on the neck and tough spots. No tugging or pulling even ATG! No irritation, even though I used alcohol AS for the first time. Highly recommended!

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to go to Trader Joe's and look for X of Maine Stuff (x because I can't recall the name) among others. I found some Jojoba oil and decided to try it out. Man! What a difference. Smooth on the neck and tough spots. No tugging or pulling even ATG! No irritation, even though I used alcohol AS for the first time. Highly recommended!

Nice, thanks for the update. I did have some of the same concerns as you guys as far as the oil part of the olive oil on my face, clogged pores etc could be a concern. I'm going to shave tonight and try out some extra virgin, -- I'll keep you all updated.

Hey guys,

I tried extra virgin olive oil today, I didn't really care for it. It still seemed to get in the way of smooth strokes. I think my best strategy is hair conditioner in a hot shower, some kind of non-oil based moisturizer before the shave, and a high qaulity shaving cream.

Hair conditioner can be counter productive. It's made to repair the hair cuticle which you're trying to weaken in order to cut the whiskers with ease. It'll feel smooth just because it's slippery, that's all. Try the Jojoba. Olive oil is too heavy. That or T&H

Hair conditioner can be counter productive. It's made to repair the hair cuticle which you're trying to weaken in order to cut the whiskers with ease. It'll feel smooth just because it's slippery, that's all. Try the Jojoba. Olive oil is too heavy. That or T&H

Yeah, hair c. is a tricky beast. The moisture ones seem to help, but I will admit it's sometimes a grab bag -- I understand your rationale on the science behind it.

I will def. try the jojoba per your rec.

Thanks

You just have to keep experimenting until you find out what works for you and for your unique type of skin. I like a hot shower, washing my face and/or putting hair conditioner on it. After that I rub in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Maybe this is not for everyone (as every guy's beard IS different) but for me it work's spendidly! And EVOO is just so good for your skin. Forget about shvaing - it just makes your skin healthier!

In terms of shaving with it, I have tried using a tiny amount of it and I have even used a lot at once. It always works well. I think the perfect amount is a quantity that would be roughly the same mass a nickel. But that's just for me.

Give it a try a few times and you will see how it works for you.

Not a pre-shave oil (but containing oils), the best pre-shave treatment I have found is Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap, specifically designed as a pre-shave: wash your beard with it before starting the shave, partially rinse with a splash of warm water, then lather. For me, it makes a significant difference. (The soap I used previously for the pre-shave wash was Baxter of California Vitamin E-D-A cleansing bar, which I got from QED.)

Hi;

I just have never figured out the logic for using a preshave oil. It seems that if you want your whiskers to absorb moisure to soften them, then why would you coat them with oil? Even if you apply the preshave oil after you wash and soak your face, any oil you apply then would block out any moisturizers in the soap/cream from being absorbed into your skin. Just seems to be counterproductive. I have tried a couple of preshave oils and never did get any significant improvement in shaving, but I know that some guys swear by them.

BobS

Hi;

I just have never figured out the logic for using a preshave oil. It seems that if you want your whiskers to absorb moisure to soften them, then why would you coat them with oil? Even if you apply the preshave oil after you wash and soak your face, any oil you apply then would block out any moisturizers in the soap/cream from being absorbed into your skin. Just seems to be counterproductive. I have tried a couple of preshave oils and never did get any significant improvement in shaving, but I know that some guys swear by them.

BobS
I must admit that has been confusing to me, too. The only thing I can think of is that not all oils are the same. The oil we're trying to remove from our whiskers is sebaceous material, which has also had a chance to harden around the whisker. Olive oil, sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil, etc. are quite different. And by the time that oil is applied, the whiskers have already been de-oiled and soaked up water, so perhaps the olive oil or whatever actually helps seal the water in. It also improves razor glide, so perhaps that effect makes more difference in getting a close shave without irritation.
I've prepared a little squirt bottle with an ounce of olive oil, and plan to use it tomorrow. Heck, the worst it can do is cause me to have to start over with the Proraso and hot towel...:smile:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hey mates,

I recently tried a pre-shave oil (Casswell Masey's Almond) w/ my safety razor. My impression is that it did more harm that good in the sense that it seemed to "gunk up" my razor as well as slow down the ability to do long smooth strokes.

Never having used a pre shave oil I expected it to have the feel of something along the lines of a olive oil rather than hair gel.

Do all pre shave oils have this feel, or is this something exclusive the the C.M. brand?

While YMMV always applies, I think you will find that most who have used Caswell-Massey shave cream and/or pre-shave oil will agree that it is about the worst product available for shaving.

As far as PSO goes, I use it when I am short on prep time. With a good prep there is not much difference with or without. PSOs I like are, AOS, T&H and JR Watkins. However, I really prefer my Santa Maria Novella pre-shave cream over oil, it really softens the whiskers.

Well, I guess I have to disagree: Caswell-Massey shaving soap is the worst product: you might as well try to get lather from the alum block. YMMV, of course. :smile:

Top Bottom