What's new

low/non-foaming creams/gels

I see alot of these types of creams and gels at the store. They are either low-foam or non-foaming cream. I guess they are pre-emulsified and don't rely upon lathering. Anybody use them, and have any thoughts on them from a traditional or general shaving perspective? They seem to be getting more and more popular. Could lather eventually go the way of the dodo?

Being a Barbasol kind of person in the past, even a bit baffled by gel in a can ("it's flourescent and clear. wierd"), I've never used something like this but am curious.

Clear gels and creams annoy the heck out of me -- I want to be able to see where I've already shaved and where I still need to shave :mad:

That said, I recently tried Stephan Stay Smooth cream (by no means trendy), and while the transparency annoyed me, I did get a good shave from it...

I could see how that might be annoying (shaving for par- avoiding overshaving an area with no lubrication), but it also might be useful. I've got a beard and I've noticed I tend to shave more and more of it "off" each week. Usually the shaving cream bunches up around the whiskers so I know where to stop, but going with what "feels" natural rather than trying to carefuly manicure and prune, my beard has definitely gotten thinner looking. It doesn't look bad, just different.

Now, OTOH, many of these companies claim that clear cream/gel is better because you can see what you haven't shaved. Well, that's true... but OTOH I'm nearsighted enough I can't see individual whiskers anyways when shaving (sometimes I put my glasses on after I'm done with the cheeks and working on the neck). Seems sort of a dubious claim if you ask me... don't most of us go by feel anyways to get a close shave?

It's a strange way of thinking, I'm sure, but I don't think that the idea is all that bad. Before I brought my travel brush, I would change up the system when I traveled to Grooming Lounge Beard Destroyer and a Advance 3 Blade. Worked fine for me, no irritation at all. I could possibly do this every day too, but really enjoy the act of shaving.

I've also used Sharps Kid Glove Shave Gel in the past, and that stuff is great. I should say, that it was great until I realized wetshaving was better. I can see the advantage of seeing which direction your hair grows if you don't know what to look out for. I think it's one of those YMMV cases.

Something else to think about: while here in the States, aresol cans are looked down upon as a cheap alternative and latherless creams/gels are marketed as "advanced" or cutting edge, High End Eroupean comestic lines across the board enter the men's market with cans of goop...

Top Bottom