What's new

Good Soap for sensitive skin?

Been DE shaving for about 4 months now. Still working my way though the sampler pack and still using Proraso soap. I have acne prone, mild rosacea skin. Certain chemicals like benzoyl peroxide cause a hive like rash all over my face. Eucalyptus is supposed to be a rosacea trigger, but so far, I haven't had any bad reactions. I don't particularly enjoy the "cooling" sensation, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some gentle soaps that still produced good lather. I tried using my old Nivea sensitive skin goop with my shaving brush. Needless to say, the pathetic lather paled in comparison to the Proraso. Can anyone vouch for the Proraso Wheat Germ in the red tube? Other suggestions welcome.

am in the same boat as you, ended up learning the hard way the floral soap aren’t good for me!

However the guys here on B&B have great for offering loads of advice for what to do.....

I second the nomination of Honeybee Sue and Mama Bear for their unscented soaps---plus the idea of getting their advice is excellent.

QED also makes an unscented soap, and you might explore that site as well.

I too have sensitive skin, though not the same issues. Some scents/ingredients cause me trouble. Proraso red seems to work just as well as the "standard" green stuff, which is a favorite of mine. The wheat germ cream has less of a cooling sensation. It does contain menthol, if that's a concern. Not everyone cares for the scent.

I've found Em's unscented soap works well for me. You might also try her skindicinal soap, though it does have eucalyptus in it. I get good shaves without it irritating my skin. YMMV, of course. I haven't used Honeybee Sue's unscented soap, but her Yuzu is great, and I expect her unscented will work fine. I'd suggest you contact each of them for info.

I'm also a fan of the AOS unscented cream. I find it lathers and lubricates well and is not as ridiculously expensive as some would have us believe.

Hope this helps.

Two others for your consideration:

• Taylor's Avocado
  • Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort

Though neither are unscented, the scent is mild enough that I have had good luck with these creams. My shaving used to be compared to going to the blood bank; it's much better now.

I've been looking at the Mama Bear's selection (mind boggling). Am I correct that theirs are glycerin based? My Dermatologist always recommended glycerin for washing, and its always worked well for me. I really really like the lather that I get from the Proraso green, so if the Mama Bears are as good or better, then I will probably try those first.

I'm sure you know rosacea outbreaks are triggered by irritants/allergens that people with normal skin shrug off, like benzoyl peroxide (well, benzoyl peroxide causes some redness or peeling even in normal skintypes). So you just need to try out products and see what works and what doesn't, since you say you are OK with eucalyptus you might be able to tolerate alot of different products.

Surrey/Colonel Conk soap is glycerine based and in my experience pretty nice on the skin, not very drying. Hard tallow and triple milled soaps can be more drying and irritating (I don't have rosacea but since I use benzoyl peroxide occasionally, and glycolic acid regularly, I do have sensitive skin), especially if you don't use pre-shave oil.

Mama Bear's soaps I understand are also glycerine based. I haven't tried them yet. Glycerine is an emollient so of course helps to keep the skin from drying out as much.

Also, you might want to try out creams- they are easier and for me at least, more foolproof. Some creams and gels as you've discovered will not lather worth a damn, they aren't meant to. These mass-market products you find at drugstores and groceries are basicly pre-emulsified and meant to use a thin layer on the face, and not really part of traditional wet shaving. Creams like Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face OTOH will generate alot of lather, even though they are more like mass-market products.

Here is an incredible list of rosacea triggers...

http://www.joiedevie.com/common_rosacea_triggers_lists.htm

I would use pure soaps, both cold process and glycerin... the glycerin will be much gentler, but any natural soaps will not contain the detergents that will be a strong trigger..Stay away from storebought soaps...!

Some of the essential oils will help with this, and some will act as triggers, the best bet is do your homework and trial and error.... staying natural will go a long way towards helping tho!

One of the nice things, really nice things about B&B & the other shaving forums is the Shopping Mall/FS-FT forums. If you buy a soap or cream that is
"irritating" to you, you can sell or trade it for something else.

In either case, the FS/FT forums put a nice "stop-limit" on your product experiments. You'll not lose too much for dappling in variety.

Top Bottom