What's new

Opinions on blades for thin/light beard?

I'm new to DE (just finishing my first week), starting with with the DORCO. I've read many of the reviews on blades, understanding the differences in opinions. Some of those differences undoubtably have to do with difference in beard (thick or like me not), and skin sensitivity.

Any recommendations for someone like me with a thin, light beard?

My shave today was the first third pass ATG (on my neck only), and it is very smooth with the DORCO. I'm just beginning, and can feel a little sensitivity today (not too bad).

Here's what's in my sample pack:
DORCO
Dura Sharp Carbon
Dura Sharp Platinum
Super-Max
TREET Platinum
Crystal Platinum
Sputnik Super
Wilkinson Sword
Astra Superior

This should keep me busy for a while, provided none are absolutely awful.

Jeff

P.S. I've been very impressed with vendors in this space, very helpful and courteous (Vintage Blade LLC, Razor and Brush).

Welcome to the B&B Jeff! :biggrin:

Just keep shaving ,you will find what works, add Derbey's and Feather's to round out the group.

I agree with Jim: just keep trying the different brands and notice those which work best. And the more different brands you try, the better---that just makes it more likely that you'll find the perfect blade for you. So you might also try the sampler pack from West Coast Shaving.

V

VR6ofpain

be careful with the Super-Max blades, they are very poor. I shaved with one this morning. I notice three things right now; stubble, irritation, and frustration.

Remember: Gabe's comment reflect Gabe's experience with the blade. Your own experience could be entirely different. But he's right: when you start any new brand, shave carefully. You never know how it will go. Some guys have reported that they get a terrific shave from the SuperMax, but the blade gives out quickly ---after 1 or 2 shaves. In any event, you have to find out what works for you. Gabe now knows the SuperMax doesn't work for him.

F

firebox

Can't go wrong with a slant with feather blades. I just dare anyone to say different.

Any recommendations for someone like me with a thin, light beard?

I have a light beard and have found that Feather blades are the best for me. I have not tried anything that does not come in the LetterK sampler yet though.

Jeff

Can't go wrong with a slant with feather blades. I just dare anyone to say different.

I'll say different. When you've got a "beard" as light as mine, the last thing I need is a aggressive razor with a sharp blade going over my skin with no hair to cut. I prefer less aggressive razors with sharp blades to keep my skin happy.

Top Bottom