What's new

The DE of toothbrushes?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
or how about this little beauty, SWISSCO Badger Bristle Toothbrush
proxy.php

this one looks nice too, Rooney Bone and Bristle Toothbrush

proxy.php

I would love to have one of those brushes with synthetic bristles! I like the classic plain flat toothbrush handle. I can't stand those ergo-comical bent twisted molded cushion grip franken-brushes that have become universal over the past 2 or 3 decades. They absolutely suck. They don't make it easier to brush teeth... I think they make it harder!

The only problem I have with the Rooney brush is the natural bristles. I think for a toothbrush that synthetic bristles will be superior and will last longer.

I'm currently using a Kent handmade natural bristle toothbrush - a bit more effort than an electric but worth it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I love that Rooney handle. I wish they made one with synthetic bristles. I hate those twisty curvy bend-y cushioned molded ergocomical franken-brushes. I like a plain flat handle. like this.

+1 on the SonicCare brushes. Every trip to the dentist the past 5 years has been - "Nothing to fix - see you in 6 months!" I'll go retro a lot of places (fountain pens, motorcycles, guns, and razors) but not for my teeth. I use them too often and want to keep them.

Ive had $15,000+ in dental repairs since the age of 29 (im 33 now) Since using my sonicare at age 31, i havent had so much as a small cavity to fill! I SWEAR BY SONICARE!!!! Great, great invention! I spend the money and replace the heads as soon as they show wear too.......OCD im sure, but did I mention Im both lidocaine and septacaine resistant? OUCH!

I love my DE razors for all the reasons everyone here is familiar with, and find the constant "improvements" in cartridge razor amusing since I have the option of bypassing the hype.
I have in the past while come to be annoyed by the "progress" made in the area of toothbrushes. Every time I get a new one it seems to have more "features"; angled bristles, tongue scrapers, squeegees, extreme angled heads, vibrators, lights, timers etc. And most of them won't even sit on the counter without rolling on theirs side and getting toothpaste everywhere. See where I'm going? Toothbrushes are on the same track as razors. The more they improve the more useless they get.
Yesterday I was in a health food store looking for some vitamins and I came across Fuchs natural bristle toothbrushes, what a revelation! A toothbrush, plain and simple, like I remember as a child. I bought a couple (they were cheap!) and actually enjoyed brushing my teeth last night and looked forward to using it again this morning. Truly the DE experience applied to teeth!

Better lay in a supply of vintage Poli-grip and/or Dentu-creme. When I was a kid, everyone over 60 took out their teeth at night and plunked 'em in a glass of water. I think I'll stick with modern dental technology.

I've probably tried every type of toothbrush even the Sonicares. However, plain and simple is the best. I did however try out some extreme couponing after seeing the show and now I've been getting tons of new toothbrushes, so I won't really complain at the new fancy toothbrushes since I'm getting them for free.

I'll admit to being a bit tongue in cheek on this one. I like the natural bristle brush for the aesthetics, but don't think I'll be using it for the long term. I've had a couple of SoniCare brushes and love them. I've found though that they don't last long, a year or two, and the batteries are not replaceable (not easily anyway). I also just hate feeling like I'm having my pocket picked every time I need new heads.
These are the things I hate about so many disposable products, shaving stuff especially. If I could find a good ultrasonic brush that had rechargeable batteries that could be replaced and heads that don't cost ridiculously more than comparable toothbrushes I'd get it in a heartbeat.

And I still don't get why most modern toothbrushes won't sit bristle/paste side up on the counter!

I like the Naturborsten wooden toothbrush! Though I am still looking for a us dealer, I heard they are made in germany but I am trying to find some con act info!

Attachments

• $toothbrush.jpg
    $toothbrush.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 201
Why would you put toothpaste on your brush and then set it down on the counter? I never put toothpaste on my brush until I am ready to brush my teeth. Then I rinse it off. That way it doesn't matter if the brush "tips" over.

FOr those of you who are re-living this old thread and are curious about the tooth brush sticks, they are real. A miswak is a traditional toothbrush used primarily in Muslim countries, but its use has spread. I recall the locals in Africa using them when I was there. This method of toothbrushing is something like 7000 years old.

proxy.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

While timbit admits to a bit of levity, I think his real gripe (along with mine) is the asthetics of modern manual toothbrushes.
They're more clownish than ever - bright colors, goofy bumps and curves, etc. that are totally useless.

I don't so much care to try natural bristles, but just want a quality brush that fits into the ceramic toothbrush holder built into my bathroom wall. 99% of modern toothbrushes are too big to fit due to the neon green, eco-rubberized, ergonomic, pantented, flex-tech handles. Of course, there are normal-sized brushes at the grocery store, but they tend to be cheaper quality, and at least one I tried had bristles that were actually sharp on the ends.

Top Bottom