What's new

The DE of toothbrushes?

I love my DE razors for all the reasons everyone here is familiar with, and find the constant "improvements" in cartridge razor amusing since I have the option of bypassing the hype.
I have in the past while come to be annoyed by the "progress" made in the area of toothbrushes. Every time I get a new one it seems to have more "features"; angled bristles, tongue scrapers, squeegees, extreme angled heads, vibrators, lights, timers etc. And most of them won't even sit on the counter without rolling on theirs side and getting toothpaste everywhere. See where I'm going? Toothbrushes are on the same track as razors. The more they improve the more useless they get.
Yesterday I was in a health food store looking for some vitamins and I came across Fuchs natural bristle toothbrushes, what a revelation! A toothbrush, plain and simple, like I remember as a child. I bought a couple (they were cheap!) and actually enjoyed brushing my teeth last night and looked forward to using it again this morning. Truly the DE experience applied to teeth!

I have an Oral-B electric and the difference between teethbrushing and shaving, and where it breaks down as far as I'm concerned, is that we don't have doctors (I guess dermatologists?) definitely stating that shaving with a cartridge is better for you than DE shaving. Every dentist I've seen, or oral surgeon (I've had a bunch of gum surgeries), or dental hygenist has told me that, unequivocally, an electric toothbrush is better than a regular one. And they all say that a soft brush is better than any other. I have no idea how "soft" a natural bristle toothbrush would be, but since they're boar bristles, they cannot be that soft.

While timbit admits to a bit of levity, I think his real gripe (along with mine) is the asthetics of modern manual toothbrushes.
They're more clownish than ever - bright colors, goofy bumps and curves, etc. that are totally useless.

Well, they're not totally useless because all that goofy stuff makes them stand out to buy! I remember reading something a while ago about how Tide and other detergent makers expend alot of research trying to find the most arresting colors so that people will focus on them specifically.

I must confess for quite some time now I've gone back to using a manual toothbrush with soft bristles and with a decent toothpaste I have'nt experienced any problems (so far). No battery issues, just pick up and brush....simple. I really don't know what I can say about this any further, my wife uses a fancy electric toothbrush and has no end of trouble with her teeth, i'm a coffee and wine drinker and use a basic traditional tooth brush and my teeth seem fine so far.

Haha-there's a thread about this!...I thought it was just me :) Amen-I'm still looking for a toothbrush with the head of an Oral B, Colgate etc but looks Old-Fashioned, like a SwissCo (not a fan of Boar bristles). Why don't they make plain white, non bulbous looking? It ruins the look of my den, hanging a fluorescent orange or green monstrosity next to my nice MWF ceramic container. I keep my "real" toothbrush in the shower, and have a SwissCo above the sink for looks :wacko:. Might have to give a Sonicare a go one of these days.
-confirmed RetroGrouch

I don't so much care to try natural bristles, but just want a quality brush that fits into the ceramic toothbrush holder built into my bathroom wall. 99% of modern toothbrushes are too big to fit due to the neon green, eco-rubberized, ergonomic, pantented, flex-tech handles. Of course, there are normal-sized brushes at the grocery store, but they tend to be cheaper quality, and at least one I tried had bristles that were actually sharp on the ends.

+1 on the sonicare, I have had the same one for at least 7-8 years without an issue. When I go to the dentist, the hygienist almost always asks if I use one. Seems they can tell by the lack of plaque build up. Last time I was at Walmart I noticed that they are selling generic replacement heads for them now.

For the Sonicare fans, what do you like about them? How is it different? I actually have one here given as a gift years ago, I tried it once but didn't see what the big deal was and figured just another electric toothbrush. I still have it, maybe I should try again. What are it's advantages over a regular toothbrush?

You guys have time to brush your teeth AND shave??

No but I don't get overwhelmed by toothbrushes nor feel they're price gouging near the range of cartridge razors. Just my opinion though.

For the Sonicare fans, what do you like about them? How is it different? I actually have one here given as a gift years ago, I tried it once but didn't see what the big deal was and figured just another electric toothbrush. I still have it, maybe I should try again. What are it's advantages over a regular toothbrush?

What I like about my Sonicare is the check-ups I get at the dentist. I've been using them since they came out and only 1 cavity in the past 10 years. When the hygienist does the poking thing with the numbers on my gums, all the numbers are good and she comments on the lack of plaque on the teeth. I take a manual toothbrush on vacations and trips and I always can't wait to get back to the Sonicare - my teeth subjectively feel cleaner after brushing with it than with a manual toothbrush.

Sure, the brush heads are expensive for the Sonicare, but so are fillings and crowns. I also got a free head from my dentist the last trip - they always give out a bag with toothpaste, floss and a toothbrush. I told him I can't use the brush because I use the Sonicare, wish I could get a brush head. He said no problem, went back to his supplies and brought me one!

Interestingly just had my latest check up with my dentist too and he said that a manual versus electric toothbrush is not as important as is a persons technique. My teeth were fine, no issues so I guess I'll persevere with my traditional manual toothbrush and mouth wash.

I see you, but I received an Oral-B electric for my birthday last year, and my teeth have never been cleaner, it's fantastic.
I doubt I'll ever go back to an regular one.
Same here. We got an Oral B electric a while back and I wouldn't switch back either.

If anyone is interested in being "green-friendly" and being charitable, there is a new start-up in Detroit that sells completely bio-degradable toothbrushes and will donate a toothbrush to the needy in the Detroit area. (I do wonder about the use of Bamboo and using the food source of Pandas up.)
Bogobrush!
http://bogobrush.com/
I saw this first in an article in the Huffington Post...if you are interested.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/bogobrush-biodegradable-toothbrush-detroit_n_2164485.html

I still use a manual toothbrush and have settled on Reach.
The head is slightly angled and the bristles are slightly staggered, which I do see as genuine improvements on the basic design. The handle is flat, so no rolling around on the counter.

All you need is a good soft bristled manual toothbrush, cleaned after use, and changed out a few times a year.

Like much of the wetshave market, when you get beyond the basics you're buying marketing and hype.

Also like wetshaving, you have to brush with the proper technique, technique counts for 90% of the results, but people will focus discussion on the 10% (tools).

Last edited:
Yesterday I was in a health food store looking for some vitamins and I came across Fuchs natural bristle toothbrushes, what a revelation! A toothbrush, plain and simple, like I remember as a child. I bought a couple (they were cheap!) and actually enjoyed brushing my teeth last night and looked forward to using it again this morning. Truly the DE experience applied to teeth!

I am surprised that they are not in the Fuchs GmbH catalog (in German): http://www.fuchs-gmbh.de/de/pdf/SalesFolder_6seitig_300309.pdf

I love my sonicare. The difference for me is that my electric razor gave me an inferior shave that until recently I accepted as good enough. I could never clean my teath as well with a manual toothbrush as I can with my sonicare. Cleanings go much easier at the dentist since I've been using it.

+1000

I love the Sonicare. I also love the timer and the pulse timer every 30 seconds. Basically, it gives you a short "pulse" every 30 seconds to let you know to switch positions then it shuts off after 2 minutes. I'll never go back to a manual toothbrush!

All you need is a good soft bristled manual toothbrush, cleaned after use, and changed out a few times a year.

Like much of the wetshave market, when you get beyond the basics you're buying marketing and hype.

Also like wetshaving, you have to brush with the proper technique, technique counts for 90% of the results, but people will focus discussion on the 10% (tools).

I have to disagree. My feelings on this topic were stated above, and while I agree that technique is important, the tools do make a difference. I used to use a manual brush and even with soft bristles and a light touch, I had a lot of gum recession (and not general hereditary recession). I had to undergo seven gum grafting surgeries over several years. Ever since I've switched, at my dentist's urging, to an electric brush, my checkups have become much more positive. In fact this last time was the very first time that both my dental hygenist and the dentist stated that my gums were in great shape.

And I'm not "selling" anyone on the expensive electrics. In fact the one I got was at Target for less than $20.

Top Bottom