What's new

The DE of toothbrushes?

I love my DE razors for all the reasons everyone here is familiar with, and find the constant "improvements" in cartridge razor amusing since I have the option of bypassing the hype.
I have in the past while come to be annoyed by the "progress" made in the area of toothbrushes. Every time I get a new one it seems to have more "features"; angled bristles, tongue scrapers, squeegees, extreme angled heads, vibrators, lights, timers etc. And most of them won't even sit on the counter without rolling on theirs side and getting toothpaste everywhere. See where I'm going? Toothbrushes are on the same track as razors. The more they improve the more useless they get.
Yesterday I was in a health food store looking for some vitamins and I came across Fuchs natural bristle toothbrushes, what a revelation! A toothbrush, plain and simple, like I remember as a child. I bought a couple (they were cheap!) and actually enjoyed brushing my teeth last night and looked forward to using it again this morning. Truly the DE experience applied to teeth!

I see you, but I received an Oral-B electric for my birthday last year, and my teeth have never been cleaner, it's fantastic.
I doubt I'll ever go back to an regular one.

Man, seriously. I tried to buy the Oral B I like at the grocery. No luck. I guess my Oral B is like the Trac II of tooth brushes. It's not made of Boar's hair, but it was a no frills workhorse.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check the food co-op this week to see if they have these.

I love my sonicare. The difference for me is that my electric razor gave me an inferior shave that until recently I accepted as good enough. I could never clean my teath as well with a manual toothbrush as I can with my sonicare. Cleanings go much easier at the dentist since I've been using it.

I love my sonicare. The difference for me is that my electric razor gave me an inferior shave that until recently I accepted as good enough. I could never clean my teath as well with a manual toothbrush as I can with my sonicare. Cleanings go much easier at the dentist since I've been using it.

+1

My sonicare works so well that I don't mind paying the rather expensive cost for replacement heads. It keeps my teeth cleaner and keeps me away from the dentist's drill. I think it is without a doubt, superior to any other tooth brush.

I love my DE razors for all the reasons everyone here is familiar with, and find the constant "improvements" in cartridge razor amusing since I have the option of bypassing the hype.
I have in the past while come to be annoyed by the "progress" made in the area of toothbrushes. Every time I get a new one it seems to have more "features"; angled bristles, tongue scrapers, squeegees, extreme angled heads, vibrators, lights, timers etc. And most of them won't even sit on the counter without rolling on theirs side and getting toothpaste everywhere. See where I'm going? Toothbrushes are on the same track as razors. The more they improve the more useless they get.
Yesterday I was in a health food store looking for some vitamins and I came across Fuchs natural bristle toothbrushes, what a revelation! A toothbrush, plain and simple, like I remember as a child. I bought a couple (they were cheap!) and actually enjoyed brushing my teeth last night and looked forward to using it again this morning. Truly the DE experience applied to teeth!

And just to answer my own question:

Fuchs (pronounced like the word “future”) is a German word meaning “fox”; the distinctive fox logo appears on the entire line of Fuchs dental care.
I can see myself walking into the local grocery and asking "hey, where are the Fuchs toothbrushes" and pronouncing it wrong. A most unfortunate name for non-German speakers... :001_smile

-jim

That gives me an idea....I think I will set my Futur on 6.5, lather up, and see if I can shave the scum from my teeth (no pressure of course). Can anyone suggest a great tasting soap?

I gave up my multi-bristled monstrosities years ago for a sharpened stick. There's a bit of a learning curve but I love the zen aspect of it and the fact that I finally have a bit of manful me-time doing things the way my great-great-grandfather did them.

I gave up my multi-bristled monstrosities years ago for a sharpened stick. There's a bit of a learning curve but I love the zen aspect of it and the fact that I finally have a bit of manful me-time doing things the way my great-great-grandfather did them.

Umm, I think you are doing it wrong. :blink:

Attachments

• $chewstick.jpg
    $chewstick.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 839

I've never heard of this. At first I was skeptical that this was even a serious comment. (It is isn't it?)

Can someone be so kind to post pictures?

I'm genuinely curious.

While I appreciate the desire to go retro and use natural products, toothbrushes are one area where I like the modern technology. I have a Waterpik Ultra water-jet. Its not so much a brush as it is an oral-care "system." It gets my teeth cleaner than anything else I've ever tried. And it reaches below the gums and between teeth that a bristle brush can't touch.

I've use natural bristle brushes before. I think I got mine from C&E many, many years ago. It had a wooden handle and boar bristles, and while I liked the aesthetic value, The wood deteriorated, the bristles fell out, it got clogged with toothpaste that wouldn't wash out, and it developed a funky odor in a short period of time. All that made it useless for cleaning teeth. I regretted the $15 or so I spent on this indulgence, and never got another one.

or how about this little beauty, SWISSCO Badger Bristle Toothbrush
proxy.php

this one looks nice too, Rooney Bone and Bristle Toothbrush

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom