What's new

Changing from low grit to high grit on a pasted strop

I have a Tony Miller 4 sided paddle strop, it has four grits of diamond paste on it. The only ones I use are the 20000 and 30000 mesh. I think the unused panels are roughly 10,000-15,000. I would ideally like to have some of the really fine stuff on the unused panels.

Is possible to get rid of, or negate, the lower grit diamond paste on the leather? Could I strop it into oblivion with an ebay special before my arm falls off? I'd rather not sand as Tony does put a rather nice finish on the leather but I am considering it.

I've made balsa strops and have spare balsa wood, I've also got unused sides of vintage strops I could apply new pastes to. It's not that I don't have anywhere to put new pastes and more that I'd like my 4 sided paddle strop to be home to my four favourite pastes, as opposed to 50% of it being neglected.

Thoughts?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don't think you could remove all the lower grit from the leather. But there is no harm in trying. I think a good waterless cleanser might take most of it out, then a light sanding with high grit sandpaper to be extra sure. If after that you aren't getting good edges you could strip off the old leather and glue on some new.
I know Tony has been making strops again so he may be able to sell you new leather for it.

Did this ever get tried? Stropping to oblivion, heavy duty cleanser, etc? I have come across a few old 4 sided paddle strops with bad leather, and one or two with good, but they all had pastes on them, and there was no way of telling what those pastes were! This would be valuable information to have for anyone wanting to pick up a vintage paddle strop without redoing the leather.

I think it's hard to get rid of it all.
And there would just need to be a trace amount left to totally kill your edge in the spot that it hits.

Top Bottom