What's new

well...i've officially ditched the creams, soaps and brushes

I have been DE shaving now using creams/soaps for a couple of months, and have very much enjoyed the experience and the learning curve.

As per a recent post on here, I had decided to try DE shaving using my previous Mach 3 shaving product of choice - Zirh Gel. I found the subsequent shave to be amazingly smooth and comfortable... more so than any creams/soaps I had used (although don't get me wrong, these were fantastic).

I have been shaving with the Zirh gel now for about a week, and have had such consistantly smooth and comfortable shaves, that I have now decided that this is how I would like to continue, and thus have stopped using the brush/soap/cream.

Even though I am using a 'new school' shaving product, I don't have any plans to revert back from using my DE - the shaves are great, and the blades are cheap. I am quite happy with my mix of old/new shaving ways... even if it means my morning shave is not quite as luxurious as before! :001_smile

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It's all about what works for you. If this set up is the best shave you feel you can get, then its right. Can I have your creams, soaps and brushes? :biggrin:

I just saw the Zirh this weekend for the first time ($33 a tub:eek: ). i assume you're saying you don't use a brush with this stuff? Does it lather?

I'll arm-wrassle ya for 'em!!!!:tongue:

You apply with your hands. It doesn't lather - just stays as a super slick gel on your face.

And yes, it is expensive :scared: but it works great for me.

I never enjoyed the Zirh gel but I did always get good results with the Zirh cream... although I haven't tried it with the DE.

To each his own..

BTW I am afraid to say but the Wet Shaving Police
will be knocking down your bathroom door tomorrow morning
... so be prepared :smile:

What??? After all these weeks of prowling the internet for the latest rave in cream and soap nirvana, you are going back to using a can of, what did you call it, goo, and - god forbid - your hand. Blasphemous old boy, blasphemous. :biggrin:

What??? After all these weeks of prowling the internet for the latest rave in cream and soap nirvana, you are going back to using a can of, what did you call it, goo, and - god forbid - your hand. Blasphemous old boy, blasphemous. :biggrin:

Hey - it's in a jar, not a can :001_tt2:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You apply with your hands. It doesn't lather - just stays as a super slick gel on your face.

And yes, it is expensive :scared: but it works great for me.

I believe that Feather makes a similar product, available at classicshaving.com (and probaby other spots too.) You may be interested in trying this out, to compare to your Zirh.

"There is no standard in wet shaving, and expression must be free. This liberating truth is a reality only in so far as it is 'experienced and lived' by the individual himself; it is a truth that transcends styles or disciplines. Remember, too, that wet shaving is merely a term, a label to be used as a boat to get one across; once across, it is to be discarded and not carried on one's back"

Ok, so that quotation is about martial arts and I changed it for my purpose. However in shaving I believe you should keep what is useful to you and discard what is not. I may try the Zirh gel and cream myself eventually. I'm here to discover how I can get a decent shave and enjoy the process, whatever that process turns out to be. I'm glad you've made some progress.

Now, send me all your unused creams, soaps and other assorted shaving goods and we'll say no more about it :w00t:

"There is no standard in wet shaving, and expression must be free. This liberating truth is a reality only in so far as it is 'experienced and lived' by the individual himself; it is a truth that transcends styles or disciplines. Remember, too, that wet shaving is merely a term, a label to be used as a boat to get one across; once across, it is to be discarded and not carried on one's back"

Ok, so that quotation is about martial arts and I changed it for my purpose. However in shaving I believe you should keep what is useful to you and discard what is not. I may try the Zirh gel and cream myself eventually. I'm here to discover how I can get a decent shave and enjoy the process, whatever that process turns out to be. I'm glad you've made some progress.

Now, send me all your unused creams, soaps and other assorted shaving goods and we'll say no more about it :w00t:
Is that Bruce Lee from the Tao of Jeet Kune Do? I don't quite remember - I took what was useful from the book and then discarded it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Well I'm glad to see you found a good set up that works for you. Over the years I have been all over the map with shave set ups.

One thing I always crave though is applying nice warm lather with a brush. So, just because you have found Zirh doesn't mean you have to give up the brush. Every once in a while you can whip up some lather and bask in it's luxurious warmth. It will make a good shave prep with a warm towel. Then go ahead and use the Zirh... if you must.

Hey guy, if it works for you, by all means do it.

I see nothing much wrong with it. After all, I used to whip lather up with King of Shaves gel (not nearly comparable to a cream or soap, though) as best I could and it worked fairly well. That's when I used a Mach 3 and started employing wet shaving principles into my routine, before switching over to the Merkur HD.

I always had a love/hate relationship with the Mach 3 and it was very unreliable for me, sometimes it'd produce a really good shave and other times it'd tear me up. And me getting only 2, 3 at the most shaves from one cartridge was getting ridiculous.

Almost makes me wanna lather (if that's the word for it) up some King of Shaves and go at it with the HD :)

-Allen

I have to admit some of the best shaving I have done recently has been with a double edged razor... and canned shaving cream.

Interesting! I think I might try this as well... I like the soaps and creams and brush thing, but for those days that time is short it might actually be a good solution. And as OldSaw suggested it is still possible to use the lather/brush/towel prep as described by Kyle.

every now and again I am tempted to try the mach 3 again for kicks...then I think about shelling out 12 bucks for cartridges...then I remember the gummed up multi-blades (one pass, then basically a full razor wash), then I remember the pulling and the ingrowns...then I do not try the mach 3.

I think for just a quick , 1 pass, WTG shave they might be OK. Perhaps I should be quiet until I actually try them again...there is no doubt that improved shave prep would improve a mach 3 shave.

Top Bottom