What's new

*Warning-Spoilers, see post #697* - HBO's Game of Thrones

Any other fans of this show out there? There have been so many plot twists in this series so far, I find myself eagerly anticipating each new show on Sunday night. The acting is fantastic, the sets and scenery is great (Ireland and Malta, I believe), and the character development has been top notch. I never read the books on which the show is based, but may have to at some point.

Definitely not a show for the young'uns, but the lovely Mrs. Camjr likes it as much as I do.

Cheers!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Haven't missed one yet. Great show with everything one could ask for; blood, sex, intrigue, great character development, scenery. And it doesn't interfere with The Killing on AMC.

My plan now is to read the books this summer. I really like the show. I even cheated and read the plot for the first series of books on wiki. Going to try to find them all this summer and read away.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For my entire life, I could never stand stories involving witchcraft, fantasy, mythology, sorcery, mysticism, and the like, the sole exception being the original Jason and the Argonauts movie. Yet I love this series, although it may lose me when Dany fails to get burned to a crisp when she walks into a fire because she's a dragon.

I didn't think I would liek the series and only started watching after the third show - now I am going back to watch the whole series with ON DEMAND feature.

My plan now is to read the books this summer. I really like the show. I even cheated and read the plot for the first series of books on wiki. Going to try to find them all this summer and read away.

Be warned...the books are not finished yet and the author takes a reeeeeaally long time to complete the next book. I have read them all up to date and am waiting for the next book...the wait has been about 6 years so far.

I like this show too. I would say that it is pretty close to the books, but moves alot quicker as can be expected when a book is adapted to a TV show.
I am a big fan of the Fantasy genre, whether it be books or movies. The story line of this show and books is almost out of the realm of fantasy, IMO. It has fantasy aspects and characters, but is more of a book about political intrigue then it is fantasy. Either way I find it an enjoyable hour each week.

Be warned...the books are not finished yet and the author takes a reeeeeaally long time to complete the next book. I have read them all up to date and am waiting for the next book...the wait has been about 6 years so far.

Yeah, kind of went through the same thing with The Dark Tower series.

Good show, the books are better, but a very long and difficult read with all the plot twists (I can usually read a Clancy novel in a night or two, the first book took me nearly a week!) I went through the same thing with the Dark Tower series as well and IMO King rushed too hard to finish them up in the end. I think I'd have rather waited, hopefully Martin is taking his time to get things right.
I really hope that HBO goes through the whole series of books though and doesn't end it early.

Legion

Staff member
SWMBO is addicted. We have to download it because it is not on TV here yet, but at the end of every episode she is always "Awww! Sonofa..." and then waiting very impatiently for the next episode. I quite like it too, HBO are good for series we can watch together.

The series is pretty good. As true to the books as one could hope.

Now that they are on the air we can hope that Mr. Martin, portly fellow that he is, will find the time to finish the series.

I'm liking it much more than I thought. My favorite character is the dwarf. The actor is is so good you forget his size until someone mentions it.

I also like the actor who plays the lord who owns all the brothels. He played the newly elected major of Baltimore on the last seasons of "The Wire" with an accent so perfect you'd never know he was English (then again, many of the key roles on The Wire were played by Brits).

But the Stark family has got to be the biggest bunch of idjits ever. How could someone possibly rule any kind of kingdom and have no sense of politics and intrigue whatsoever?

Love the series, love the books. Dance with Dragons will be out July 12th, for those who haven't heard, and according to GRRM he's already started working on the next novel.

Ouch, there's really not much magic/sorcery in the series. What you've mentioned is one of the very few things. I typically hate that stuff too, which is why I like this so much. Lord of the Rings level is really about as much magic/sorcery I can handle in a fantasy series.

If anyone likes board games, all of the Game of Thrones games put out by Fantasy Flight Games are fantastic. I have Game of Thrones: The Board Game, Game of Thrones LCG, and Battles of Westeros. The 3rd one there is the only one easily available, but Game of Thrones: TBG is probably the best of the lot. They are reprinting the LCG for those that like card games and I think TBG as well, just not available yet. They are also coming out with a video game eventually.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I understand Syrio Forel is supposed to be a cool tough guy, but didn't it occur to him to pick up one of the steel swords for his fight?

Love the series, love the books. Dance with Dragons will be out July 12th, for those who haven't heard, and according to GRRM he's already started working on the next novel.

Ouch, there's really not much magic/sorcery in the series. What you've mentioned is one of the very few things. I typically hate that stuff too, which is why I like this so much. Lord of the Rings level is really about as much magic/sorcery I can handle in a fantasy series.

If anyone likes board games, all of the Game of Thrones games put out by Fantasy Flight Games are fantastic. I have Game of Thrones: The Board Game, Game of Thrones LCG, and Battles of Westeros. The 3rd one there is the only one easily available, but Game of Thrones: TBG is probably the best of the lot. They are reprinting the LCG for those that like card games and I think TBG as well, just not available yet. They are also coming out with a video game eventually.

I'll believe that when I have it in my hands.

I'll believe that when I have it in my hands.

That's the truth. Supposedly Dance with Dragons was just the second half of the previous book. He wrote it all at once and then the realized that it was too big to publish as one book so they broke it into two books. Dance with Dragons was supposed to be out a year after the last book.

I understand Syrio Forel is supposed to be a cool tough guy, but didn't it occur to him to pick up one of the steel swords for his fight?

I know right. The stub of wood wasnt doin him any good. Being the first sword of "wherever" I guess he thought he could take him with the wooden stake.

That's the truth. Supposedly Dance with Dragons was just the second half of the previous book. He wrote it all at once and then the realized that it was too big to publish as one book so they broke it into two books. Dance with Dragons was supposed to be out a year after the last book.

And six years later, still we wait. I wouldn't mind except I've forgotten so much.

Top Bottom