What's new

*Warning-Spoilers, see post #697* - HBO's Game of Thrones

I guess I'll be the lone voice the other way. I haven't read the books, but eventually will, and I DON'T think it's OK for the show to follow the books and then suddenly curve off to a completely different 'universe'. I was actually really disappointed that Peter Jackson added characters (unnecessarily) when bringing Tolkien's work to the screen. Similarly with those 'based on a true story' shows where story elements are inserted as necessary to fill gaps or make for a "better viewing experience". I mean, seriously, if you cannot just follow the 'script', you should instead be creating your own show from the beginning and leave already-established stories well enough alone. If I were GRRM, there's no way I'd assist HBO in competing with my creation like that.

I guess I'll be the lone voice the other way. I haven't read the books, but eventually will, and I DON'T think it's OK for the show to follow the books and then suddenly curve off to a completely different 'universe'. I was actually really disappointed that Peter Jackson added characters (unnecessarily) when bringing Tolkien's work to the screen. Similarly with those 'based on a true story' shows where story elements are inserted as necessary to fill gaps or make for a "better viewing experience". I mean, seriously, if you cannot just follow the 'script', you should instead be creating your own show from the beginning and leave already-established stories well enough alone. If I were GRRM, there's no way I'd assist HBO in competing with my creation like that.

So far things have been very close to the books. The biggest change was Robs wife last season, but that is a moot point now (whereas she wasn't at the Red Wedding in the books and was a Westerosi noble, not a foriegn medic).

Other small changes such as Bronn training Jaime instead of Illyn Payne (the tongue-less executioner) don't bother me very much. There is a lot of stuff in the show that wasn't in the book but 99% of it follows the tone and intent if the books. I am satisfied with the way the show had mirrored the books.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like the way the show is going. To me the books and the TV show are 2 separate things. The TV show is adapted from the books. Adapted means to modify something for a different purpose. It does not have to be exact.

If the TV show followed the books to the T then it would be less entertaining in my opinion. For one there would be about 50 more characters added. It would also be very slow. It is season 4 now, but had the show followed the books exactly I'd imagine season 4 would be telling season 2's story right now.

The writers for the show have done a great job pulling the best characters and the main stories for each. They portray them on screen in a way that holds our attention and moves the show along.
I believe it's impossible to take a series of books like these and write it for the screen without cutting some things out. It would not be as good if they didn't modify for TV.

Thank got for a DVR. If I wouldnt own one I would have missed almost every episode there is. Some times I wait a few shows before I watch them so I can do a whole day of them. I do the same for 4 other shows I watch..

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thank got for a DVR. If I wouldnt own one I would have missed almost every episode there is. Some times I wait a few shows before I watch them so I can do a whole day of them. I do the same for 4 other shows I watch..

I do that with several shows I watch too. Less interesting shows.

I couldn't do it with GoT though. I have to watch it ASAP. I follow GoT on Twitter and it didn't help that they were tweeting everyday "100 sleeps until the season premier".. "70 sleeps until the premier"...."30 sleeps until the premier". They really drove me nuts!

I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of stuff they did in the 2nd installment of The Hobbit. I thought Legolas and the "she elf" were entirely unnecessary. I also thought it was a little ridiculous how they were dogged by the Orcs the entire movie.

As far as I can tell, some of the changes to this show vs the books have mainly been practical. Robb's wife in the book was the princess of a far away kingdom. Instead of trying to get Robb to that geographic location, have him fall in love etc, it was much more practical for him to fall in love with his nurse. He dies anyways, so who cares right?

Sacrifices have to be make (harhar) and Martin has done script writing and production for Television before (Beauty and the Beast TV show in the late 80s or early 90s).

I haven't watched this week yet, but they can't really sustain things at a constant OMG level of last weeks episode. Then the show would be called "Sons of Anarchy" and it would not be as good. Give me solid story and good pacing over constant spectacle any day.

I dig the soundtrack ofthe show.

Gotta love that rowboat like impending doom song they have conjured up for Daenys. They played it when she layed waste to Astapor and it was in the most recent episode.

Wish they were able to keep the old Daario Naharis (think he signed on to do the new Transporter movies) but I guess this new guy will suffice. :sleep:

Gotta love that rowboat like impending doom song they have conjured up for Daenys. They played it when she layed waste to Astapor and it was in the most recent episode.

Wish they were able to keep the old Daario Naharis (think he signed on to do the new Transporter movies) but I guess this new guy will suffice. :sleep:

I thought he was different!

Game of Thrones has great music. The introductory music is my favorite.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

I LOVE LOVE the music when the Thenn clan shows up. Styr (The Thenn leader) is my favorite character this season and I think it's because of his soundtrack. Not to mention his ruthlessness and lack of any care for humanity.

And yes the old Daario was much better.

Top Bottom