What's new

*Warning-Spoilers, see post #697* - HBO's Game of Thrones

Interesting theory. But...how can Tyrion have Targeryen lineage? Both his father and mother is known to us. Could his mother have Targeryen blood? If so, shouldn't his siblings also have it?

Interesting theory. But...how can Tyrion have Targeryen lineage? Both his father and mother is known to us. Could his mother have Targeryen blood? If so, shouldn't his siblings also have it?

In the books it is insinuated that Tyrion's mother had an affair with Dany's father.

I pulled some content from wikipedia because I don't have my books with me.

Joanna married her first cousin, Tywin, in 263 AC in a lavish ceremony in the Great Sept of Baelor. On their wedding day, Tywin smiled, a very rare occurrence. However at the wedding feast, Aerys drunkenly japed about how it was a pity the first night tradition was banned, and he took certain "unwonted liberties" with Joanna in the bedding ritual when the men at the feast had to disrobe the bride.

Not long thereafter, Joanna was dismissed by Queen Rhaella from her service in King's Landing. While Queen Rhaella turned a blind eye towards most of her husband's infidelities, she did not approve when it concerned one of her own "ladies." (Joanna was one of many ladies to be sent away from court.) She departed for Casterly Rock at once, and seldom visited King's Landing afterwards.

Joanna's marriage to Tywin was reportedly a happy one. Joanna became Tywin's trusted counselor and companion. Her influence on her husband was such that people would say that Tywin ruled the Seven Kingdoms as Hand of the King, "but was ruled at home by his lady wife."

In 266 AC, Joanna gave birth to Cersei and Jaime, with Tywin present. King Aerys ordered Tywin to bring Joanna and the children to King's Landing when the children were old enough to travel, but Lord Tytos Lannister died before this could occur. Instead, Tywin, Aerys, Prince Rhaegar, and half the court went to the Westerlands in 267 AC, where they would remain for most of next year.
Joanna did attend the anniversary tourney in King's Landing in 272 AC, held to celebrate King Aerys' tenth year on the throne. There, King Aerys insulted Joanna, by asking her if nursing her children had ruined her breasts. Tywin, who was also present, was angered, and tried to resign as Hand of the King the next day, but King Aerys refused.

At some point within the next year, Joanna's servant caught Jaime and Cersei together, engaged in some kind of sexual activity. Joanna sent the maid away, moved Jaime's chamber to the other side of the castle, and put a guard outside of Cersei's chamber. She then warned her twins that they must never do such a thing again, or else she would be forced to tell their father. But it was not long thereafter, in 273 AC, that Joanna died giving birth to Tyrion.

During her time as Queen Rhaella's lady-in-waiting, Joanna had befriended the Princess of Dorne, another member of the court. The Dornish Princess had two children, Oberyn and Elia Martell, who were not yet promised in marriage, so the two women planned to have their children be wed to each other. Unfortunately, Joanna died birthing her youngest son while the Martells were on their way to Casterly Rock. Once confronted on the subject, Lord Tywin bluntly refused all the offers (Jaime wed to Elia, Cersei wed to Oberyn, or both), and instead offered newborn Tyrion for Princess Elia, an offer meant to be insulting.

According to Barristan, King Aerys II lusted for Joanna Lannister, something that caused friction between the King and his Hand. Ser Barristan, choosing his words with care, goes on to tell Dany of her father's behaviour during the wedding feast of Tywin and Joanna and during the bedding.

Here is Tyrion's description from book 1.

Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin's brood, and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother's height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute's squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white. Jon watched him with fascination...

In the books, a telltale Targaryen trait is lilac/purple eyes and silver-blond hair.

You heard it here first! Good catch. I've read the books twice but long enough ago that much of the detail GRRM likes to weave into the stories is forgotten.

In the books it is insinuated that Tyrion's mother had an affair with Dany's father.

I pulled some content from wikipedia because I don't have my books with me.

Here is Tyrion's description from book 1.

In the books, a telltale Targaryen trait is lilac/purple eyes and silver-blond hair.
Thanks for the explanation. I've been busy at work and typing on the phone is laborious. There are other things too. Tyrion has dreams of dragons in the books and seems to be surrounded by things relating to dragons (him and Shae have...umm...relations in a dragon's skull). Nor to mention he is now conveniently in Mareen ruling Dani's kingdom.

Sent from the Danger Phone

I predict that, since the show is now writing the story, the book readers will feel agregiously let down when it's all said and done, and the non readers will be left with a lot of, "But...!" and "What about...!" 's at the end.

I love the show, but I don't see them wrapping it all up in a neat package. Such is usually the way of things.

Okay, so the wife clued me in on an article today. You can read it here...

In a nut shell, it is a theory about Hodor and why the only thing he can say is "Hodor!"

Basically it says that Hodor was a warg and that he warged into Lyanna Stark's horse and then stayed there too long and lost his mind. They have some information from the books and the show that support this...kind of. Anyway, it's something else to read and think about until the next episode.

That's an interesting theory. It would help to have witnesses to things in the past. Some people are also saying that
Howland Reed, the only person besides Ned, to survive the Tower of Joy is the High Sparrow. If so, and Jon is L+R kid, he can attest to it.

That's an interesting theory. It would help to have witnesses to things in the past. Some people are also saying that
Howland Reed, the only person besides Ned, to survive the Tower of Joy is the High Sparrow. If so, and Jon is L+R kid, he can attest to it.

Yeah, my wife is a very big believer of this theory. There are so many facets to these books I am not sure how the books can be wrapped up. This season on the show is going to be very interesting!

I love GoT.

I don't want it to ever end.

proxy.php

Last edited:
^^ Best scene of the whole episode!

I thought this episode was eh, totally a setup episode. Nothing really happened except little things to setup or move characters around. Still good though ;)

I'm wondering what's the big horrible thing that they started hinting at that was done to The Mountain? Oberyn almost killed him, but we know how that ended. Ugh... But then we didn't see Gregor since until he came back like this. Pretty curious...

Kind of fun to see Varis do his thing. I kind of liked "his little birds" being something of a secret though.

You think Bran is going to develop time travel/change history powers? That was interesting that Ned seemed to hear him in the flashback...

I'm also wondering what the final role for Arya could possibly be. Didn't care for a long time, but now that she's getting this faceless assassin thing down, and with the promo hall of faces art for this season.... Hmmm...

I think Bran is going to be the witness to show us all the relevant backstory. This is what happened to Lyanna at the Tower of Joy, oh, and Howland Reed can back me up. This is how the White Walkers were defeated back in the day, oh here's the McGuffin we need to defeat them now.

Arya will probably be the awesome assassin who rebels against the Faceless Men and helps the heroes in their time of need, after finding her dire wolf Nymira still alive.

^^ Best scene of the whole episode!

I thought this episode was eh, totally a setup episode. Nothing really happened except little things to setup or move characters around. Still good though ;)

I'm wondering what's the big horrible thing that they started hinting at that was done to The Mountain? Oberyn almost killed him, but we know how that ended. Ugh... But then we didn't see Gregor since until he came back like this. Pretty curious...

Kind of fun to see Varis do his thing. I kind of liked "his little birds" being something of a secret though.

You think Bran is going to develop time travel/change history powers? That was interesting that Ned seemed to hear him in the flashback...

I'm also wondering what the final role for Arya could possibly be. Didn't care for a long time, but now that she's getting this faceless assassin thing down, and with the promo hall of faces art for this season.... Hmmm...

The Mountain dies and Qyburn brought him back...unnaturally. They have mentioned a few times (including this past episode) that Qyburn was kicked out of the Citadel (where the Maesters and trained and governed) for his unholy experimentation. My wife has taken to calling Gregor Clegane (AKA The Mountain) as Franken Mountain.

The whole Bran calling his Dad in the past and maybe being able to change history/future thing has me intrigued also. There are references in the books about people hearing Bran or the Three Eyed Raven. Even if they can't directly change the past, maybe they can influence those in the past to change the future.

Arya is probably my second third favorite character in the books. She is seriously going to be a threat pretty soon. While she was doing her blind training, I was calling her Zatoichi...the Blind Swordsman.

Top Bottom