What's new

To The Men Who Wear Fedoras

I have 6 fedoras from Bailey's of Hollywood (Tino model) ; can't recommend them enough, and they're not so expensive that you would be heartbroken by hurting one.

I buy Stetson and Mallory exclusively. Most of my hats are purchased off eBay. However, I do have a local haberdasher to look to for selection. His hats are greatly overpriced, so I will not partake of his service, but to model headgear prior to my searching it out online. Do a little research and learn about the brands you are interested in. Often a XXXX beaver can be had for $50 off eBay if you know how to shop. It would cost you a pretty penny if it were new. Plus, I have learned, that modern hatters can at best emulate a vintage style, whereas the original hat can be had for a fraction of their price.

I think it's a real shame that Resistol only offers Western hats. Resistol hats are the most comfortable I've ever worn.

That may be true today, but they used to offer fedoras. In fact, one of my favorite fedoras is a Resistol San Antonio in Silverbelly. It's a clone of the Stetson Open Road.

I'd suggest that the OP take a look at the Open Road style hat if he remembers a fedora style hat with that a farmer might wear back in the day. It can be creased in a variety of ways, from the teardrop style to the three dent of LBJ fame.

Here's Jimmy Stewart in an Open Road style hat

proxy.php

here is my everyday go to hat...it is called "The Tucker" after the Tucker Automobile. It is in the Hickory color (browns) and it goes well with about anything. It is very similar to the Open Road....It can be worn with a suit as well as casually. Art Fawcett took my ideas and allowed me to name it and he created it....you will see it on his website, too.

$100_0711_thumb.jpg

I buy Stetson and Mallory exclusively. Most of my hats are purchased off eBay. However, I do have a local haberdasher to look to for selection. His hats are greatly overpriced, so I will not partake of his service, but to model headgear prior to my searching it out online. Do a little research and learn about the brands you are interested in. Often a XXXX beaver can be had for $50 off eBay if you know how to shop. It would cost you a pretty penny if it were new. Plus, I have learned, that modern hatters can at best emulate a vintage style, whereas the original hat can be had for a fraction of their price.

You won't find one often at that price as there are some very informed vintage hat collectors out there. Not to mention if you happen to be a particular size that is in demand the price immediately goes up. A lot of them have moth holes. As far as modern day hatters emulating vintage style, all of those vintage hatters emulated each other. I have many vintage Mallorys, Stetsons, Adams, Knox and Borsalinos. I love them and some of them are outstanding. They were all considerably North of $50. The quality of the beaver used in those vintage felts is not available today. That is the main difference between today's custom hat and the hats of old. The quality of workmanship of some of the modern hatters is beyond what was available in the vintage days. If you want a perfect fit, styled the way you want and in the color that you desire, find a reputable hatter like Art Fawcett to make it for you. You can then fill in your collection with selected, high quality vintage pieces.

Yessir, that does look like the hat my granddad used to wear! Thanks, Topgumby.

That may be true today, but they used to offer fedoras. In fact, one of my favorite fedoras is a Resistol San Antonio in Silverbelly. It's a clone of the Stetson Open Road.

I'd suggest that the OP take a look at the Open Road style hat if he remembers a fedora style hat with that a farmer might wear back in the day. It can be creased in a variety of ways, from the teardrop style to the three dent of LBJ fame.

Here's Jimmy Stewart in an Open Road style hat

proxy.php

I have 6 fedoras from Bailey's of Hollywood (Tino model) ; can't recommend them enough, and they're not so expensive that you would be heartbroken by hurting one.

I can't compete with the dedication and financial commitment the above members have to the "fedora-wearing community", but if you want to try out an Indy style and not worry about losing a lot of money, or in fact ruining something a bit special, I really recommend this from Hoggs of Fife. I washed all the wax off it, after going out in the cold and nearly getting a migrane, but what you're left with is a well-shaped, hardwearing, crushable 100% cotton hat. And at 19 GBP each, I got 2! Worn over a denim jacket it looks very nice, but not like you're trying too hard. All you UK hat-virgins out there, I give you......The Indiana from Hoggs of Fife

Attachments

• $hoggs indiana.jpg
    $hoggs indiana.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom