What's new

Frank Shaving brushes

I just purchased one as the regular brush to keep at a place where I spend one or two nights a week. I'm curious to hear any of your thoughts on these brushes. I bought a silvertip brush (here's the link to it if you're curious): http://shop.starshaving.com/Silvertip-Badger-Hair-Shave-Brush-0011.htm

My regular daily brush is a Merkur Futur; I used the FSC brush for the first time this morning. I definitely have some thoughts about it but as I'm still a newbie to this I'd like to hear from more seasoned shavers who may have purchased / used this brush.

Thanks.

I have several Frank brushes and like them very much. The silvertip is soft and does a fine job for me on both soaps and creams. Probably one of the best bargain brushes out there.

I am using two FS Finest badger brushes in my rotation. For the money they are a best buy. I have a Rooney 3/1, a Truefitt & Hill 3/1 and a Simpson "Eshan" X2L Colonel that I call my control brushes. I compare every other brush against them. The only other brushes that I use, that are slightly better then the FS finest, are my vintage restores, using TGN Finest 22mm, short length, knots.

I know that many people love them and they are a great buy. My experience was with 1 and it was a awful shedder...... I certainly did not feel bad about it's trip to the round file due to it's price.

I have two finest and one silvertip from FS-none have ever shed a hair, the silvertip is very soft, not as dense as a much more expensive brush but still very good. I prefer the finest brushes as they are still soft but have a bit more backbone. All are fine with creams and soaps and are great face latherers. Are they as good as a 200 usd Rooney finest? No. Do they cost 1/8th as much? Yes. The handles are nicely shaped the cream, black and butter scotch are well done. Very good value.

I have two finest and one silvertip from FS-none have ever shed a hair, the silvertip is very soft, not as dense as a much more expensive brush but still very good. I prefer the finest brushes as they are still soft but have a bit more backbone. All are fine with creams and soaps and are great face latherers. Are they as good as a 200 usd Rooney finest? No. Do they cost 1/8th as much? Yes. The handles are nicely shaped the cream, black and butter scotch are well done. Very good value.
What he said.

I have an FS Silvertip, and it's MUCH nicer than my AoS Pure Badger. A very nice brush at an unbeatable price. You'll not be disappointed.

I know that many people love them and they are a great buy. My experience was with 1 and it was a awful shedder...... I certainly did not feel bad about it's trip to the round file due to it's price.

Should have re-knotted it. The FS brush handles are great!

I have got two of the finest. I gave the bulb knot one to my dad and he loves it! I have a custom fan shaped knot with a 47mm loft which makes it not floppy and great backbone.

The standard loft size is ridiculous at 55mm given it is not a very dense knot, so the high loft makes it useless. I think this is the main reason it has received bad press from experienced users. If you get one of these, do yourself a favour and get a custom made as they are no extra charge!

Ofcourse, the FS brush is no match to my beloved New Forest High Mountain badger...now that is just pure luxury :001_cool:

I used it this morning (after soaking it and treating it to remove the new brush smell). After each rinse and then again this morning it shed a bit. It did make good lather, and I suppose if it stops shedding I'll be okay with it.

I had the finest it shed a Lot I emailed the vendor and he sent me an immediate replacement I feel a bit guilty now as it stopped shedding after about ten uses and is now my daily brush.

I bought one, a finest, on ebay and I love it! In a couple of months it has managed to loose only a couple of hairs. Also, it never smelled - at all - and feels great against my face. All I need is a decent excuse to get another...:thumbup:

I bought one, a finest, on ebay and I love it! In a couple of months it has managed to loose only a couple of hairs. Also, it never smelled - at all - and feels great against my face. All I need is a decent excuse to get another...:thumbup:

Newbie here..first post. But to reply; I bought a finest few weeks ago as well. Very nice brush. Only shed the first time and never smelled. Well worth the price.

Picked up a Silver-tip from FS last week. Now this one did smell a bit and has shed a lot more in comparison to the finest; but we'll see how it's doing after week's worth of use. If it settles down it will turn out to be one sweet, SOFT brush. :)

Last edited:
Thanks all, I ordered one after reading this post and it was at my door in days. Looks and feels great for the money and hasn't shedded a single hair yet. I might grab another now that they have silvertip in Ivory

The smell on my silvertip has gone and it feels great; it's still shedding a tiny bit but if it stops by the end of this week I'll be more than satisfied.

I just used a Frank Shaving Finest badger in a butterscotch handle this am to shave with. For the money I think it's a good brush. The knot is not quite the quality of a TGN Finest extra stuffed, short loft knot. My two Frank brushs only cost me around $18 each, shipped from China. They have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. I think the last time I checked they are around $19.95 for the finest, plus shipping. I am beginning to think you will be better off finding a vintage brush handle and installing a 22mm TGN Finest short loft in it. You will end up with a better knot and depending on what you pay for the vintage brush to restore, about the same money.

Search on the forums, there's plenty of history. Bottom line: better than "good enough" and very budget friendly. The "Finest" grade seems the best bet (good backbone, soft tips).

Top Bottom