What's new

Frank Shaving brushes

Search on the forums, there's plenty of history. Bottom line: better than "good enough" and very budget friendly. The "Finest" grade seems the best bet (good backbone, soft tips).

I tried to search for some information but there is no mention of them using the search feature.

Search on the forums, there's plenty of history. Bottom line: better than "good enough" and very budget friendly. The "Finest" grade seems the best bet (good backbone, soft tips).

I own 3 and this sums it up nicely. I use one of mine regularly and quite like it. The one I like is a fan-shaped shorter loft 2-band "Finest." They are now calling it the Berwick. The dimensions on the one I'm talking about are 21mm/47mm (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fan-Shape-Finest-Badger-Hair-Shaving-Brush-Faux-Ivory-/270746846255?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item3f09c5042f). I did not care much for the more expensive Silvertip (too soft and floppy). The butterscotch Finest I have has a nicer handle, but if a bit to lofty for my preferences.

I have 4 Frank Shaving brushes. 1 Silvertip, 2 Finest and 1 Best. They make up the backbone of my brush rotation and I really like them. They work for me and that's the important thing.

They are good brushes for the price. Totally entry level so if one has already experienced badger brushes, go with something better. FS are ~$25 or you can make a BIG leap to a Simpson Berkeley for ~$50.

Or, log on to thegoldennib.com choose a handle, choose a knot and away you go! (Only choose Finest, super, silvertip grade A or super silvertip, all other knots are junk!!)

They are good brushes for the price. Totally entry level so if one has already experienced badger brushes, go with something better. FS are ~$25 or you can make a BIG leap to a Simpson Berkeley for ~$50.

Or, log on to thegoldennib.com choose a handle, choose a knot and away you go! (Only choose Finest, super, silvertip grade A or super silvertip, all other knots are junk!!)

Agree that the TGN Finest knots are top notch - I also have the grade A (okay) and the super silvertip (very nice), I would not say the other knots are "junk!!" I have a Best (closer to a denser "pure" than a Simpsons style "Best") and a Black badger from TGN, and while not soft and cushy like the ones above, they are well constructed and IMO quality examples of the type of knots they represent. I've also heard positive comments about the boar and synthetic TGN knots, although I cannot comment on those through personal experience.

Agree that the TGN Finest knots are top notch - I also have the grade A (okay) and the super silvertip (very nice), I would not say the other knots are "junk!!" I have a Best (closer to a denser "pure" than a Simpsons style "Best") and a Black badger from TGN, and while not soft and cushy like the ones above, they are well constructed and IMO quality examples of the type of knots they represent. I've also heard positive comments about the boar and synthetic TGN knots, although I cannot comment on those through personal experience.

I should clarify, I meant junk in relation to the comfort, not build quality. I really regretted it when I put a TGN standard silvertip in a lovely custom wooden handle a couple of years ago and then realised how scritchy the knot was. I was mad because the knot was cemented in there so I had to sell it. Build quality is great on every TGN knot.

Here are my observations in no special order.

• The coarseness of the hair makes me quite confident that what FS calls finest is in fact pure badger.

• The color of the hair does not at all look like pure badger. Instead it mimics the appearance of 2-band brushes (lower part almost black upper part almost white).
  • Individual hairs look quite uniform. Check other brushes closely and you will see much more variance in terms of lightness and color.

• Out of the box FS finest brushes feel a little softer than pure badger brushes. This softness seems to slowly dissipates over time.
By putting all this bits together I would guess that FS finest hair is dyed and also gets some kind of softening treatment.

I appreciate your candor; however, my experience with them has been very satisfactory. I guess we can agree to disagree....

Now, how do you feel about Derby blades?

I have 4 Frank Shaving brushes. 1 Silvertip, 2 Finest and 1 Best. They make up the backbone of my brush rotation and I really like them. They work for me and that's the important thing.

Poppi, I have a FS silvertip and a finest, and I like them both. How would you say the Best compares to the Finest? If I remember correctly, the Best actually costs a bit more than the Finest, even though the consensus around here seems to be that Finest is the better brush.

Thanks!

Poppi, I have a FS silvertip and a finest, and I like them both. How would you say the Best compares to the Finest? If I remember correctly, the Best actually costs a bit more than the Finest, even though the consensus around here seems to be that Finest is the better brush.

Thanks!

I would place them 1/Silvertip, 2/Finest and 3/Best. The Silvertip does everything I want and is very soft. The Finest are not quite as soft but better backbone. The Best has great backbone but I find it a bit scritchy so it doesn't get used as much as the others.

I could rotate the Silvertip and Finest and never have "need" for another brush. But I do like my Rooney, Vulfix and Vie-Long brushes as well. It's wonderful to have choices

I swear, I'm going to learn to never post in the Shaving Brush Forum. I even mentioned, in an earlier post, that I hoped we could discuss shaving brushes without getting nasty.

What is it with shaving brushes? Almost every post in which I've participated has turned nasty. If someone buys an inexpensive Chinese brush and uses it and likes it.... so what? Why does that make people so angry?

Saying "lets agree to disagree" is not an impolite or provacative statement.

You are of course right. I am no native speaker of English and it might be that I got the connotations of Zarbas post completely wrong. If his questions re. Derby blades was just a honest question then I misread it completely and have to apologize to all of you and especially to Zarbas.

Visiting international forums can create interesting situations...

You are of course right. I am no native speaker of English and it might be that I got the connotations of Zarbas post completely wrong. If his questions re. Derby blades was just a honest question then I misread it completely and have to apologize to all of you and especially to Zarbas.

Visiting international forums can create interesting situations...

I accept your explanation. I took the comment about Derby's to be an example of something that we have learned to "agree to disagree" about. Thank you for taking the time to offer your sincere explanation that is gratefully accepted by myself (at least).

I have a 24mm finest which is a really really nice brush for the price. Just shed 5 -6 hairs at first use and thats all. Very well made and has everything I need. One of my favorites all time.

I'm against the thought of expensive is better, especially with the brushes. I have some large Turkish boar brushes which are my most luxurious brushes that I paid about 5 bucks or so? Actually I like my fs better than my morris&forndran blonde badger. Maybe I was lucky and got a very fine one, dunno.

Thanks a lot, finally I got it. Should have read the blade threads before loading the bullets.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Happy we are all on the same page now.

BTW - welcome aboard Friedrich! Sorry about the hiccup/misunderstanding that cropped up here. As a general rule, almost everyone I've met here has been courteous and helpful, and the the level of snarkiness and negativity is remarkably low compared to a lot of other internet forums I've participated in. No need to have your guard up here. Looking forward to you sharing your views and insights moving forward. :001_smile

I swear, I'm going to learn to never post in the Shaving Brush Forum. I even mentioned, in an earlier post, that I hoped we could discuss shaving brushes without getting nasty.

What is it with shaving brushes? Almost every post in which I've participated has turned nasty. If someone buys an inexpensive Chinese brush and uses it and likes it.... so what? Why does that make people so angry?

A little moderation had to be done here, but thanks to all for pulling it back.

The vast majority of threads here are pretty uncontroversial, but some inspire more passion than others.

Thanks a lot, finally I got it. Should have read the blade threads before loading the bullets.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

I certainly meant no disrespect. Just saying, "Hey we can disagree on this, it's OK. Now let's have a beer."

Actually, the question about Derby's was an attempt to lighten the discussion. Opinions about blades are often just as likely to cause a riot here. And Derby's are a favorite subject....

I certainly meant no disrespect. Just saying, "Hey we can disagree on this, it's OK. Now let's have a beer."

Actually, the question about Derby's was an attempt to lighten the discussion. Opinions about blades are often just as likely to cause a riot here. And Derby's are a favorite subject....

Some day, I'm going to start a thread asking opinions about Frank Shaving brushes, modern Williams, Derbys/Dorcos and Lilac Vegetal all together just to see if I can bring down the entire site. :scared:

Top Bottom