What's new

Socks?

I need to buy some socks, and I would like some recommendations from you guys, as I can't seem to purchase anything without first consulting B&B.
I need black socks for dress/casual wear. For some reason, my feet tend to get cold a lot, possibly poor circulation, so I need something that addresses that. What kind of fabric? Cotton? Nylon? Something else? Any brands that I should look for? I would appreciate any ideas on the subject!

Norm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would say definitely get different socks for dress and for casual!

For dress socks, I am biased against socks that don't come up over the calf (knee-high). You must go over-the-calf. You can't beat Panterella, IMHO. Get wool rather than cotton, esp. given your cold feet concern, and they will have some nylon/spandex/space-age-polymers mixed in to keep them up.

For casual, mid-calf is fine. You will have a hard time finding wool socks that are not "wool socks", but there are plenty of cotton/nylon blends that do just fine. I am partial to some Nautica socks I stumbled upon a while back, but IMHO there are lots of decent brands.

I would say definitely get different socks for dress and for casual!

For dress socks, I am biased against socks that don't come up over the calf (knee-high). You must go over-the-calf. You can't beat Panterella, IMHO. Get wool rather than cotton, esp. given your cold feet concern, and they will have some nylon/spandex/space-age-polymers mixed in to keep them up.

For casual, mid-calf is fine. You will have a hard time finding wool socks that are not "wool socks", but there are plenty of cotton/nylon blends that do just fine. I am partial to some Nautica socks I stumbled upon a while back, but IMHO there are lots of decent brands.
Why the over-the-calf approach?

I need to buy some socks, and I would like some recommendations from you guys, as I can't seem to purchase anything without first consulting B&B.
I need black socks for dress/casual wear. For some reason, my feet tend to get cold a lot, possibly poor circulation, so I need something that addresses that. What kind of fabric? Cotton? Nylon? Something else? Any brands that I should look for? I would appreciate any ideas on the subject!

Norm

Poor circulation? Are you diabetic? I like the Gold Toe socks. I get them at the import store, JC Penneys. But with poor circulation, you may want to look for diabetic socks, which are totally seamless. Use Google to find available sources.

Randy

I'm partial to smartwool socks. They're most famous for their hiking socks, but they make socks for most occasions. Their "city slicker" and "breadwinner" socks are good dressy socks. They're a bit heavier than the traditional dress sock but otherwise look like a dress sock, and their "classic rib" sock has a thicker sole for extra sweat absorbsion and some extra cushioning. "Classic Rib"s are my everyday sock, and I've had all of mine for 2-3 years now and they hardly show any wear.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I knew I could count on you! :biggrin:
I'm not diabetic, and I'm generally hot-natured (don't wear heavy clothes), but my hands and feet seem to get cold while the rest of me is just fine. I suspect that, because I'm tall, blood has to go farther to get to the extremities. I've been wearing the Dr. Scholl's diabetic socks, but I'm not too happy with them. They're just too floppy.

Norm

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I knew I could count on you! :biggrin:
I'm not diabetic, and I'm generally hot-natured (don't wear heavy clothes), but my hands and feet seem to get cold while the rest of me is just fine. I suspect that, because I'm tall, blood has to go farther to get to the extremities. I have varicose veins, too. I've been wearing the Dr. Scholl's diabetic socks, but I'm not too happy with them. They're just too floppy.

Norm

Isn't it amazing the wealth of information that you can find on this board? I'm constantly amazed.

I have some really thick black Adidas socks that I sometimes wear to work -- business casual dress, more to the side of casual than business. Whenever I take em off, my feet are pretty sweaty, so I reckon they'd do good for someone with cold feet. Apart from being somewhat warm, the thickness is pretty comfortable.

Gold toe socks are nice, I especially like my white cotton ones.

Go to TJ Maxx and look around. They have plenty of nice socks for better-than-retail prices.

I've been loving my Perry Ellis ergonomic dress socks. Not only are they very soft, they have a fast wicking fabric to help remove moisture, they have arch support, they stay up very well, they look sharp and classic, and they actually seem to have a decent life-span. I'd buy them again.

I've had good luck with Gold toe as well.

I HATE my latest round of Nike athletic socks. They're supposed to be the equivalent of the Perry Ellis, but the elastic is poor and the fabric somewhat slippery. That doesn't make for a sock that stays well.

I have entered this thread a little late- do you know why your feet are cold- is it from a true circulation problem or maybe that your feet perspire thus cauing a dampness that seems cold-

you need to, as with shaving, narrow down what is causing this issue- shoes, socks, weather, activities.... then change only one- sometimes simple as what the show is made of and the interior-

I have loathed to wear black socks- my entire life- always have and always will wear argyles- you can find ones with black in them- but coulour is the spice of life and depending on the weather- either here or traveling- cotton, cashmere or a mix of both usually work out best. You may want to try out a company like travelsmith- they may have a sock for you.

I have entered this thread a little late- do you know why your feet are cold- is it from a true circulation problem or maybe that your feet perspire thus cauing a dampness that seems cold-

you need to, as with shaving, narrow down what is causing this issue- shoes, socks, weather, activities.... then change only one- sometimes simple as what the show is made of and the interior-

I have loathed to wear black socks- my entire life- always have and always will wear argyles- you can find ones with black in them- but coulour is the spice of life and depending on the weather- either here or traveling- cotton, cashmere or a mix of both usually work out best. You may want to try out a company like travelsmith- they may have a sock for you.

Well, I wish I knew. I suspect that better socks will help. What type of fabrics are best for colder weather? I don't really care for black socks, either, it's just that they don't clash with other colors. I haven't really thought about argyles.

Norm

Well, I wish I knew. I suspect that better socks will help. What type of fabrics are best for colder weather? I don't really care for black socks, either, it's just that they don't clash with other colors. I haven't really thought about argyles.

Norm

Norm,

For the colder weather- I like a double layered sock- Layered for warmth and also for dryness- travelsmith may have these- but I think I purchased my dozen form US Calvery- when I was in the military- they are black and have lasted ten years now without any problems- they will make your shoes a bit tighter- so depending on that- you may want to buy the socks first hten the shoes or look for a thin black sock made of cashmere and use a silk 'liner' - this also worked well for me.

Hopes this helps you out-

Poor circulation? Are you diabetic? I like the Gold Toe socks. I get them at the import store, JC Penneys. But with poor circulation, you may want to look for diabetic socks, which are totally seamless. Use Google to find available sources.

Randy

+1 on the Gold Toe socks. They are the most comfortable dress socks I have worn. They are warm and comfortable without being "HOT".

Marty

:frown:
I'm partial to smartwool socks. They're most famous for their hiking socks, but they make socks for most occasions. Their "city slicker" and "breadwinner" socks are good dressy socks. They're a bit heavier than the traditional dress sock but otherwise look like a dress sock, and their "classic rib" sock has a thicker sole for extra sweat absorbsion and some extra cushioning. "Classic Rib"s are my everyday sock, and I've had all of mine for 2-3 years now and they hardly show any wear.

Agreed and agreed. If only I could still afford to buy them, my brother lost his pro-form discount so I'm living on what I have left from SmartWool. :frown:

Top Bottom