What's new

Advice on New TV?

Anybody have sound advice out there for getting a new television? Of course, money is an object, but I am not sure whether I should be looking at plasma, LCD, or if I should just go with the tried and true tube television (yes...they still do make them!)

Anybody who knows something about the differences in the technology - if you could give me some pointers, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance you guys.:biggrin:

This is the best site for all-around reviews: ConsumerSearch.com
It actually reviews the reviewers.

All I could recommend for sure it a HDTV, I have my eye on the Samsung TX-T3093WH; 30 inch widescreen for $650.

Look around that site, for more info on reviews on other types of TV technology.

Good Luck

I have heard and seen that if you plug an HDTV into a regular analog and/or digital cable without using the box (and without buy the HDTV service) you can still get all HDTV available. Is there any truth to that? Does the TV have to have any special tuners to do that?

I have heard and seen that if you plug an HDTV into a regular analog and/or digital cable without using the box (and without buy the HDTV service) you can still get all HDTV available. Is there any truth to that? Does the TV have to have any special tuners to do that?

Many HDTV programs are transmitted via airwaves and can be received with a old school antenna, Some of the signals are better than cable because they are not compressed. You can do a search for HDTV antennas and you can find shop plans for them.

Many HDTV programs are transmitted via airwaves and can be received with a old school antenna, Some of the signals are better than cable because they are not compressed. You can do a search for HDTV antennas and you can find shop plans for them.

Well, I'm not talking about an aerial antenna, I'm talking about plugging directly into the cable from the cable company. If this is the case, someone can get the basic analog package from their cable company, pay maybe something like 39.00/month, then get all the HDTV channels. I've heard the HDTV packages are up to 99.00/month, not including the box(s).

This if for the non-cable, non-DishTV people. Just get a $30 antenna and catch a digital signal.

If you want to find out if you have digital channels in your area, you can go to this AntennaWeb. Enter your address and other info, and it will let you know how many channels you should be able to pick up with a regular rabbit ears antenna. It also shows you the digital signals and in what direction they are coming to your house. This allows you to move the antenna in that direction for better reception.

OK, but I am still not clear if Digital signal means HDTV signal? I assume that they are the same.

Well, I'm not talking about an aerial antenna, I'm talking about plugging directly into the cable from the cable company. If this is the case, someone can get the basic analog package from their cable company, pay maybe something like 39.00/month, then get all the HDTV channels. I've heard the HDTV packages are up to 99.00/month, not including the box(s).

In NYC everything is being converted to digital to the box so no box no tuning. Its creating a problem for large users like gyms and sports bars. You will need a box at each set.$$ and tuning problems. who wants a cable box on a treadmill machine.

The AVSForum is the best resource for Home Theater information and discussion on the web. Be forewarned, the information may contain a lot of technical terms, or acronyms, but the forums are filled with a lot of members with true first hand knowledge, and value the price vs. performance of something, versus people who can just repeat marketing information.

Here's what I learned from a friend who's gone through the same comparo-shopping:

Plasma and LCD TVs tend to have a similar service life. However, a plasma TV will slowly degrade in picture quality and brightness every time you turn it on up to the end of its service life, when it will no longer be watchable. An LCD TV on the other hand, will maintain brightness and clarity up to the end of its service life, when it will typically have a complete screen failure. There is then a potential to have the LCD TV rescreened at a lower cost than buying a new TV.

Remember, this is third hand knowledge, so take it with as much or as little salt as your diet permits. :biggrin:

Mike in Michigan

Some generic info I've gathered:

DLP: Great picture quality, high contrast, little to no artifacts that can pop-up with plasma and LCD, very bad side viewing, retaltively cheap.

Plasma: The best contrast and deapest blacks you can get, a pain to "burn in" (100 hours of non-static media), much better life than previous generations, good side viewing, can have a glare from gloss screen, washes out in brightly lit rooms, bester value than LCD in large sizes.

LCD: Great picture quality, some ghosting artifacts, good contrast, very good side viewing, very good in brightly lit rooms, no glare due to matte screens, better value than plasma in smaller sizes.

Since I have a brightly lit room, with most of the seating on the sides, I'm opting for LCD. Just haven't bought it yet.

DLP: Great picture quality, high contrast, little to no artifacts that can pop-up with plasma and LCD, very bad side viewing, retaltively cheap.

Plasma: The best contrast and deapest blacks you can get, a pain to "burn in" (100 hours of non-static media), much better life than previous generations, good side viewing, can have a glare from gloss screen, washes out in brightly lit rooms, bester value than LCD in large sizes.

LCD: Great picture quality, some ghosting artifacts, good contrast, very good side viewing, very good in brightly lit rooms, no glare due to matte screens, better value than plasma in smaller sizes.

Since I have a brightly lit room, with most of the seating on the sides, I'm opting for LCD. Just haven't bought it yet.

I'm pretty sure that was one or two generations of panels ago. I don't think ghosting is a problem at this point, hence their dominance in the market.

I kinda thought that was the most common complaint with plasmas?

I've had my lcd for about 2 years and I cant be happier, even if its a no frills name.. I bought it at target and its an olevia 37 in.. I put in alot of thought before dropping 16oo on a tv but what I found out was that olevia purchases their lcd panel from sharps new factory which produces the Aquos mentioned before, they really are a step above but at a great cost. If you look into it you can probably find mine at subnificant rebate now, I think I saw one for only 800 dollars, the diff in price is that I wanted it then right away. Technologies advance so fast you cant help but pay premium when they first come out...
Good luck in your hunt, and tell us what you decided on...

Top Bottom