What's new

Why do older vintage razors develop cracks?

Every time I find a vintage razor, mostly the open comb Gillettes that are brass or silver in color, they always have this hairline crack running down the handle? I'm talking mostly Gillettes made in the 1920s to early 1930s. What causes this crack? It's a shame because I've seen a few razors I liked but didn't buy because of that crack in the handle.

I've wondered the same thing. Possibly it's due to improper storage over the years in somebody's attic or outdoor shed. The repeated expanding and contracting of the metal finally reached the fatigue point and cracked. That's my guess. I have a near mint Gillette Khaki set (WWI US Army issue) which is in original cardboard box, complete with mirror and fully loaded metal blade case. An apparently never-used razor. Only problem...two cracks in the handle. :mad:

I believe that these are stress cracks, due to aging of the material --not due to use or abuse. When manufactured, these hollow tubes were produced, by design, to provide a 'force fit', that is, an 'interference fit' at time of assembly. Over a period of years, the material gradually relieves the stress induced at the time of assembly in the form of a crack at each end of the tube. This is normal for the material and is to be expected, given their age.

These razors are all well beyond any expected service lifetime. Even if you buy one of these hollow handled razors in perfect condition and don't use it, it's certainly possible that stress cracks in the tube could develop in time.

-- John Gehman

I was lucky enough to find a ball end NEW in unused condition in the original box, the tubes were not split -until I dropped it in the sink from about 14-16 inches- it split on both ends. Damn near broke my heart.

Here it is repaired-
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I don`t like hollow handles so much, I prefer handles like the ball-ended tech. Is it possible that somehow during shaving water accumulates in it? I have noticed some drops of water coming out of the handle of my fat tech after shaving sometimes. If so, it must be quite bad for the handle, as the water might corrode the handle from inside.

I was lucky enough to find a ball end NEW in unused condition in the original box, the tubes were not split -until I dropped it in the sink from about 14-16 inches- it split on both ends. Damn near broke my heart.

Yeah, the only sound worse than the clink of your favorite razor being dropped into the sink is the sound your heart makes when you survey the damage...

This is my 1920s Old Style:
full

Looked really good from this side. But then:

full

Cracked from one end to the other :frown: I was wondering if there was a way to repair it so maybe I'll give your epoxy fix a try. I didn't realize until later how common this crack is. I was irritated when I got it after being described as in very good condition but after further review I accepted their opinion because it really is in very good condition except for the common crack.

Here it is repaired-
full

That is the exact razor I have, except mine doesn't have a large crack, just a tiny one starting to form, but yeah, those are the typical razors that have the cracks.

Can the new Merkur HDs and Merkur Classics, the ones you buy at online stores develop cracks like the old style razors, or have they solved this problem with new manufacturing techniques?

Here it is repaired-
full

Jim the stinks I know how hard it is to find one unsplit:frown:

Can the new Merkur HDs and Merkur Classics, the ones you buy at online stores develop cracks like the old style razors, or have they solved this problem with new manufacturing techniques?

The new one will not have this problem- no worries.

The old Gillettes split in large part because the material for the handle tubing was relatively thin. The Merkurs are a heavier material and shouldn't have that problem.

-- John Gehman

I think it was the materials being used back when they were made. I think I read that they were cracking before they were purchased and they even issued refurbished models and/or repaired them for complaining customers. Did I read this in the Krumholz book?

In the Krumholz book he says that he thinks that the wartime (WWI) shortage of raw materials caused Gillette to use sub standard brass tubing. He says that he has seen mint razors from that period with a handle crack.

I have been lucky in acquiring a few without cracks. I wonder if the cause could be poorly made seamed tubing letting go at the seam ?

In the Krumholz book he says that he thinks that the wartime (WWI) shortage of raw materials caused Gillette to use sub standard brass tubing. He says that he has seen mint razors from that period with a handle crack.

I have been lucky in acquiring a few without cracks. I wonder if the cause could be poorly made seamed tubing letting go at the seam ?

I kind of thought the same thing, poorly seamed tubing giving way over time

I used 4-1 marine epoxy thickened with micro balloons, its one of my favorite shavers and my deserted island razor!

Jim, would you mind explaining the process? Not versed on using epoxy. Did you remove the tube from the head? I just got a New and I don't know whether I did it or I just didn't see it, but it has the typical crack where it connects to the neck. It almost looks like it's growing. I'm kicking myself because it was mint (maybe unused).

Thanks.

John

V

VR6ofpain

Yes
The new one will not have this problem- no worries.
The old Gillettes split in large part because the material for the handle tubing was relatively thin. The Merkurs are a heavier material and shouldn't have that problem.

-- John Gehman
Sorry guys, but you two are wrong. A new Merkur Slant WITH CRACK:

I'm wondering if this may be due to stress from repeated tightening and loosening of the handle instead of temperature changes? Does this just happen to the 3 piece razors?

I have a couple of the Tech's that don't have any cracks.

I just snug the handle onto the threaded rod. I never crank it down.

Top Bottom