What's new

What's causing the irritation?

I've had this since I started shaving with a DE. It was horrendous back then, as in "Maybe you should see a Dermatologist about that."

It's gotten a lot better since I started. I think, one might think it's just part of my complexion. So, it's really not bad. But the point is, when I was shaving with my Gillette Mach 3 I had no such problems.

Well, I finally, applied some cortisone, (which I hated to do), just to get rid of the thing. I only did it for a day. Maybe it was no good, but I didn't see any difference. :angry:

The right side has always been worse than left.

I'm using Derby's, after a shower, (which reminds me...) :lol: I use an HD. I also have at my disposal Gillettes from Sweden, IP's and as you all know - Feathers. :001_tt1:

I'm just fit to be tied. Why it happens in just the indicated areas, I have no idea.

I have started shaving the indicated areas with my Gillette M3 in hopes of that will entice the above mentioned areas to return to their former splendor and glory.

Any help would be appreciated....

I think I need to see a better image, otherwise it is very hard to tell.

The coloring shows location, but is it dryness, redness, bleeding...??
Multiple pin point spots, or one big spot?
Technique, dry lather, allergic reaction....?

Oh.

I thought I indicated it on the jpeg. I used "Paint" to do it, and I'm no Renoir. The darker the color, you could extrapolate, the more the irritation.

Is that better?

Remember, you are not going to se the irritation per se, just a representation there of.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the replies...

Generally, there's no stinging or swelling or puss or anything like that. It just seems to be a slight irritation. It gets better as time goes on, yet, (if I use the DE) comes back the next day. (It's a slight tinge of pink)

After looking at the pictures I took in Oct. 06, I wonder if I wasn't shaving with the grain (with the DE). That's one thing I gotta say about a Gillette CR. Say what you want about 'em, but you can tell by the amount of tugging, if you are shaving with the grain, or not. :thumbup1: It's really pronounced.

What shaving cream/aftershave/face wash are you using?

If I understand the picture, it looks like the corners of your mouth are irritated. I would just describe it instead of using a picture so it is more clear to others. Anyway, creams/aftershave/face washes with menthol/alcohol/acids, etc. are very hard on the face and can cause this. Also, too much moisture can as well. How long does it take you to shave with the DE vs. Mach 3 -- that may be why you don't get it with the Mach 3.

Chewy

I would suggest opening your mouth to stretch and flatten the skin as you shave those areas. It looks as if you're taking off the skin from the raised areas formed by a closed mouth. I know this by experience.

I would suggest opening your mouth to stretch and flatten the skin as you shave those areas. It looks as if you're taking off the skin from the raised areas formed by a closed mouth. I know this by experience.
+1. Those are exactly the areas where I have to shave the most carefully. Otherwise, you tend to get a fold of skin and shave off the top of the fold. In addition to stretching the skin, you must watch where the entire width of the blade is; you'd really want a very small blade to shave in here.

That is probably about the most sensitive place on your face that you shave. If you're going over it with the same kind of pressure that you're going over the rest of your face with, along with going over it multiple times I can certainly imagine that area becoming irritated. I have the same problem to some extent, although it only happens occasionally and I think it's moreso from being a little too harsh on that area.

Allen

Well you are right, I have been shaving with my mouth closed all my life, and never had a problem; until I started with a DE.
I'll try to remember to shave the area with an open mouth next time.

Thanks for the tip.

Off the top of my head:

Nancy Boy Signature
Nancy Boy Cucumber
Musgo Real
Proraso the green and the red
Nivea (from germany) smallflower.com
Coates Original Almond (from Pasteur's in NYC)
Erasmic (Weston's Pharmaceutical)
C&E Sweet Almond Oil (almost all used up)
Spieck
e shave
Palmolive Red

Like my sig says: I have more creams than the days of the week, so I'm happy.

Plus: I have 4 soaps...(see sig)

So, after the cream/soap of the day, it's a Thayer's wiped with a cotton ball. and then L'Occitane Hand Cream with 20% Shea Butter that I use as my moisturizer.The only thing that changes, (now) is the sc or soap.

Anyway, I've been using the Gillette and it's been maintaining, which I guess is better than getting worse.

I just bought Thayers Superhazel, so I'll try that and see how that goes...The frustrating thing in all of this is, it's slightly more that a tinge of pink. I'm almost there, but it keeps on hangin' on. Grrrr.

Well you are right, I have been shaving with my mouth closed all my life, and never had a problem; until I started with a DE.

Thanks for the tip.

I think the general consensus is that the blade of a DE is in better contact with the skin than with a cartridge system (which is part of the intentional design of cartridges). The cartridge itself might be flattening out and stretching the skin in those locations where the DE doesn't.

On my face, it's pull up on the skin above that area and pucker the lips slightly. That tightens it all up.

Duggo,

I still think that it may be a cream or soap irritation. I had the same problem with Proraso for months before I figured it out. Also almond shave creams and Nancy Boy gives me problems as well. I would try to pick a mild cream like Taylors Avacodo and use only it for several weeks and see if that helps.

Chewy.

Just remember to be even more careful than usual when going around the corners of your mouth. And as always, no pressure and proper angle. Just a guess, are you left-handed? I've found that as a lefty, shaving the right side of my face takes a bit more concentration. Hope it works out for you.

I'm thinking that you're indicating the corners of your mouth. If so, I have problems there, too.

I stretch my upper lip over my teeth while making my lips into a sort of "o" shape. I then shave the area very, VERY carefully and very, VERY slowly. I mean, I'm so precise that I'm almost shaving a hair at a time.

Even then, the area is still often a little raw, which is why I use Aqua Velva. A splash or two of that will soothe my skin and usually keep the razor burn away.

Hey Guys!

This morning I had a nice result. I made my mouth like an () and saw a half a tick's worth of an improvement, (think: dial) And today, I used the DE to shave in that area; (the 4 corners) as I like to call 'em. I used the Swedish Gillettes for the first time in Months...like 9 months 3 weeks. I liked them. Next I've got to try the IP's. I've got a lot of them, because there was a time I thought they were the "belle of the ball". So we'll see. At least it's not getting worse.

I have to say that the pics I took back in 10.06 are now worth their weight in gold. (well, you know what I mean.) Turns out I took a great shot of the area, and some of the hair goes up towards the bottom lip, and the other goes back towards the cheek.

Now how do you shave that, pray tell?

Top Bottom