What's new

What's causing the irritation?

Just remember to be even more careful than usual when going around the corners of your mouth. And as always, no pressure and proper angle. Just a guess, are you left-handed? I've found that as a lefty, shaving the right side of my face takes a bit more concentration. Hope it works out for you.

Hiya WebGeezer,

Just thinking about shaving left handed gives me brain cramps. :laugh: No, I shave the entire area, with my right hand, maybe that's worse. :confused1

+1. Those are exactly the areas where I have to shave the most carefully. Otherwise, you tend to get a fold of skin and shave off the top of the fold. In addition to stretching the skin, you must watch where the entire width of the blade is; you'd really want a very small blade to shave in here.

Hiya Fritz,

What do you think of the Merkur Mustache razor? What do you use? What's your technique?

Thanks...

What shaving cream/aftershave/face wash are you using?

If I understand the picture, it looks like the corners of your mouth are irritated. I would just describe it instead of using a picture so it is more clear to others. Anyway, creams/aftershave/face washes with menthol/alcohol/acids, etc. are very hard on the face and can cause this. Also, too much moisture can as well. How long does it take you to shave with the DE vs. Mach 3 -- that may be why you don't get it with the Mach 3.

Chewy

Hey Chewy,

With the M3 it was taking me 10 mins. and the guys at work (then) were telling me that, that was a long time.

Now, with the DE, it takes about 40 mins. to accomplish the same thing. I think WebGeezer and fritz hit the nail on the head, when they said you have to make an () with your mouth I have to agree. I had better results today.

...and some of the hair goes up towards the bottom lip, and the other goes back towards the cheek.
Now how do you shave that, pray tell?
S-N, which is WTG with the first part, XTG with the second part. Then W-E, which is XTG with the first part, and WTG with the second part. Then E-W, finally N-S, lightly, which will be ATG for each part. (E and W are as seen in the mirror image.) :rolleyes:

That's one area where I can cause an in-grown without even trying. Very light reduction passes, keeping it well lathered and pushing out from the back with my tongue a little to flatten it out a bit does the trick for me.

Hiya Fritz,
What do you think of the Merkur Mustache razor? What do you use? What's your technique?
Thanks...
I don't have a mustache razor, but I would if I needed to get into small areas to shave only a little tiny width at a time. Fortunately, my beard grows in a pretty "normal" pattern, without areas where it grows in all directions at once.

However, I have to be careful around the corers of my mouth, to keep from nicking the part of the cheek that sticks out with the "other" end of the blade. What I do is make the () mouth, stretch the skin with my left hand, then shave that corner with only 10% of one end of the blade, but with 90% over the open mouth, as opposed to 90% over the cheek.

I don't have a mustache razor, but I would if I needed to get into small areas to shave only a little tiny width at a time. Fortunately, my beard grows in a pretty "normal" pattern, without areas where it grows in all directions at once.

However, I have to be careful around the corers of my mouth, to keep from nicking the part of the cheek that sticks out with the "other" end of the blade. What I do is make the () mouth, stretch the skin with my left hand, then shave that corner with only 10% of one end of the blade, but with 90% over the open mouth, as opposed to 90% over the cheek.

Dang you are lucky...In the lower right (mirror image) it goes in 3 directions in a very small space. WTT some DNA? :lol: (II crack myself up.)

Now that I've got the idea, I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'll make a lather using the bowl, and see if that provides the extra protection.

Today's shave went really well. I did the () with the mouth. I even tried new blades...the IP's. The neck got too red. That's why I usually use Derby's. But at the end of the day, the four corners looked really good. Especially given the fact that I could be found guilty of overshaving, in that area. There were times I thought you'd never even know anything was wrong - just not right after the shave.

It's not getting any worse. :a50: :a50:

Well, I took a month off from shaving (that's another post,) and it all cleared up. So, I returned over an old leaf, so to speak.

I grew a beard, shaved it off.

After a year and a half of trying to combat the issues at the four corners of my mouth, with my DE, and Fancy soaps and Creams, I've taken a coworker's suggestion to heart.

With regard to this problem, I'm shaving with Barbasol (I know, I know.) Wait it gets worse. And a cartridge razor. I'm achieving the desired results. The elimination of the majority of the redness on all four corners. But get this: To get that close shave, I have to go back over the area with a DE. You can't win for loosing.

I don't want to spend a fortune just to shave the corners of my mouth.

I've seen Tri-xxx brand razor blades that sell for less than the name brand Gillette. (I still have the M3/M3P/ M3Turbo handles.) Out of the 3, I prefer the Power handle....if I was on a desert island. Their twin bladed cousins clog up in a heartbeat.

Then after that exercise is done, I have to make a lather to continue the shave.

Thoughts and comments always appreciated.

I realize I'm preaching to the wrong choir, but: c'mon guys. (we all used 'em. - cartridges, at one point.)

Duggo....lots of good suggestions thus far. Although it was probably already mentioned (I didn't read every post...sorry guys), I would recommend:
1. Cool/cold water rinse post shave followed by
2. Alum block
3. I also recommend an after shave balm with NO alcohol

just my 3 cents worth...

Top Bottom