What's new

Cigar Smokers?

I used to smoke maduro's every day. A year ago my girl quit smoking cigarettes and I quit cigars for her, so it would be easier for her to stop.
I'm back... But I really (try hard to) make it a point to only cut one (or two) on the weekends.

You smoke the stogies? What are yer favorites, stories, and where do you get yours etc.?

:detective:

I smoke one daily on my walk to work, and occasionally again in the evenings (maybe every other evening). My favorite every-day cigar, right now, is the H. Upmann No. 100 Robusto -- its an excellent little stogie, and the price is only about $2.50 per cigar when you mail order from JR Cigars. Lately, I've been breaking into my stored stash of aged cigars, including some 1987 vintage Dunhill Condados -- Mmm Mmm Good!

One of my more bizare cigar experiences was during my morning walk to work, when some whack job health nut crossed the street expressly to say to me "enjoy your cancer!" I politely thanked her, and continued walking...

One of my more bizare cigar experiences was during my morning walk to work, when some whack job health nut crossed the street expressly to say to me "enjoy your cancer!" I politely thanked her, and continued walking...

You live in the wrong city, hell, the wrong state, for smoking. I hung out with a friend in Marin and we got stares for having a stogie while walking around. We werent in Calbasas.

Favorites: Partagas Sabroso, Montecristo anything (though Xanadu is my favorite), Cohiba Piramides, too many to list. I prefer mild and creamy over a robust and dark cigar.

Worst cigar ever: Gurkha. I bought it on recommendation from a cigar store owner who probably had no idea what a good cigar was. It just tasted like crap. I bet that is what smoking newspaper would be like.

The best locally made: Stanley Papas, Denver. Dont know of any STL or DET cigars. The Stanley Papas are a good, inexpensive cigar. A must if you are a cigar nut and make it to Denver.

Cigar stories, well one of my interns. . . .

I don't smoke cigars....I could never really get the idea of smoking something that you are not suppose to inhale.....But anyway I have an elderly neighbor who smkoes a stog everynite on his porch and I am always drawn to head outside because I love the smell.....I will have to ask him what kind he is smoking....

T.

Worst cigar ever: Gurkha. I bought it on recommendation from a cigar store owner who probably had no idea what a good cigar was. It just tasted like crap. I bet that is what smoking newspaper would be like.

Thank you for the heads up on those. I'll remember to pass those on by. My local cigar shop (Liberty Tobacco, San Diego) really does not carry anything that's crap. I run into problems when I'm on the fly and I get a guy who swears that "this one you won't regret". I usually try out a stogie local, then I buy in quantity online. I go to Thompson Cigar mostly (www.thompsoncigar.com).

If you're a fan of dark maduro's, these are one of my favorites as a daily (when I used to smoke daily):

https://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx?page=product&sender=csearch&uid=688

Bundles of 50 @ a little over a $1 each. Really great quality, with very few "bummers" (maybe one, two out of a bundle).

My all time favorite is the Hoyo de Monterrey "Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight". Smooth draw, always burns slow and perfect, it's a natural (you would never guess) but tastes and smells like a wonderful maduro (they use a double leaf wrapper, that's black as coal). Not off the hook pricey, medium priced and is a sleeper.

:thumbup1:

I used to smoke Partagas Dominicans back 25 years ago when you could get a box for twenty five bucks. Now I only smoke an occasional cigar . That is the trouble with being old enough to remember how much things used to cost. I am too cheap to pay what they cost nowadays. A customer gave me a few Aurturo Fuente recently and I have yet to smoke them. I pretty much stick to the pipe and I don't inhale the pipe or the cigars.

Favorites: Partagas Sabroso, Montecristo anything (though Xanadu is my favorite), Cohiba Piramides, too many to list. I prefer mild and creamy over a robust and dark cigar.

Those are in my top 20. Although I prefer cigarro mucho robusto. Creamy and robusto not stale.

I love maudros, but I sometimes go the yuppie route too and get me some Acids or any other flavored cigars Drew Estate makes. Yum!

I'm pretty new to cigars, what little I have tried so far I seem to like, and there are a few that I think are great. My favorite so far is the Fonseca Vintage, and Rocky Patel Edge Lite. Smoke one here or there, maybe a few times a week or so. My "down" time normally consists of a cigar, a beverage, and some reading material out on the porch right before my shower and shave, then it's off to bed.

You smoke the stogies? What are yer favorites, stories, and where do you get yours etc.?

:detective:

Go to the Speakeasy forum for threads about cigars. Be sure to check out the Indulgence of the Night threads there as well.

I live in California and smoking cigarettes in public is up there assault and rape. If I light up a cigar in public it's like murder 1. You can go to a club that has an outdoor smoking section and if you light up say a little mini, someone [cigarette smoker no less] will drop a dime on you and a bouncer will come over to tell you to put it out.

:cursing:

way back before I got too old to smoke, I used to enjoy a few Arturo Fuente's 8-5-8's a week. Generally, liked Honduran over DR brands but just loved them 8-5-8's...

JR's "house" brands are some of the best bang for a buck, high value smokes around (as a rule). He seems to have the real legends of cigar manufacturing (or handufacturing) in the world making great cigars for him.

La Gloria Cubana's made here in Miami's "Habana Pequena" district are also pretty danged tasty...

Can't even remember any of the occasional Cuban's I would smoke as being memorable.....Just sumtin' else El Maximo Lider ruined during his long, sad reign...

I miss smokin'....so you young'unz oughta smoke'm while ya got'em...just ignore the pleasure police

I am a very, very small cigar smoker. Quite literally two or three per year.

When I do smoke, however, I choose for Cuban Cohibas. They are extremely fine... not to mention a tad expensive. :wink2:

way back before I got too old to smoke, I used to enjoy a few Arturo Fuente's 8-5-8's a week. Generally, liked Honduran over DR brands but just loved them 8-5-8's...

JR's "house" brands are some of the best bang for a buck, high value smokes around (as a rule). He seems to have the real legends of cigar manufacturing (or handufacturing) in the world making great cigars for him.

La Gloria Cubana's made here in Miami's "Habana Pequena" district are also pretty danged tasty...

Can't even remember any of the occasional Cuban's I would smoke as being memorable.....Just sumtin' else El Maximo Lider ruined during his long, sad reign...

I miss smokin'....so you young'unz oughta smoke'm while ya got'em...just ignore the pleasure police

Too old to smoke? I think I'm missing something. When does one become two old to enjoy the occasional robusto?

I'm with you. I'm more a fan of Hondurans and some Nicaraguans. After switching over to Hondurans (or Nicaraguans) I found the DR's and real Cubans to lack the taste I enjoy out of a robusto Honduran (just my preference).

I've smoked about every Cuban cigar out there (actually I got into smoking cigars via smoking Cuban cigars). I live in San Diego and I have friends down in Ensenada Mexico. They have some reputable cigar shops down there in Baja (like La Habana, Ensenada) that sell the real deal. Not cheap but not through the roof like they sell them on the black market up in the States. They still are imported from Cuba to Mexico and the prices are comparable to DR's that you find in the states. If you put the same brands DR next to its Cuban they are almost identical except for the band, and the difference might just be it says Cuba over DR, not a big deal really. I no longer go out of my way to get Cubans nor do I DR's.

My all time favourite is the Cuban Partagas Series D - gorgeous robusto.

In terms of what you can get in the US, I'm a big fan of Partagas and La Gloria Cubana.

One of my favourite cigar stores is the Iwan Reis (sp?) store in downtown Chicago.

I enjoy a bit of variety. Hard to get a smoke in this time of year. Have a baby in the house and can't smoke indoors like I used to. Garage is too hot this time of year.

I enjoy Davidoffs, Fuente Hemingways and OpusX, Padron Anniversarios (maduros), Ashton VSG, maybe Habano here and there... though I don't keep as many around as I used to.

Several years ago I worked as a tobacconist and had a nice 5 cigar a day habit :biggrin:

Top Bottom