What's new

What are you listening to?

It was 20 years ago TODAY...

On this day back in 1996, Underworld played the Reading Festival in what has been recognized as one of the top-10 gigs of British music of all time. Part of its significance relates to the fact that playing at the same time on another stage were The Stone Roses, the doyen of the "Madchester" scene which had begun in the late 1980s. The Stone Roses completely fell apart resulting in thousands rushing over to the section of the festival site where Underworld were playing, and the torch was passed to a new generation of mainstream youth culture. I know that dance music isn't for everyone, but within the genre, this is stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
$Appetite.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's no Kid A or OK Computer, but it's a solid Radiohead album and a very nice recording.

The Vinyl sounds great.

I'll have to give it a whirl sometime soon. It's good to know that it sounds great on vinyl. To me, lot of these modern record that have been recorded digitally don't make much of a difference when played from a CD or on a turntable.

I think i could put these two on an endless loop...

Art of Almost
National Anthem

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
National Anthem is right up there within their catalog for me too. Love how both these tunes start so lowkey and build this incredible tension before the release at the end and you can catch your breath. I never tire of that in music.

First time i heard 'Art of Almost' was on an unlabeled 'mixed tape' cd put together by a friend, she emailed the track listing but not until after i listened to it. The studio version of the song starts with some electronic noise doodling and i immediately thought it was going to be Radiohead but it turned into some pastoral Wilco which then grew into the craziness suggested by the little electronic intro, hooked from the getgo. Wilco always gets me with these weird little underbellies percolating along in the background, leaves me scratching my head how do they come up with this stuff? It seems to be totally unrelated musically to the song and yet sits in there and works so well, to my ear anyways. Keeps me focused on the moment, sucks me right in so i have to listen again to try to make sense of it.

dave

Top Bottom