What's new

Feather Pro, Super Pro, and Pro Guard Review thread....

Three to four weeks on the Super Pros? What kind of longevity do other folks get with these? I had been using the Pro blades and been getting about 6 to 10 shaves per blade. Eight days ago I switched to my first Super. This morning while shaving, I was thinking to myself, “When is this thing going to start wearing out?”

Three to four weeks on the Super Pros? What kind of longevity do other folks get with these? I had been using the Pro blades and been getting about 6 to 10 shaves per blade. Eight days ago I switched to my first Super. This morning while shaving, I was thinking to myself, “When is this thing going to start wearing out?”

The supers offer much greater value. I get between 5-8 shaves with a professional, so the super-pro (for me) is radically superior, both in longevity and shave quality! :smile:

Oh - by the way, stay tuned for reviews of a Japanese Style Artist Club DX, as well as a Artist Club DX with Teakwood handle, as well as a comparo/contrast of the 2 versions.

:smile:

Oh - by the way, stay tuned for reviews of a Japanese Style Artist Club DX, as well as a Artist Club DX with Teakwood handle, as well as a comparo/contrast of the 2 versions.

:smile:

I have never tried the guarded blades, but I do agree with your assessment of the Pros and Super Pros. Much less chance of bleeders with the Super Pros, but I do feel the Pros cut easier on my tough chin hairs.

Dr. Moss noted that the Super Pros shave most like a traditional straight. I get about 2 - 3 weeks out of the blade, but that is with dual pass beard and head shaves.

Looking forward to your review of the AC razors.

Interesting review Joel. I got 8 shaves out of my first blade (Pro) in my ACD-N, and have just hit 8 on the Super. I corked both blades before use. I found the Japanese style Feather fairly easy to get used to once I started to regard it as just another one of my str8s, albeit with a very different set of scales. :wink:

Wayne

I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 shaves.

I have only used the Professional Super blades. I've used my Japanese-style Feather exclusively since I got it more than a year ago, and I'm still on the same dispenser of Pro Supers that I ordered with it.

They are substantial blades. I usually find that I get close enough with them to shave every other day, and I've noted that a blade can go six (sometimes more) shaves for me before it feels as sharp as a well-honed conventional straight. I guess I go through two blades a month, sometimes three, in which case the third may carry me into the following month.

The Super Pro has the surgically sharp edge, but with the presence -- for lack of a better term -- of a traditional straight blade. I presume that the standard Professional blade is a bit closer in overall feel to a DE blade. I have no need for the Pro Guard.

I have a Feather AC RG "Special." Depending on the blade I usually get about 5 shaves with one. The last blade I used was bad straight from the cartridge. I used it once and I chucked it. It was a Professional.

I prefer the Super Professionals. The Pro Guards are not bad but I am finding I don't like the Pros.

I have a Feather AC RG "Special." Depending on the blade I usually get about 5 shaves with one. The last blade I used was bad straight from the cartridge. I used it once and I chucked it. It was a Professional.

I prefer the Super Professionals. The Pro Guards are not bad but I am finding I don't like the Pros.

I don't use my AC's all that much precisely for one reason... bad blades. While not common, just as you had experienced, every pack or two of feather blades, I got one that was just plumb terrible. The good ones are great, but the bad ones are simply awful. At least for me, it drives me crazy, and for awhile I was using a feather straight 90% of the time, and REALLY enjoying them, but I got an ENTIRE pack of Super Pro blades that was just awful, and it REALLY chapped my arse, and now I don't think I use a feather but once every 2 months. They are very effective... but for the $, I prefer my bonafied straight razors, that have more consistent results. YMMV.

Same here. I think my negative attitude towards the Feather AC is largely due to my first pack of blades which were all bad (wouldn't shave arm hair kinda bad). Since then I've had better luck with it, and actually feel a mild affection towards it now, but I still run into bad blades on occasion.

Same here. I think my negative attitude towards the Feather AC is largely due to my first pack of blades which were all bad (wouldn't shave arm hair kinda bad). Since then I've had better luck with it, and actually feel a mild affection towards it now, but I still run into bad blades on occasion.

I have no idea how people go through as many packs of blades as they do, especially without sole use of the AC. I'm on only pack five, and I've been shaving with them for almost two years, if not longer. While there's a huge diff between a new blade and a used blade, they've been regular as clockwork for me, and I haven't gotten what I consider to be a bad blade. I've only used the Pro Supers, though.

I am getting a Feather AC RG soon, and I was wondering if someone can advise me a little on blades for it. I ordered one pack of the pro-guards with it, just to start off. But then I am slightly confused regarding the professional and super professional blades. According to "official" info on these, super pros are for quite heavy beards, whereas pros are just for "normal" facial hair. The thing is, I have heard the opposite, and some people seem to suggest the super pros are actually much better for just average facial hair. Is this really true or am I just misinterpreting what I find?

Pro-Guard blades seem to be a very safe way to start. Today was my 2d time out, and ATG blade buffing under the nose gave me the closest shave there I've had in many weeks. No irritation. I've no experience with a real straight, but the caveats re deadly sharpness don't seem to apply to the Pro-Guards. At least no for me.

Last edited:
I am one of the few that use the Pro Guard blades exclusively when I use the AC-DX. The shave may not be quite as close as with the Pro's or Super Pro's, but it's a nice comfortable shave, which counts in my book.
Ken

Found a page that compaes all 4 kinds of Feather blades.

proxy.php

And a special page dedicated to the Lighbrade
proxy.php

Anybody care to give some translation help to tell us the gory details?

Top Bottom