What's new

New Travel Concerns

Before April when I started "Proper Set Shaving", my travel kit consisted of:
  • An MIII handle with a couple of blades.
  • A can of goop
  • A toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste

That was it.

Now today later on I fly to Baton Rouge for 4 days of business and I've got so many questions running through my mind:
  • What brush do I take? (I am expecting an EJ Super to be delivered while there)
  • Waht razor do I take? (I am expecting a 38C and a HD to be delivered while I'm there)
  • What soap(s) cream(s) do I take? I know the water is very soft (or is it hard?) down there and nuttin' lathers very well. I remember being there before and never feeling like you were completely rinsed off.
  • What ASB & ASL do I take to suit the extremy humid conditions?
  • What cologne of the 5 I own? I guess it has to be something long lasting but not over-powering.
  • How good is the shopping for Wet Shaving supplies in the Baton Rouge area?

Thinking about it, here's what I plan on taking, and you people who are familiar with humid conditions please offer up any suggestions:
  • AOS in pure, seems to be a nice brush for either soap or cream.
  • Merkur LHC. Breaks down easily for storage
  • The Proraso triplets; Pre, SS & SC. That cooling feeling may be the best thing I own for the climate .
  • Mama Bear's Summer and Booster Polar Ice
  • Tabac EDC and C&E Nomad

My better half is gonna go into hysterics when she sees me pack this lot!!!!

I guess I'll just have to go with instinct and hope for the best!!!

I understand the delima!! My travel shave kit has evolved into a Merkur 1904 razor, Tweezerman Badger brush, and a couple of blades, which all fit neatly into a medium-sized Zip-Loc plastic bowl. For an ASB, I usually take something with a plastic bottle and screw on cap, like Aqua Velva Ice Balm and a QED Mocha shave stick. If I have room, I might substitute another soap in a small Zip-Loc bowl. I usually don't take cologne on a trip; I had one break once...:eek:

What do you guys do with DE blades if you are carrying on only? I was stopped once and the blades were confiscated.

I travel between my company's offices all over the SE US, from FL to PA, and to vendor locations all over North America. If I'm not checking bags I leave my straight at home. (Usually I try to squeeze in a round of golf or two each trip so most of the time I am checking.)

For those short trips when I'm not checking bags I've mailed a few DE blades to each of our offices so all I have to take is my red tip. For vendor trips I do the same. It's always a nice conversation starter with our vendors when I tell them I'm going to be sending myself blades in the mail.

I almost always check bags. On the rare occasion that I'm not checking, I'll pack a Bic 1 or 2 bladed disposable instead of the 1904.

The sad thing is, your right!

Edit: Jim, wait 'til the soap pass box safely arrives in Louisiana. The hotel staff will think you're a complete lunatic receiving all that shaving stuff at the hotel! :lol:

When I was doing my master's program in cybersecurity I had to write a paper on finding bomb making instructions on the web. Fortunately my professor worked for an FBI task force so when my IP hit the ATF's watch list I was able to explain it without any issues.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I was doing my master's program in cybersecurity I had to write a paper on finding bomb making instructions on the web. Fortunately my professor worked for an FBI task force so when my IP hit the ATF's watch list I was able to explain it without any issues.

Well, by now B&B is sure to be on the red-flagged list. :ohmy:

(oh, and they probably think we're all commies, after the red-flag remark. Sheesh, these guys are paranoid or what!!) :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Well, by now B&B is sure to be on the red-flagged list. :ohmy:

(oh, and they probably think we're all commies, after the red-flag remark. Sheesh, these guys are paranoid or what!!) :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Nah. They only get concerned with bulletin boards that use words like 'intifada', and 'Jihad', and 'Bin Laden', and 'Al Qaeda', and 'Al Zawahiri', and 'Martyr', and 'infidel', and...

:thumbsup:

-- John Gehman

Nah. They only get concerned with bulletin boards that use words like . . . 'Martyr' . . . Infidel . . .

http://www.breviary.net/martyrology/mart.htm

http://www.breviary.net/martyrology/martcal.htm

A Collect for Good Friday from the Book of Common Prayer 1662 (and its relations)

O MERCIFUL God, who hast made all men, and hatest nothing that thou hast made, nor wouldest the death of a sinner, but rather that he should be converted and live; Have mercy upon all Jews, Turks, Infidels, and Hereticks, and take from them all ignorance, hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word; and so fetch them home, blessed Lord, to thy flock, that they may be saved among the remnant of the true Israelites, and be made one fold under one shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

By modern standards, not the most politically correct offering!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think it's funny how they hand out little plastic bags for toiletry inspection, but the stewardess never blinks an eye when I ask for six unopened cans of soda and a pillowcase.

I think it's funny how they hand out little plastic bags for toiletry inspection, but the stewardess never blinks an eye when I ask for six unopened cans of soda and a pillowcase.

Going through the security check in Cancun, the two agent were hassling my wife about a tweezer in her purse. She for the life of her could not remember ever putting a tweezers in there and consented to their ripping through her personal effects. Of course they did find the tweezers buried in a tiny little zipper pocket of the purse and gave her the obligatory stink eye.

...then they PUT IT BACK IN HER PURSE and said, "Have a nice day."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Security and Customs Officers do the most amazing things.

Many years ago a friend of mine was travelling with a valuable violin (not quite a Strad)

He got the third degree on trying to bring it into the UK, but customs lost interest when they discovered it was "second hand".

I am still being teased by my wife for the moment when I had to "upgrade" my toiletries bag from a standard-sized bag to an unused diaper bag. The wife just shook her head, amused and saddened at the same time. I knew I was in trouble when I packed more soaps than days I needed to shave (so I could still have options).

next time I will bring just 1 soap. I swear.

I am still being teased by my wife for the moment when I had to "upgrade" my toiletries bag from a standard-sized bag to an unused diaper bag. The wife just shook her head, amused and saddened at the same time. I knew I was in trouble when I packed more soaps than days I needed to shave (so I could still have options).
next time I will bring just 1 soap. I swear.
If you visit your local Container Store, they have tons of neat little plastic containers for travel. Little plastic squirt bottles for an ounce or 2 of AS, ASB, EdC, etc. Little round "pill boxes" for some SC. (You can use a cheese grater on hard-milled soaps for a small supply; sharp exacto knife to cut a small chunk of glycerin soaps.) Not breakable, very light, very small. If lost, you haven't lost everything. Now, you may still need to use the diaper bag, but it will now hold a little of everything.:biggrin:

Top Bottom