What's new

Fountain Pens

I have some laser printer paper -- Staples brand this time, though I've had HP in the past -- that I've printed out some of the writing and penmanship pages from this site on. Don't need anything fancier for right now. The site lets you pick out what size writing area you want, so I was able to print pages that match up with what Write Now is using. I'm dating each page so I can go back in a few weeks and see how I've improved :thumbup1:

I'm just the opposite. I have a Mont Blanc Le Grand 149. I'm looking for an everyday "knockabout" pen. I've looked at the Safari but I really would like to find a good, fairly inexpensive, slim pen that will fit in the pen loop of my Franklin planner case.

Actually, my dad's into fountain pens and he told me "try them out - fill one up, write with it, clean it out, and fill up a different one". Right now I'm using his 149 and I really like it. I might have to get something like this for myself, though I might go for the Pelikan M800 instead of the Montblanc.

I'm just the opposite. I have a Mont Blanc Le Grand 149. I'm looking for an everyday "knockabout" pen. I've looked at the Safari but I really would like to find a good, fairly inexpensive, slim pen that will fit in the pen loop of my Franklin planner case.
I'd strongly suggest a Pelikian m200, m215 or other smaller Pelikan (assuming piston fill, no cartridges is OK with you). They're great pens and great values.
You can find the sizes here http://www.richardspens.com/?page=othertxt.htm you also can't go wrong purchasing from Richard or from Pam at www.oscarbraunpens.com they have great service and prices.

Where are all the Fountain Pen Network people?
Proud user of a Pelikan M250, Lamy Safari/2000, Waterman Charleston and parker Vacumatics

The 149 is the Diplomat, not LeGrand. The M200/400 may be too small for you. Try them inperson first. I vote the m600 as a happy medium. Also look into the Lamy 2000. SUPER smooth writer

Anyone tried a Bexley Simplicity? If so, how'd you like it? Sounds like the perfect fountain pen from a cost-benefit perspective: combines "old world charm" with up to date technology, almost on a par with the Esterbrook dollar or J. What do you think?

I'd strongly suggest a Pelikian m200, m215 or other smaller Pelikan (assuming piston fill, no cartridges is OK with you). They're great pens and great values.
You can find the sizes here http://www.richardspens.com/?page=othertxt.htm you also can't go wrong purchasing from Richard or from Pam at www.oscarbraunpens.com they have great service and prices.

+1 I've got a M200 from Richard and he also custom ground the EF nib. It's a terrific pen, not scratchy at all. I love it and I was able to purchase it for $100.

I was thinking about getting a fountain pen. So far I've only considered getting either the Cross II Lustrous Chrome or the Cross ATX Pure Chrome.

Anybody got any specific model or brand they would like to recommend me? I like slim design with chrome or silver as the main color, of course other colors are welcome with it as well. Something really elegant.

The obvious question: How much do want to spend? Another question: Vintage or modern? You can get some very nice vintage pens at reasonable prices if you shop carefully and stick with reputable vendors. If you want to spend $100 or less for a modern pen you should consider: a Lamy Safari, a Bexley Simplicity or a Pelikan 200 or 215. If vintage is your preference there is a wide selection of Esterbrook Js available in good condtion for about $50 as well as Parker 21s. If you want to spend more, say $200 or thereabouts, my favourite modern is the Bexley American, which resembles the Wahl Eversharp "Doric", a classic from the 1930's. In the vintage realm my favourites in this price bracket are the Conway Stewart 58 and 60, and the Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant with the gold Triumph nib (one in mint/near mint condition would run about $125 - $225 depending on the colour); a Sheaffer PFM is another classic although in high demand and depending on model, colour, nib choice and condition will run from $175 to $500, be advised, this is a big pen. An all time classic vintage pen is the venerable Parker 51, which will set you back at least $125 for one in good condition. Check out Richard Binder's website for a good selection of modern and vintage pens as well as reference material on everything to do with fountain pens. The sky's the limit when it comes to fountain pens so be careful of FPAD.

An all time classic vintage pen is the venerable Parker 51, which will set you back at least $125 for one in good condition.

Maybe, but not necessarily, depending on the model, finish, and vintage. A flighter (all stainless steel) will be rather expensive, but mine, a cedar blue "51" Special from around 1963 and in great shape, cost me $35 from another member of FPN, and it was ready to write when it arrived (no repairs necessary). It's not the most exciting pen I have, but it is the most reliable.

Farace, agreed, but there is a nuance here: The 51 Special is the less expensive version of the 51 and was introduced as an entry level pen of the 51. I'm not very familiar with the Special, but it probably doesn't have a 14k gold nib or a rolled gold/goldfilled cap; not sure what other differences there would be. Another thing Berticus should be aware of if he's thinking of vintage is to ensure the pen has been properly restored (e.g. sac has been replaced), which highlights the necessity of sticking with reputable vendors who'll stand behind what they sell and who can guide him through the maze of models, nibs, colours, etc.

I have never used a fountain pen. I had to correct that, so a Lamy Safari is on the way (along with some Noodlers Ink).

Dennis

IMO the Lamy Safari is an excellent "starter" pen for some one who's not used an FP before; it's the FP equivalent of the Gillette Tech or Schick Krona. I've used an FP all my life (we could only use dip pens in primary school and only FPs in secondary school and would have been summarily executed if a ballpoint, we called them Biros, were brought on to school property), but I still use my Lamy Safari frequently. Dennis, the nose of the camel is in the tent and it won't be long before FPAD sets in, so batten down the hatches and get ready for a spectacular ride.

Top Bottom