What's new

Fountain Pens

Dennis, the nose of the camel is in the tent and it won't be long before FPAD sets in, so batten down the hatches and get ready for a spectacular ride.

I read through the FAQs at FPN - very helpful. God, I hope my nose isn't in the tent.... my wife will assasinate me if I start another AD. :rolleyes:

Dennis

Maybe, but not necessarily, depending on the model, finish, and vintage. A flighter (all stainless steel) will be rather expensive, but mine, a cedar blue "51" Special from around 1963 and in great shape, cost me $35 from another member of FPN, and it was ready to write when it arrived (no repairs necessary). It's not the most exciting pen I have, but it is the most reliable.
I bought a Parker 51 (not 'Special', dark blue, silver cap) in very good condition off ebay for about $50, there sometimes sold at by fountainpennetwork.com members for about that much as well. If you become an FPN member you can post a WTB listing and you'll probably get some responses.

Farace, agreed, but there is a nuance here: The 51 Special is the less expensive version of the 51 and was introduced as an entry level pen of the 51. I'm not very familiar with the Special, but it probably doesn't have a 14k gold nib or a rolled gold/goldfilled cap; not sure what other differences there would be. Another thing Berticus should be aware of if he's thinking of vintage is to ensure the pen has been properly restored (e.g. sac has been replaced), which highlights the necessity of sticking with reputable vendors who'll stand behind what they sell and who can guide him through the maze of models, nibs, colours, etc.

Can't argue with that. The Special has a slightly different aerometric filler (presumably cheaper to manufacture). I've never actually seen the nib on mine, so I can't comment there. The cap is the Lustraloy, and mine has the pearl jewel (I understand jewels can vary greatly on these pens.) It does, however, write as well as any other model of "51." It's certainly less entry-level than some of the entry-level pens Parker has made in the recent past (I have a Vector that sees very little use; the fine nib thinks it's a medium). There is a site devoted to the "51" at http://www.parker51.com.

IMO the Lamy Safari is an excellent "starter" pen for some one who's not used an FP before; it's the FP equivalent of the Gillette Tech or Schick Krona. I've used an FP all my life (we could only use dip pens in primary school and only FPs in secondary school and would have been summarily executed if a ballpoint, we called them Biros, were brought on to school property), but I still use my Lamy Safari frequently. Dennis, the nose of the camel is in the tent and it won't be long before FPAD sets in, so batten down the hatches and get ready for a spectacular ride.

Indeed. I started with a Safari, then I got the Charles Hubert (still waiting for shipment because I ordered during his holiday), then a Waterman Phileas, then a Snorkel from eBay (also still waiting for shipment). Not sure if the Snorkel was a wise purchase or not, it might have to go get some repairs from Richard. Or maybe not, I hope. The camel enters slowly into the tent... :lol:

David, with respect to the snorkel the key issues are whether or not the sac and seals have been replaced, and if the snorkel moves in and out freely. Of course there are other issues, as there are with all vintage pens, but IMO these ones are specific to the snorkel. I too have recently purchased a snorkel: it's a mint Valiant with a 14k Triumph nib in fern green; haven't received it yet, but I owned one in secondary school many, many years ago so it'll bring back memories, both good and not so good. Hope you enjoy yours. I'm waiting for the posterior portion of the camel to enter my tent now.

I repaired my own Snorkel--new sac and seals. It's a bit more difficult than just doing a resac like for most other pens, but if you're mechanically inclined and have decent dexterity, it's doable.

Does anyone have a Waterman Charleston? I've been looking at them pretty seriously, but at my local pen shop, you can't try out any fountains, so I'm looking for some first hand information. Also any recommendations on Waterman nib sizes?

Thanks

Does anyone have a Waterman Charleston? I've been looking at them pretty seriously, but at my local pen shop, you can't try out any fountains, so I'm looking for some first hand information. Also any recommendations on Waterman nib sizes?

Thanks

I loves my Charleston! It is my 'special' occasion pen. It doesn't go to the office. I use it for greeting cards and personal letters (you remember those, before email!)! It is nicely weighted, writes smoothly and is a beauty. I have it in Ivory.

As far as nibs, this is a personal preference based on writing style. When I use a gel pen or ballpoint, I'm not picky. But with a FP, I write more slowly. Otherwise, my handwriting is sloppy. So with a FP, I prefer a fine nib. Otherwise, I get too much ink and a lot of bleeding (does that count as shave related?). Also, when using a FP, quality of paper becomes an issue. If you use cheap paper, a fine or extra fine nib may become toothy and "grab" the paper, yet still bleed through or feather.

I don't own any "high end" pens. The majority of my pens are Waterman. The medium nibs seem to allow, for me, an excess of ink. I'll stick with fine in the future. YMMV!

Randy

I loves my Charleston! It is my 'special' occasion pen. It doesn't go to the office. I use it for greeting cards and personal letters (you remember those, before email!)! It is nicely weighted, writes smoothly and is a beauty. I have it in Ivory.

As far as nibs, this is a personal preference based on writing style. When I use a gel pen or ballpoint, I'm not picky. But with a FP, I write more slowly. Otherwise, my handwriting is sloppy. So with a FP, I prefer a fine nib. Otherwise, I get too much ink and a lot of bleeding (does that count as shave related?). Also, when using a FP, quality of paper becomes an issue. If you use cheap paper, a fine or extra fine nib may become toothy and "grab" the paper, yet still bleed through or feather.

I don't own any "high end" pens. The majority of my pens are Waterman. The medium nibs seem to allow, for me, an excess of ink. I'll stick with fine in the future. YMMV!

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy. The Ivory Charleston was the exact pen I was looking at. I already have a Pelikan with an EF nib, so I was looking at an F or M, probably an F though. Thanks again for the info. :thumbup:

I currently have an "entry level" $25 Waterman fountain pen with a fine tip. I like it, but I would like to find a FP under $35 with a smaller tip. Any suggestions?

Please stop. First straights, then DE, now fountain pens; what next coffee roasting? oh no too late. Anyone know of a cheap rehab center?

IMHO writing with ball point pen is like shaving with a cartridge razor and goo (thus the common overlap on these forums). It gets the job done quickly, without any learning curve and it's a tedious monoatony. Writing with an FP on the other hand is a joy!

Mike: Some of the cheaper Hero pens are quite nice F/XF writers for cheap. I've got a 616, 329, and a 237 will be the next purchase. The 237 is the Hero 'accountant pen' in XF/XXF and has been favorably received at the f.p.network.

Wayne

Since we're on the topic of fountain pens, any of you in the DC area want to go to the biggest pen show in the world, it's today and tomorrow at the Sheraton in Tyson's Corner, VA.

http://pencentral.com

Plenty of thousand-dollar pens, a table with 250 inks to try, the best nib tweakers in the world, and a lot of insane acquisition disorders on full display.

I'll be there!

Next pen will be more pricey. Also, not thin plastic/celluloid. I was handling some of the lower end Pelikans at the local pen store and they felt flimsy and cheap. Next pen has gotta be big and have some heft in the body! A Fat Boy of the fountain pen world, if you will.

If you write a fair amount by hand, you'll appreciate the lightest writing implement possible. An FP should by no means be hefty. Heavy equipment means you need a tighter grip, which causes fatigue, cramps, and - in the long run - more serious problems with your fingers/hand. The mantra is to use the least amount of force and the most economical movements to get something accomplished. That also guarantees the most control over the writing itself. Any excess force will be directed at the body and will do harm over time. Watch today's kids write with a pen (if they do write by hand at all). The first thing to notice is that they usually grip the pen as if it was a squeeze ball, and the end joints of their fingers are collapsed. Ouch!

Of course, if you write only occasionally, anything goes.

Best - MM

If you write a fair amount by hand, you'll appreciate the lightest writing implement possible.

I will bear this in mind as I experiment with my new Charles Hubert pen. :biggrin: I don't think I'll be writing with any one pen long enough. Somehow the variety in pens appeals to me the way the variety in shaving razors does: a rotation through a cycle of pens for my daily writing needs.

Hi Mike you can look at avalonpens.com. I have purchased several Hero 616 which come in VF. They are look alikes of the Parker 51. I used this has my everyday pen at work. It is also the cheapest place I have find them. Peace out.:cool:

Top Bottom