What's new

Fountain Pens

Just plain dirty? That never occured to me. I suppose I could wash them before trying anything else. Warm water and what, dish detergent?

Just plain dirty? That never occured to me. I suppose I could wash them before trying anything else. Warm water and what, dish detergent?

I've used that. Just warm, tepid even, not too hot. If you're trying to clean ink out, use a 1:10 ammonia:water solution. If it's a very old pen, though, make sure it's not made of casein before you wash it. Casein shouldn't be washed in water. If you go over to www.fountainpennetwork.com and do a search you'll find lengthy discussions on cleaning.

I'm using a Lamy Safari and Noodler's Beaver ink right now. A fantastic ink and a nice little pen for the price, and one I don't mind putting in my jeans pocket to knock around with.

Next pen will be more pricey. Also, not thin plastic/celluloid. I was handling some of the lower end Pelikans at the local pen store and they felt flimsy and cheap. Next pen has gotta be big and have some heft in the body! A Fat Boy of the fountain pen world, if you will.

I'm using a Lamy Safari and Noodler's Beaver ink right now. A fantastic ink and a nice little pen for the price, and one I don't mind putting in my jeans pocket to knock around with.

Next pen will be more pricey. Also, not thin plastic/celluloid. I was handling some of the lower end Pelikans at the local pen store and they felt flimsy and cheap. Next pen has gotta be big and have some heft in the body! A Fat Boy of the fountain pen world, if you will.

I'm just the opposite. I have a Mont Blanc Le Grand 149. I'm looking for an everyday "knockabout" pen. I've looked at the Safari but I really would like to find a good, fairly inexpensive, slim pen that will fit in the pen loop of my Franklin planner case.

If you are looking for a everyday pen- I have an old Rotring 600 EF- Not as fancy as the many others that I have but it is heavy made of a chunk of aluminum and can double as a weapon when needed- Still love the pen after nearly a decade using it- not even sure if it is made anymore, but a good find if you can purchase one.

If you are looking for a everyday pen- I have an old Rotring 600 EF- Not as fancy as the many others that I have but it is heavy made of a chunk of aluminum and can double as a weapon when needed- Still love the pen after nearly a decade using it- not even sure if it is made anymore, but a good find if you can purchase one.

Will it fit in my pen loop is the main question. I think this loop is no bigger than 1/2" in diameter. I have rollerball that is 7/16" that fits perfectly.

Will it fit in my pen loop is the main question. I think this loop is no bigger than 1/2" in diameter. I have rollerball that is 7/16" that fits perfectly.

Should fit- i may even be a tad bit too narrow for that- the shape of the Rotring is six sided and the clip is solid- so it shouldn't really slide out or roll away-

Are you referring to the plastic parts? I use Novus plastic polish; it is abrasive, but they have two grades of polish and a "clean and shine" spray. the No. 1 is the spray, No. 2 is for fine scratches, and No. 3 is for heavy scratches. I found out by accident that Novus will shine up the metal parts, too.

Flitz will also work. I believe that it, too, is mildly abrasive. Usually what makes plastic dull looking (unless it's just plain dirty) is fine scratches.

I've heard good things about Mother's products as well, but haven't used them myself.

Novus is the polish that I use as well.

Should fit- i may even be a tad bit too narrow for that- the shape of the Rotring is six sided and the clip is solid- so it shouldn't really slide out or roll away-

I LIKE that! I'm sure it will fit and I love the style. Will fit in perfectly with my image here at the office.

Next pen has gotta be big and have some heft in the body! A Fat Boy of the fountain pen world, if you will.

Well, then, I have the pen for you. A Charles Hubert in green plaid. Damned thing feels like a hunk of plumbing in my hand; with the cap posted, it's very top heavy. It's got enough heft that you could probably use it for self defense. I got mine from I Sell Pens; you can see it just before halfway down this page.

http://www.isellpens.com/closeout.htm

At least it's cheap . . .

I've always been a big fan of fountain pens. In primary school we were only allowed to use dip pens and in secondary school only fountain pens, ballpoints were forbidden under all circumstnces and to this day I've always preferred an FP to a ballpoint. I liken it to "wet shaving" vs canned gunk and the multiblade abomination called a razor today. Although my penmanship is lousy I find I write a lot better with an FP than with a ballpoint and get real enjoyment from writing with an FP.

I currently own four fountain pens:

- a 1957 Parker 51, which I inherited from my father in 1983,
- a 1963 Parker 21 Super, which I used through secondary school and university (didn't have computers in those days) and which is my primary FP today,
- a Parker "New" Duofold, which I am not paricularly fond of, and
- a Pelikan M215, which I really like, but I seem to go through nibs.

I have on order two "nostalgia" fountain pens:

- an Esterbrook J and a 9668 nib, I used this model until 1963 when I replaced it with the Parker 21 above; unfortunately I didn't keep the Esterbrook, and
- a 1952 Conway Stewart 58, the pen of my dreams when I was in secondary school, but my folks wouldn't spring for one.

Well, then, I have the pen for you. A Charles Hubert in green plaid. Damned thing feels like a hunk of plumbing in my hand; with the cap posted, it's very top heavy. It's got enough heft that you could probably use it for self defense. I got mine from I Sell Pens; you can see it just before halfway down this page.

Thanks for the tip! I pulled the trigger on it. Now to find an "international converter" somewhere so I can use Noodler's Ink in it. Cartridge ink hasn't thrilled me so far with its saturation.

I got one of those, as well as each of the others, the last one on the page I got two of, LOL. One came with a converter, but the others didn't, so I ordered 3 of them as well. Not a bad day for 4 pens less than $40 total!

Todd was absolutely a breeze to work with on the order. I'd highly recommend his site to anyone. Now I just hope he doesn't let me down in the fulfillment process, LOL!!!

damn you people. it's not bad enough i have spent a small fortune on razors, brushes, blades, and creams. i just bought a fountain pen, some ink and a converter. my handwriting is horrible. i think my next purchase will be write now. i sure hope my handwriting improves. my shaving has truly improved from what i have learned here.

Here, here Michael. It's bad enough having SCAD, RAD, SBAD and ASAD, but now I feel as though I'm slipping into FPAD and WW(wrist watch)AD. Is there any hope, or, to paraphrase Napoleon, should I just lay back and enjoy it? On the plus side Michael, I find I write much better with an FP and I enjoy it.

Top Bottom