What's new

Looking for the HD of the Straight World

Well, the time has come. It's been almost five months since I found this place and took up DE shaving with all its other pleasures. Now, however, I am really itching to acquire a straight and take up that path.

It's very common that when a new guy asks about DE shaving, he is recommended the HD as the first razor. It makes sense, of course. The razor has wonderful shaving characteristics, it works as well as most of them, it is readily available and as such does not break the bank.

In the world of straights, is there such a razor that exhibits the same qualities? The selection is simply overwhelming from what I have seen and it leaves me confused. I've done research here and at the straight razor place and now I would like a recommendation or two (but no more than three :001_tongu ) on a razor. Just like the HD, I would like it to be a friendly razor, but one that is still able to take me far.

I do realize that this may be a highly opinionated question, but if you can think of a razor that would meet my requirements, then please just type it into the text box and hit the Post Reply button. :wink2:

Well, the time has come. It's been almost five months since I found this place and took up DE shaving with all its other pleasures. Now, however, I am really itching to acquire a straight and take up that path.

It's very common that when a new guy asks about DE shaving, he is recommended the HD as the first razor. It makes sense, of course. The razor has wonderful shaving characteristics, it works as well as most of them, it is readily available and as such does not break the bank.

In the world of straights, is there such a razor that exhibits the same qualities? The selection is simply overwhelming from what I have seen and it leaves me confused. I've done research here and at the straight razor place and now I would like a recommendation or two (but no more than three :001_tongu ) on a razor. Just like the HD, I would like it to be a friendly razor, but one that is still able to take me far.

I do realize that this may be a highly opinionated question, but if you can think of a razor that would meet my requirements, then please just type it into the text box and hit the Post Reply button. :wink2:

The biggest thing is to ensure that the razor has been well honed and shave ready. A frequent recommendation is to check the buy and sell section of the SRP forum for a used shave ready straight. SRAD will kick in soon enough.

Nope. No such animal.

Each one is unique.

+1

You have to take into account stropping (leather quality, number of passes, technique, pastes), honing (dry/wet/slurry, grit size, technique, number of passes), and then how well the blade takes and keeps an edge. We haven't even gotten to your actual shaving technique yet! :eek:

If you want to purchase a new razor that is inexpensive and capible of shaving extremely well I would highly recommend the Dovo Special Tortoise from classic shaving in either the 5/8 or 6/8 blade size WITH THE HONING SERVICE. I think that this was the razor that Joel purchased for his shave tests after being very impressed by its shaving abilities. If you want a cheaper option I would purchase a Wipienica razor from Wojtec over at the SRP forum. These razors are about $11 plus about $6 shipping and after being properly honed can easily more than hold their own to razors costing over 10X this price in my experience. Also check the buy/sell section of the SRP forum for inexpensive shave ready razors that senior members are selling. JoshEarl usually has something good available that is shave ready and cheap. Have fun.

Nope. No such animal.

Each one is unique.

+1

You have to take into account stropping (leather quality, number of passes, technique, pastes), honing (dry/wet/slurry, grit size, technique, number of passes), and then how well the blade takes and keeps an edge. We haven't even gotten to your actual shaving technique yet! :eek:
This was my fear. :eek:
If you want to purchase a new razor that is inexpensive and capible of shaving extremely well I would highly recommend the Dovo Special Tortoise from classic shaving in either the 5/8 or 6/8 blade size WITH THE HONING SERVICE. I think that this was the razor that Joel purchased for his shave tests after being very impressed by its shaving abilities. If you want a cheaper option I would purchase a Wipienica razor from Wojtec over at the SRP forum. These razors are about $11 plus about $6 shipping and after being properly honed can easily more than hold their own to razors costing over 10X this price in my experience. Also check the buy/sell section of the SRP forum for inexpensive shave ready razors that senior members are selling. JoshEarl usually has something good available that is shave ready and cheap. Have fun.

Thanks for a real recommendation. :wink2:

I do understand that the razor has to be truly shave ready and that there is a lot else involved in guaranteeing its performance. My desire is to find out from you gents which razor is easy to hone (not that I would do it), easy to use, and still worth every penny.

Edit: BTW, what is the difference between carbon steel and stainless steel?

Stainless steel is carbon steel with chromium added for corrosion-resistance.

As a practical matter, stainless tends to be a little harder to hone but holds its edge better. This is not a hard-and-fast rule - some carbon steel razors are also hard to hone. Both will take an excellent edge. My sharpest razors are carbon steel but there is a wider range in the edge-taking ability of carbon blades. Stainless razors are more modern, made using more controlled production methods, and are more consistently excellent. Put another way, my carbon razors range from D up to A+ but all of my stainless razors are B+ to solid A.

While there were really only a handful of quality DE or injector manufacturers over a span of less than a century, there were hundreds of straight razor manufacturers over at least three centuries. Many smaller operations produced some very fine razors in locations as varied as New York state, Thiers, France, Solingen, Germany, Sheffield, England, and Eskilstuna, Sweden.
While many have favorite brands from these areas, there really is no HD of straight razors.
I would second the recommendation of the Dovo Special. While I don't find it as smooth as my one Sheffield blade, it is a good razor of known quality from one of the two remaining European manufacturers (Thiers-Issard is the other), and is owned by the same corporation that makes Merkur razors.

Before I make a suggestion I want to stress again that beyond being sharp it's all personal preference. However, the double duck razors are know for being easy to hone, hold an edge, and nice looking. I have a dwarf, but the golden edge and satinedge are supposed to be "better."

My $0.02: I've bought a few vintage razors and found each of them to be well-worth the cost. My favorite brand at the moment is Wade & Butcher, from Sheffield. They're fairly popular and easily found for their age. I find them affordable, as long as someone hasn't re-ground them and fitted them with custom scales. The last few I've bought have been $20-35 or so, shave-ready or close to it. If you can get one used at SRP in that price range, I would jump at it.

Also remember that - sooner or later - you'll be wanting a strop or two, some abrasive paste, and eventually a sharpening stone or two.

Thank you for the further input. :thumbup:
Also remember that - sooner or later - you'll be wanting a strop or two, some abrasive paste, and eventually a sharpening stone or two.
Yes, in true B&B fashion, it seems that there are always more acqusitions to be made. :drool:

If you are going to shave with a straight there is much to learn and to know. Rather than get little blurbs of information and opinions you would be wise to go over to SRP and read all the resource material there.

Maybe a Feather with pro-guard blades?... it would give you an introduction, a guaranteed sharp blade that you could not really dull or damage- but on the other hand- you would have to relearn if you go for a straight later on....

If I had to do it all over again I'd start out with a Dovo Bergischer Lowe and a barber hone and stop there. No RAD, no HAD, just great shaves.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If I had to do it all over again I'd start out with a Dovo Bergischer Lowe and a barber hone and stop there. No RAD, no HAD, just great shaves.

That's funny. I started out with that razor, and eventually got rid of it. It was a beauty, and gave great shaves, but the gold on the spine scared me from properly honing it. (Don't feel sorry for me, though- I got a great return on the trade.)

It's one of the most handsome, manliest looking razors I can think of.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom