What's new

Potential online purchase problem. What would you do?

Let's say you bid on an eBay auction and end up outbid. The next day, the seller offers a 2nd chance offer to you because the winning bidder backed out due to a misunderstanding of the auction contents. You request additional pictures and 2nd chance offer expires before you get them. The seller offers to relist with BIN at the time of your choosing so you can jump in and grab it, but being the nice guy that you are you tell the seller you'll just PayPal the agreed amount to save him the additional eBay fees. Let's say you log in the next day and see the item relisted with a larger starting bid and higher shipping. Has the seller accidently relisted the item due to his inexperience on eBay, or is there some fat guy in his underwear sitting at a computer in Eastern Europe laughing maniacally at the stupid Yankee?

Is he a big seller? Ebay won't like what he's done, if and when what you fear turns out to be the case. At least did you mention the item name, description and number in the paypal payment? That should give you some added security.

Is he a big seller? Ebay won't like what he's done, if and when what you fear turns out to be the case. At least did you mention the item name, description and number in the paypal payment? That should give you some added security.

No, not a big seller and no feedback activity since 8/06. The seller sold a few items very recently (too early for feedback), but mostly small stuff except for a $375 PDA. My PayPal account says the item shipped, so we'll see.

Edit: I noticed the item had a tracking number assigned, but not necessarily shipped. Again, we'll see.

If you don't get the item or if it is not as described I am pretty sure that Paypal will take the money out of the seller's account and issue a refund. In disputes I think that they are on the side of the buyer.

I emailed the seller and he said the relisting was a mistake (not his fault) and the eBay was taking care of it. He also said it shipped today, so in however long surface mail from CA to AL takes, I should have my stuff.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hmm, an interesting question. I may be missing something in the intricacies of eBay, but ...

... if the second chance offer time expires, you may be SOL, whether you're waiting for more photos or not. (Unless the vendor agreed to extend the time for the photos to get there.) After that, any offer of a pre-arranged buy-it-now timing is not IMHO going to be binding on the vendor ... he can list it for whatever he wants ... presumably because he thinks he can get more than you were willing to pay for it.

I guess it's a distinction between legality and honour ... but as I say eBay may have other rules about that.

To quote a scene from "Cool Hand Luke"; "What we have here is failure to communicate". I hope for your sake the seller communicated truthfully. :ohmy: Let us know.

Enjoy your shave...:biggrin:

My package came a couple of days ago. I took a chance on a REALLY good deal and it paid off. Probably my deal of the year. Keep an eye out in the Sale forum as I liquidate the stuff I don't want/need from this deal. Thanks for the positive thoughts when I was hanging in the air there for a while.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. You should be aware that you are not protected by ebay for outside deals.

Top Bottom