What's new

Bowls and mugs. What's yours made from?

Wondering whether different shape, size, material, texture etc. of shaving bowls and mugs make a difference to the speed and quality of producing lather. I'm currently using a conical shape bowl (I find it sits more comfortably in my hand and is easier to grip) made from some type of china. It is also light enough for the rim to float just above the water level in the basin - so the hot water keeps the lather warm.

Interested to know what experiences and thoughts others have and whether anyone is using a wooden bowl or mug.

Wondering whether different shape, size, material, texture etc. of shaving bowls and mugs make a difference to the speed and quality of producing lather. I'm currently using a conical shape bowl (I find it sits more comfortably in my hand and is easier to grip) made from some type of china. It is also light enough for the rim to float just above the water level in the basin - so the hot water keeps the lather warm.

Interested to know what experiences and thoughts others have and whether anyone is using a wooden bowl or mug.

Conical?? Interesting choice! How do you place the bowl during a shave? If possible post a picture.

I don't know, do you guys? Got 1st brush this week an SR 3118. Trying battering up in a mug about 4x3 1/4 but it just didn't seem comfortable (a little too "deep". So for now am whipping it up in a ceramic soap dish. It's actually pretty good but would like about 1" higher on the sides.

Am really looking for a "palm" bowl (like the one Jeremy shows above), I think but shallow. Am gonna hit Crate & Barrell , C&E, L'Occelot (or watever), Renovation Hardware & that type of place this weekend to see what I can see. But knowing me it could be months before I actually buy a bowl....

Are the bowls that come with soap from various vendors good for an SR 3118when they are empty. Have seen a few of those avail on the web but wanna handle them in person.

What are other SR 3118 owners using to whip the tip ????

Wondering whether different shape, size, material, texture etc. of shaving bowls and mugs make a difference to the speed and quality of producing lather.

I use a ceramic soup mug when I'm whipping up creams. The lather from various brands can be almost explosive if I heat the mug first and have a proper proportion of water in the brush. It also helps in many cases to press the brush down into the mug so that the tips splay out a lot> (Compared to using just the very tips of the brush to stir with.)

Medium Pyrex mixing bowl and I have the 3118. I mean, c'mon, these bowls were meant for mixing and whipping egg.whites. Dennis

"Nora" -- Sterling-silver shaving mug (3" diameter)
"Goodwill Hunting" -- Sterling-silver shaving bowl (6" diameter)

Photos are of "Nora", then "Goodwill Hunting". "Nora" cost $30 on eBay; "Goodwill Hunting" cost $1.50 at the Goodwill Thrift Shop.

I don't know, do you guys? Got 1st brush this week an SR 3118. Trying battering up in a mug about 4x3 1/4 but it just didn't seem comfortable (a little too "deep". So for now am whipping it up in a ceramic soap dish. It's actually pretty good but would like about 1" higher on the sides.

Am really looking for a "palm" bowl (like the one Jeremy shows above), I think but shallow. Am gonna hit Crate & Barrell , C&E, L'Occelot (or watever), Renovation Hardware & that type of place this weekend to see what I can see. But knowing me it could be months before I actually buy a bowl....

Are the bowls that come with soap from various vendors good for an SR 3118when they are empty. Have seen a few of those avail on the web but wanna handle them in person.

What are other SR 3118 owners using to whip the tip ????

Gary,
The pyrex bowl that Dennis mentioned is a great solution for the Il Bambino that you have. If you want to invest in a lifetime of shaving pleasure, contact Sara Bonneyman and order a Moss Scuttle. I have a custom piece that is 4.5 in. in diameer and about 2.5 in depth, it also has lather rings in the bottom. It works with both my small brushes and my B&B Ebony finnest, which is the largest brush I have. She can make you anything that you want dimention wise. Warm lather is worth the price.

IKEA has a good selection, I use this one mostly.

proxy.php

Here's what I use. It's the last of a set of 4 French Onion Soup bowls we had for years. I would like a tiny bit bigger but it suits the needs, and it holds the heat well. My Arlington brush and an Aristocrat for size reference.

proxy.php

Mine's a nice ceramic bowl made by a local potter. Soaking the bowl in hot water for a few minutes makes it absorb enough heat to keep the lather warm for the entire shave. If you want warm lather, go for ceramic!
proxy.php

Gary,
The pyrex bowl that Dennis mentioned is a great solution for the Il Bambino that you have. If you want to invest in a lifetime of shaving pleasure, contact Sara Bonneyman and order a Moss Scuttle. I have a custom piece that is 4.5 in. in diameer and about 2.5 in depth, it also has lather rings in the bottom. It works with both my small brushes and my B&B Ebony finnest, which is the largest brush I have. She can make you anything that you want dimention wise. Warm lather is worth the price.
That would be the Small size Mossie, right?? Put a WTB post for one a few days ago, but so far no Sellers...Sure would like one'a them....Mebbe enough
hints to SWMBO (or begging) might produce a Xmas Gift of scuttly type !

These are all some excellent suggestions & Pix to comtemplate...

I use a two-piece ceramic thing that Wal-Mart sells as a "self-watering flower pot" for about $6. It's an outer bowl that you put water in, and an inner pot that's heavy enough not to float. The inner pot has no glaze on the bottom part. It works just fine, and keeps the lather warm. You must realize that I have a Kent BK12 brush, and most bowls are just not big enough! Here's a picture from a SOTD. You might be able to get one in a smaller size, I wasn't really looking for a small one. You can also set the entire thing in a basin of hot water, but then I find that when I rinse between passes I may get extra water into the lather.

My bowl and usurped "spoon rest" with Honey Bee Spa soap and Rooney Style 1 Medium for size. Old news but still fill the bill.

full

~jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been using my "cheap SOB" scuttle as seen in this post. It does a great job of keeping things warm. The other day, though, I decided I didn't need to keep the lather warm and just used a seventy-five cent soup mug from the thrift shop. The lather was surprisingly better. Now I'm starting to wonder if there is something about aluminum that reduces latherability. Anyone know? I'm sticking with the ceramics for now.

The lather was surprisingly better. Now I'm starting to wonder if there is something about aluminum that reduces latherability. Anyone know? I'm sticking with the ceramics for now.

I had the same experience. Now, I am not a professional scientist, but the main difference I did notice between ceramic and metal is that some metals don’t really get wet. i.e. there isn’t a thin layer of water covering the surface of the bowl, just a few drops here and there. The soap/cream stays in the brush where it is not being whipped. I believe that the thin layer of water is helpful to drag and suck the cream from the brush.

Top Bottom