What's new

I Took The East Coast Wings "Insanity Wing Challenge" and LOST!

Hey Guys,

I went to East Coast Wings for lunch today and ordered 10 wings with the Magma sauce. These were pretty tasty and had a good flavor and a good amount of heat to them. The waitress came back and asked if I wanted to try an “Insanity Wing”, so I said “why not?” It wasn’t long before I was presented a waiver to sign and a pair of rubber gloves to use when I picked the wing up! I was also asked if I wanted some toast or a glass of milk, but being the tough guy I am I quickly declined. I thought to myself, “how much hotter could this thing be? I’m already comfortably munching down on wings that are only 2 steps away from the top, so I can handle it!”

Now I don’t normally do things like this but for some reason I decided today was a good day to die! The manager brought the wing, that’s right, 1 wing, out and I immediately got a whiff of something truly wicked! It had a smell that was far from pleasing to me, but I was in this far, so on with the show. I asked the manager if I should finish the 10 I had already (I was 5 deep at that point), and he said it depended on how I could handle the heat. Having a new found confidence I jumped into the Insanity wing with both feet!

The taste was horrible! It wasn’t that the heat was unbearable, but it had so many different kinds of pepper (proprietary blend the manager said), it simply didn’t taste good at all. I made mention of that fact about midway through, and the manager told me I better hurry up because I only had about 30 seconds before the burn set in. OK, I finish the nasty thing, take a sip of water, which obviously served as some type of conduit (think detonation cord), and I was LIT UP! The burn in my mouth and lips was only tempered by the boiling in my stomach! Everyone I was with was watching, seemingly waiting for my head to pop off my shoulders! I suffered through for a bit (manager said the burn lasts for 7 minutes), and as I was hating life he precedes to let us all know that a habanero pepper has around 150,000 Scoville Heat Units and the concoction I had just ingested hit the scale at 3,000,000+! I asked for some milk, and it offered relief after a couple of sips. The manager said to sip or I risked vomiting (SAY WHAT!), which did cross my mind several times! I left the table and went to the restroom to collect myself, and found I was sweating profusely on my forehead, face, even BEHIND MY EARS! After a few splashes of water from the sink, things were starting to sort out.

I’m typing this approximately 4 hours after the experience, and I can still smell the nasty sauce and have burped a few times, which could easily kill a farm animal! Take my advice if you feel the need to take the “Insanity Wing Challenge” – DON’T!

If you ate the whole thing and kept it down it sounds like you won. Good job!

And count me out. I like spicy foods but I'm no masochist.

Oh man. I don't want to be you tomorrow. Just remember: you are not experiencing the apocalypse, you just digested an insanity wing. Good luck, brother.

Man that's rough. I am a fan of hot wings, but 3mil Scoville. That is crazy!

I think I would rather stick my tongue in a moving fan!

I found this vid is that you? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE - I thought I was going to make it but I had to ask Earl where he parked the Buick about an hour ago... I took a couple of shots of pepto this afternoon and the second one didn't sit well.

What's worse than an Insantity wing going down? One that has had a few hours of "festering time" in your stomach coming back in the opposite direction! Hopefully the "next" experience tomorrow morning won't be any worse!

I just ate a bowl of cereal and things seem to be getting back to normal. I think I proved today that it's tough work to be a Redneck! (My lovely wife agrees with this statement 110%! She's had a good time giving me shiz all evening!)

I've tried some spicy stuff and paid the next day on the back end. I wouldn't even touch this one. My ex-wife said it best: "Food's not supposed to hurt!"

a habanero pepper has around 150,000 Scoville Heat Units and the concoction I had just ingested hit the scale at 3,000,000+!

A typical habanero's closer to 850,000, but many extract based sauces go way beyond that. The world's hottest chilli's around 1,150,000 scoville (dorset naga or trinidad scorpion... can't remember which) and police issue pepper spray uses around 3,000,000 scoville extract diluted... go figure! I've got some 6,000,000 scoville extract which is just nuts. There's no way I could eat that stuff on its own, 3,000,000 is pushing it definitely. Although I've had 'suicide wings' and ate 20 with just 1 beer to wash it down and survived. Sounds like I need to try this place (if I'm ever in the states that is!)

I used to eat at the East Coast Wings place in Mocksville pretty often. I ordered them rather hot, but not the Insanity level. I am now glad that I did not get those.

I'd rather try the cinnamon challenge than the Insanity Wings.

What's that? I once swallowed a heaping tablespoon of cinnamon once...was a horrible experience for about a half an hour.

The worst part...it was MY idea, not on a bet, just to entertain a co-worker...no profit or prize for doing it...just laughter.

I have done a couple of the wing challenges that the various wing restaurants in our area have. It is definitely not pleasant after eating and even less pleasant the next day when it is coming out the other end.

Buffalo Wild Wings gave me a t-shirt for finishing 6 blazing wings in 6 minutes. They were not too bad though it was unpleasant for a few minutes after finishing.

Another restaurant in DC made me sign a waiver before I ate 1 wing, just like you. It was horrible. Not even milk or a cold brownie helped.

I would never do that sort of thing again, what was I thinking!? :blink:

What's that? I once swallowed a heaping tablespoon of cinnamon once...was a horrible experience for about a half an hour.

The worst part...it was MY idea, not on a bet, just to entertain a co-worker...no profit or prize for doing it...just laughter.

It looks miserable. Hope there was plenty of laughter, it had to be a long half hour.

It looks miserable. Hope there was plenty of laughter, it had to be a long half hour.

Yep, what it does is make your mouth feel COMPLETELY DRY. It absorbs all moisture...really horrible feeling. I was also blowing out red clouds like some kind of dragon. No matter how much you drink, it feels like you have a mouthful of sawdust and cotton balls. It doesn't really burn, but the way it makes your mouth feel like you've been in a desert for a week without water is just too much to take. Tastes bad too, I like cinnamon a lot, but not that much of it.

I had the guy literally in tears. He couldn't stop laughing...especially when I'd blow some cinna-smoke out when talking.

This was a few years ago, I had not even heard of the cinnamon challenge. Maybe I invented it and didn't even know!

While I love spicy food, I don't like stuff that almost kills you.

I love the fact that you had to sign a waiver.

Is this a local place or a chain? I'd love to give it a try. We have a place here in Portland called Fire on the Mountain and their El Jefe wings are pretty intense.

Reminds me of that episode of man vs food where he eats the curry that the guy has to cook with a gas mask on.

I am a fan of heat, but within limits. Years ago, I ate at a rib place near Vail, Colorado, that makes them with sauce on a scale of 1 to 10. I had the 7 first time out, and thought I could handle the 10. I went back a few days later, and had the 10. It was insanely hot, and I did not enjoy the ribs, which to me is the point of heat. Not to eat it for it's own sake but to enhance the flavor of food. I routinely roast hot peppers once a week, and keep them in the fridge, and normally have a whole roasted hot pepper each evening, which makes the meal more enjoyable. To set myself on fire for the sake of being ablaze is not something I care to do.

Top Bottom