What's new

Lets see your Wackers

Here is my new Wacker Finest Silver Steel 6/8 Spanish point. Pretty horrible experience buying this from John Crowley of the "shavingshop". Anyway after three weeks and returning two razors with pitting visible to the naked eye I have a Wacker. The bad news is the scales are warped, the good news is that the steel is really nice and takes a very nice edge. Hard steel and a full hollow blade makes a nice combination. I like it but I prefer my vintage Solingen blades.
$IMG_7182.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your experience with John. I have bought two high dollar Wackers from him and both have been exactly as described. I would not hesitate to buy from John again

Congrats on a sweet-looking razor, Noah. Sorry you had to go through all that to get it though.

Thanks. It was my third choice. The first one was a 7/8 Wacker Jungmeister in blond horn scales and decorated spine, price $330. Second choice was the Wacker "Red Head" in blond horn, price $240. Both returned due to pitting and at my own cost. Below are the photos of the pitting. These are supposed to be brand new razors. The "red head" had more pitting on the edge that had been restored/removed. Of course none of the razors were shave ready.

$Wacker Jungmeister pitting.jpg
$Wacker Red Head ptting.jpg

Thanks. It was my third choice. The first one was a 7/8 Wacker Jungmeister in blond horn scales and decorated spine, price $330. Second choice was the Wacker "Red Head" in blond horn, price $240. Both returned due to pitting and at my own cost. Below are the photos of the pitting. These are supposed to be brand new razors. The "red head" had more pitting on the edge that had been restored/removed. Of course none of the razors were shave ready.

View attachment 433897
View attachment 433898

Wow I've never seen that from a razor from john... I've bought 5 total from him

Here is my new Wacker Finest Silver Steel 6/8 Spanish point. Pretty horrible experience buying this from John Crowley of the "shavingshop". Anyway after three weeks and returning two razors with pitting visible to the naked eye I have a Wacker. The bad news is the scales are warped, the good news is that the steel is really nice and takes a very nice edge. Hard steel and a full hollow blade makes a nice combination. I like it but I prefer my vintage Solingen blades.
View attachment 433863

Eesh. Sorry you had a negative experience. At least that blade seems pristine.

The razor you kept is gorgeous.
I picked up a Dorko from John that was immaculate.
Guess you have to really inspect after something arrives.

If he advertises them as NOS, then I could understand but the wackers he has are new recent and it should not have happened. I had the same experience at Superior shave but Daren made it right asap.

Superb!! I was very tempted to get one of these, but I can't understand why they drilled the pivot hole so far into the scales...
Apart from looking a bit different, does it bother at all when honing/stropping, or possibly even when holding the straight to shave?

Yes it's bothersome... This is the same scale for all the wackers... My dorko wacker has the same scales but it's longer so it's closer to the end... I'm thinking of modifying them

Yes it's bothersome... This is the same scale for all the wackers... My dorko wacker has the same scales but it's longer so it's closer to the end... I'm thinking of modifying them

That's too bad :( I was hoping for the opposite answer! I wonder what they had in mind when they did this. I know I've noticed when I do scales if they are too big near the pivot end, it leaves less room for the fingers to position properly and its harder to get the scales out of the way to shave.

I thought it was only on 1-2 models though. I was looking at "The Barbier's bride" with envy lately...

That's too bad :( I was hoping for the opposite answer! I wonder what they had in mind when they did this. I know I've noticed when I do scales if they are too big near the pivot end, it leaves less room for the fingers to position properly and its harder to get the scales out of the way to shave.

I thought it was only on 1-2 models though. I was looking at "The Barbier's bride" with envy lately...

The bride is a nice one but a bit small. (6/8)

The bride is a nice one but a bit small. (6/8)

Indeed, but aren't they actually a little bigger than advertised (thought I read about that somewhere)? I thought the 6/8 were usually more around 13/16, and the 7/8 a little larger as well? Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part.

Top Bottom