What's new

Shavingsoap and cream dries out skin, forced to use " canned goo"

Lord knows, I have tried, but my face dries out if I use shaving soap or cream.My skin gets dry and raw if I use these. I have been using regular shaving gel (Nivea Extreme Comfort series) and my skin gets better and better.

I really hate to go back, but I really see no other option. I have used: Dr. Harris Almond cream, AOS Lavender,Palmolive cream, Speick shavningcream, and soap.Tabac shavingsoap,Cella shaving soap etc. It must be the soap in this stuff.

I don´t have a problem with shaving creams from brands like Clinique, Kyoku for men, etc.Also the cheaper Wilkinson Sword Hydro shavingcream works better that shavingsoap , but some of those are brushless creams and I really liked to use my brush.

Looks I´m am forced to go back to the canned stuff:sad:

Well, maybe you need to use goop and maybe you don't.

The soap is on your face for a limited time, then completely washed off, correct? After the drying of the face it's up to you how you moisturize it. I make my own Bay Rum with a self contained moisturizer and my facial skin has never been so good. But there are enough moisturizers on the market to sink a battleship. I'd pick a few and try them before I ever went back to an inferior product. Knowing how crappy the goops are I doubt that the goop is actually good for your skin. I'm more inclined to think it's something you do after shaving that makes the difference. You don't say, you just give the declaration of this is what I'm going to do and why. That sorta doesn't give anyone much to work with if you're looking for help.

Use Noxema or Shave Secret on you face before you lather up. Also try showering before you shave the Hot water will hydrate you beard and skin.
Also use a AS Balm that will mosturize your face.

Have you tried Uberlather? Soap + cream + glycerin = great skin.

When the wiki is up, check it out.

Today I made an Uberlather of McD soap + Godrej Menthol Mist cream + glycerin. My skin felt great. At the end of the shave I took whatever mixture was left over and massaged it on my face. I let it stay there for 30 seconds and rinsed off. My skin felt great and not dry.

Also, what do you do after you shave? In addition to above, a quick splash of Thayers followed by an ASB or moisturizer and my skin has never been healthier.

Last edited:
What else are you doing?
I found my skin to be so smooth since I switched to using real lather. Could it be your lather is too dry?

I would not give up on the good stuff just yet

Thanks for the advice guys, really, but If canned goo really is inferior to shavingsoap, than why doesn´t it dry out my skin like shavingsoap does?. If I use shave gel out of a can, my skin is not dry at all, almost to a point I don´t even have use a moisturiser. When I use shaving soap, my skin just screams for a moisturiser. To make clear, I always shower or wash my face prior to shaving with a non soap based facewash and use a moisturiser after. I´m still looking for a good cream to replace the canned stuff, so if anyone has the same problem as I have , please suggestions are welcome. I did recently tried the Hydro shaving cream and the Kyoku for men shavingcream, which work really well. Maybe I should stick to those.

About the lathering thing,..hmmm, I tried lot´s of lathering, adding less water, more water, nothing helped so far. I will experiment some more with the lathering, but I doubt that´s the problem.

Last edited:
Dang! :angry: You have used some nice creams and soaps. Sounds frustrating that they haven't worked for you.

I see you haven't tried my two favorite creams, TOBS avocado and Nancy Boy. TOBS has a list of ingredients I can't pronounce, and Nancy Boy has various plant oils (coconut, avocado, aloe, etc.) mixed in with glycerin and other unpronounceable ingredients. Perhaps one of these would work for you.

As mentioned in previous replies, a good after shave treatment might do the trick for you. A cold water rinse to close the pores and some moisturizing balm will help protect your skin from drying out. I often use Nivea aftershave balm.

Let us know if you are willing to experiment any further, and what results you may have. It sounds like we hope you can find a solution that allows you to use your brush. Perhaps experimenting on a limited basis, alternating between brushless and regular shaving creams will give you a chance to find a great option that works for you.

using really hot water will actually dry out your skin, not moisturize and 'hydrate' it. Also, soaps like tabac are supposed to be extremely moisturizing. If you're feeling raw after using them, is it possible that you are allergic to a particular ingredient?

Eric V. Thanks! The Nancy Boy sounds like a good one, maybe I can try that one, if the int. shipping isn´t to much.

using really hot water will actually dry out your skin, not moisturize and 'hydrate' it.

+1 to this. Ever notice how hot showers can leave you feeling dry and itchy afterward? I would suggest try using cold water, in addition to other recommendations above. Don't think it'll be a quick fix, but it may help.

Thanks for the advice guys, really, but If canned goo really is inferior to shavingsoap, than why doesn´t it dry out my skin like shavingsoap does?. If I use shave gel out of a can, my skin is not dry at all, almost to a point I don´t even have use a moisturiser. When I use shaving soap, my skin just screams for a moisturiser.
IMO, they aren't really as bad as their detractors make them out to be. Many of the gels are really pretty good. Where they really fall short tends to be scent. Hospital Restroom Sanitizer isn't that great an idea for a scent.

I did recently tried the Hydro shaving cream and the Kyoku for men shavingcream, which work really well. Maybe I should stick to those.
I really like the modern non-lathering products. They aren't usually compatible with a brush, but their performance is excellent.

In addition to the suggestions posted above, try rinsing more than you think you need to after your shave. First with warm water, then cold.

If I had to go back to canned stuff, I'd either go back to Aveeno gel or to the King of Shaves gels (non-lathering).

If you want something really gentle on your face, Paula's Choice makes a non-lathering shave gel that's mostly aloe vera. No way her gel could dry out your face.

Use what ever works, don't feel like you have to use real soaps/creams. Of the ones you have tried Cella was the least drying to me. You could try Insitute Karite shave soap, it has shea butter in it which reduces drying of the skin.

I don't think Paula's choice or nancy boy ship internationally.

I've never used that Nivea gel but I'm not surprised because I really do think the Nivea products are good.
So here's my advice.

Since you are already getting great results with Nivea gel but you want to use your brush. Pick up some Nivea cream in the tube and see how that works for you. Also I would stay away from anything that is called "cleansing" or contains some kind of citrus because those tend to clear away the oil on your face and will dry it right out.

I apreciate the help guys, thanks a lot! I will try some of the (brushles) shaving cream brands mentioned and try out the cold water advice.
I got good advice from everyone. Badger and Blade is a great place.

Top Bottom