Let me know if you want to try some of them :001_smile

Hmm, you might be on to something there! :blushing:

Oh, I forgot to post the rocks! :scared:

Let me know if you want to try some of them :001_smile

And get the need for more hones????

Of course I want to try some day :w00t:

Same thing goes for you of course :001_smile

It sure will Erik :001_smile

Straight shave #24 this Saturday morning. Second go with the Friodur 8/8 and it was much better than the first. Way more confident with it now, and may had my very best straight shave so far. A better shave than I though possible when I started a few weeks ago for sure :001_tongu I'm blown away how I can do ATG on my neck and don't have any irritation.

Time for a little update, shave #39 today and it was again a great shave using the awesome Feather AC SS.
I've also gotten really surprisingly great results from a 8x3" C12K stone I got a few days ago, very smooth and sharp edge from it on my Gotta 6/8. Pretty blown away with it really.

Here's a little family photo:
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-17

The smaller ones doesn't get much use, I like 6/8 and larger it seems, so they will be sold here on the BST soon I guess.

I have a few more in the way, I can't resist nice $20-30 eBay razors!:w00t:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320724741694&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320725929451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And last, but not least, I have a NOS Japanese straight on the way:

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-15
:001_smile

I do not know how big your stash of practice material razors are for your honing experiments but if the razors in the picture are the lot you might want to hold on to the small ones as practice material.

I do not know how big your stash of practice material razors are for your honing experiments but if the razors in the picture are the lot you might want to hold on to the small ones as practice material.

I'm pretty much just replacing the smaller ones with 6/8's as I have fun finding decent straights on eBay :001_smile
Instead of just have them taking up space, I'd rather get rid of them.
I'm sure there's always a marked for shave-ready straights for around $25-30.

Blix, how do you like the scrupleworks strop? Looks really interesting

It's really great, incredible soft leather with a super nice draw. I got a 2" and I'm strongly consider having him make me a 2.5" as I seem to prefer that size. With the soft leather it rolls together easily for travel as well. :001_smile

Today I got some great tips from honemeister and perfectionist Tom Blodgett of Jendeindustries.com . My go-to honing system is Shapton GS and he knows his way around them better than most.

I have this 8/8 Friodur that I chipped a while back, so I started on the DMT 325. The chip was small, so it didn't take much work luckily.
Then I set the bevel on the Chosera 1k, then did a combo of regular and x-strokes on the Shapton 2k.
At 4k the fun started, I did 70 (yes seventy) x-strokes with the razor perpendicular to the stone, then 10-15 strokes with a slight heel leading angle. This was repeated on the 6k and 8k.
On the 16k I did 20 light strokes, then finished it up with 10 strokes on CrOx on balsa.

Tom is a believer of honing out the scratches of the previous stone before moving on to the next, thus the large number of strokes.
And I have to say, now I'm a believer too!
Never have I got such a smooth feeling edge off the Shaptons before, truly remarkable.
Yet still super sharp. Hmm, now I lust for the 30k GS :w00t:
Thanks Tom!

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-08-31

I have 2 razors incoming from Tom that he honed for me. My honing was pretty good according to Tom, but not fantastic. So I'm interested to see what he does with them :D

Just finished my 100th straight shave. What a journey this have been. Plenty AD's, LOTS of money spent, it's been a blast for sure!
Sitting here with yet another smooth BBS shave using a straight razor, just awesome.

Used a 5/8 Hungarian Flaschner today, which I honed using my regular Chosera 1k, Shapton 2-4-6-8-16k progression. Took an awesome sharp yet smooth edge.

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-09-24

Congrats on 100 straight shave's. I'm really enjoying the experience too. I really love the looks of you're Henckel's Friodur. So much so, that I recently got one of my own.:w00t: It is my first new razor purchase, and you're recent post's about it pushed me over the edge. I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks.

Congrats on 100 straight shave's. I'm really enjoying the experience too. I really love the looks of you're Henckel's Friodur. So much so, that I recently got one of my own.:w00t: It is my first new razor purchase, and you're recent post's about it pushed me over the edge. I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks.

You're welcome! My Friodur is one of my favorite straights, and I will most likely buy more of them for sure.

Top Bottom