What's new

Blix's straight shaving journal.

Oops II, looks like there's a Gotta Superfine coming as well!

proxy.php

Both set me back less than $25 each, I could have done worse. :thumbup1:

Nice score's!

What model is that Heljestrand?

Parker & Son's something, and marked Heljestrand, Eskilstuna on the other side, so it's not one of the regular Heljestrands.
A bit small, but I'll give it a try some day :001_smile
Cool thing is that the box is dated, October 30th 1941.

I already have it! :001_smile
I'll use it for tomorrows shave, my first couple coticule honing jobs turned out fine, so it should be shave-ready.

I received a killer old Gotta today, it was an eBay gamble, one weak photo and not much of a description and $24.
Turned out it was really nice, and a 6/8. My first Sheffield steel razor. Set the bevel on a Chosera 1K , and did the rest on a coticule, and it ended up a really smooth shaver!

Shave #20 today, well around 20, I kinda lost count haha.
I got something really nice in the mail yesterday, a 145x40mm Ozuku Asagi stone, along with a couple nagura stones. (tenjyou and tomo)
After a couple tries I think I'm starting to get the hang of the stone, did the 6/8 Gotta and ended up with a very smooth yet sharp edge.
Almost BBS with a quick ATG ands XTG, and my skin feels almost like I never shaved!

After 10 days in customs my Shapton stones finally arrived, so now I have an almost full Shapton glass stone system, 2-4-6-8-16k and the stone holder. Amazing system , very good feedback when honing, easy to see and feel when you are on the right track. Honed up an old KeenKutter, which ended up nice and sharp. Really fun stuff! :001_smile

Blix, congrats on moving to straights. Based on being the most prone member to ADs I've seen since joining. My guess is you'll have 50 straights by year end. lol Kidding aside, lots of luck.

Blix, congrats on moving to straights. Based on being the most prone member to ADs I've seen since joining. My guess is you'll have 50 straights by year end. lol Kidding aside, lots of luck.

Well only 40 to go then! :w00t:

Straight shave #22 today. Used the 5/8 Keen Kutter I honed yesterday on the Shaptons.
Proraso green pre-shave cream, Cella soap and a Semogue SOC brush.
The razor was really sharp, not as smooth as the razors off the coticule, but gave me a great shave. I "finished" it on a
Ozuku Asagi J-Nat today, and will use it again for tomorrows shave. :001_smile

New razor and no pictures? :sad:

I know, I know. I haven't been able to find my camera battery charger for weeks, but I just found it and I have batteries charging as I type. There will be pictures very soon, and I think the mailman might have a cool new razor for me today as well! :001_smile

My naturals:
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-06-30

Left to right
La Petite Blanche Coticule
Ozuku Asagi
La Grosse Blanche Coticule
"Chinese 12k"

As this thread have been low on pictures due to my battery charger(for my camera) spent some time hiding from me. here's some pretty pictures :001_smile

More of the Henckels Friodur

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01

Scrupleworks and Illinois strops
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Keen Kutter 9/16
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Gilbert Brothers 6/8 Sheffield
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Gotta 120 Superfine 6/8
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Geneva 5/8
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Keen Kutter 5/8
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
Friodur again
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01
And the best couple bucks ever spent , 20x magnifier with led light, a must have when honing
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-07-01

Top Bottom