What's new

L.A. Noire

Looks pretty good...I think ill wait till I can find it used though. GTA 4 was awesome and so was Red Dead...but after I beat the game I never play it again. So not worth the $60.00.

I'd like to give it a go, but I'll wait 'till it's discounted.

One of the few games I had to have as soon as possible was Combat Mission:Battle for Normandy. It's a detailed simulation of tactical action in WWII, and it's very absorbing.

I'm almost done with it, on the last mission. I've put over 14 hours into it, maybe 15 now since I last checked, which I think is pretty good for single player non-RPG length these days. Definitely a lot more time than Call of Duty and the ilk, and I haven't even tried to do any of the extra little calls you get in over the radio or find any of the film reels. I've also not done any of the DLC cases I have codes for yet as I'm playing it on PS3 (thanks PSN!).

I've really enjoyed it for the most part. There have been a few times during lie accusations where I've felt the evidence I've provided should have worked and it didn't, and a few of the action sequences are kind of ridiculous, even for a seasoned gamer.

My only real complaint is driving with the siren on. The cars only make a half attempt at getting out of the way, and going down a two lane road with the siren on will always mean having to go up on the sidewalk as cars stopped at an intersection will not get out of the way whatsoever, and cars coming the opposite direction will just stop, meaning you have a totally blocked intersection. Maybe I'm too impatient with the driving, but I always wind up hitting something going to a location. As such, I almost always let my partner drive so that my score isn't affected.

I've only blown one case so far, and everything else has been either 4 or 5 stars, so I guess I'm pretty good.

The game doesn't really play like GTA or Red Dead, so don't use that as a comparison. The only mechanic that really transfers over is the driving from GTA, and some of the shooting mechanics, but even that's different. Unlike GTA or RDR I can see myself playing it again just to try to find every clue and get every question perfect. Whenever I get a question wrong it bothers me to no end, even if it has no effect on my solving the case.

I've really enjoyed the story too. I like how all of the foreshadowing/flashbacks/newspaper stories all come together in the end after wondering about them the entire game. There are a few things I think they could have done better, but I won't mention them as it would spoil it.

Definitely up with Portal 2 so far for best games of the year for me. However, I can definitely see how someone wouldn't like L.A. Noire. There's definitely a learning curve as there's never really been a game with this kind of gameplay before and I know a lot of people have a hard time with the interrogations. I'd say it's a love it or hate it game.

I've been playing it too. I really like it. I sometimes blow the suspect interrogations because I somehow missed a key clue, but I still manage to clear the cases OK.
I agree with Amer that the driving mechanics are too much like GTA, but unlike GTA you get penalized in LA Noir for doing damage to your car, so it's not quite fair.

Overall though it's a fun game -- definitely worth a try if you want to think about what youre doing. There's not a lot of action -- a few sequences where you need to grab some arcade skills, but it's pretty much as far from a "twitch" game as you can get. Almost as good as Red Dead Redemption.... (Which is possibly the best game I've ever played on the PS3.)

I've been playing it too. I really like it. I sometimes blow the suspect interrogations because I somehow missed a key clue, but I still manage to clear the cases OK.
I agree with Amer that the driving mechanics are too much like GTA, but unlike GTA you get penalized in LA Noir for doing damage to your car, so it's not quite fair.

Overall though it's a fun game -- definitely worth a try if you want to think about what youre doing. There's not a lot of action -- a few sequences where you need to grab some arcade skills, but it's pretty much as far from a "twitch" game as you can get. Almost as good as Red Dead Redemption.... (Which is possibly the best game I've ever played on the PS3.)

With the last three Rockstar games (GTA, RDR, LA Noire) I've been really impressed with the level of depth and the attention to details. Anyone who's a fan of western movies shouldn't miss Red Dead Redemption.

Top Bottom