What's new

It's a kind of art form / elaborate science (Method Shaving)

He does believe in shaving every day. Yes, 7 days a week.

I shave daily, yes 7 days a week also and have stubble to show. If you want to show people a shave video I would think they would want to see you actually have something on your face you are actually shaving. Thats all.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know the debate about whether or not he has whiskers, and don't really care. I'm not there (nor do I want to be) to see if he's BBS or just SAS. Doesn't matter to me.

But I will say this;

If he can go that fast, that many times on a face that has ALREADY been shaved?

That's gotta be some pretty slick stuff.

The argument that he has already shaved kinda backfires if you think that he's already done at least one pass right?

Not getting into a debate on whether he got a smooth shave or not. Not debating the method shaving at all, just seems odd to do a shave video when you look clean shaven to begin with. I mean dioes he even need or have a blade in his razor. Forget it, it was just an observation.............

Not getting into a debate on whether he got a smooth shave or not. Not debating the method shaving at all, just seems odd to do a shave video when you look clean shaven to begin with. I mean dioes he even need or have a blade in his razor. Forget it, it was just an observation.............

But you had to have the last word? LOL

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

No problem, it's ok.
There have been reports of people who have visited him, not myself, but people who I have no problem believing who have verified that indeed there is a blade in that razor, usually a feather I am told.

I am new to shaving and happen to live in Austin. I heard about Enchante (though not about Method Shaving) and decided to go explore products. I went into the store for what I thought would be a quick visit, see what supplies they carry and possibly purchase a new toy :)

I met the owner and I have to say he is SUPER intense but seems like a nice guy. He spent about an hour or so describing method shaving and talking about his products and videos. Quite a bit of the time trying to convince me to get a DE vs a straight. I'm new so I didn't mind but even if I had I probably couldn't have visited much quicker.

Any way he gave me free samples of all of his products and even offered to do an hour class if I decided to purchase a DE in the future.

I went home and tried the items (with a brush) and didn't really care for the balm and paste. I personally felt like it was hard to get feedback from the blade. Of course it wasn't with a DE so that might be part of the problem and I am not nearly close enough to shave with speed.

He also gave me some aftershave and I really enjoyed it. It felt good being applied and I enjoyed the way it made my skin feel.

Like I said I'm new so take my opinion however you like. While i do have some goals to increase my AD, I haven't had the time or money to sample very much of the vast supply of creams\soaps\brushes\Razors\Aftershaves etc.

The short answer is speed shaving is an entirely different approach to shaving than the classical slow & deliberate methods, and has its own techniques that need to be practiced.

I have my own ideas, rather theoretical, and largely a matter of conjecture on my part...

Steve, that was a very interesting post. I hadn't really thought about momentum or kinetic energy and the razor until now. But you can't chop down a tree unless you swing the axe. This morning I was shaving with a Dorco blade, which often pulls a little on my chin. So I sped up the stroke - very slightly - and the tugging disappeared. Obviously this risks razor burn or even cuts, if my prep and technique aren't up to the job. It might be especially dangerous on my chin, where there are so many angles to watch, but the experience made me decide that I ought to use a little more speed in some areas. My instinct is to slow down when I am shaving a tricky area, but the razor needs to have enough speed to do its job. It's also important to remember that moving the razor a little faster still means a very light touch, with no pressure on the blade.

To link this back to method shaving, do you think that when CAR says something like "high-velocity mixture" he means "a lather that is capable of protecting the skin from a high-speed shave"? I don't object to the technical vocabulary, but I have never understood all of it either. Your idea that speed is a basic component of method shaving may be the insight I was looking for.

do you think that when CAR says something like "high-velocity mixture" he means "a lather that is capable of protecting the skin from a high-speed shave"?
For faster shaving, I do prefer something more like yogurt, rather than something that feels nice & thick and warm on the face. Maybe the extra water and lack of air makes for some hydroplaning effect--I really don't know. In other words, very little air and no "explosion" of lather. You lose some things: the air actually holds some heat and also prevents the lower layers from drying out as fast, and an exploded lather can be applied thicker without dripping, and you get a lot more of it. I won't use as thin a lather with a straight, where I go slower, and prefer a much thicker, stiffer, almost pasty-thick lather. A rich, thick lather will probably "protect" better, but might not be as lubricating as something wetter. There's a balance, as there is in finding a speed for any particular spot.

BTW, I think it's easier to explain the fast thing as just blade buffing your way through an entire shave. And you don't necessarily want to buff your entire face. Maybe most of the flatter areas, and... well, it's best for you to figure out your own mileage. But it's much easier to go fast over some curves as opposed to others, which means you have to make some concessions and do some strokes in a direction that's easier, not necessarily always following the grain. Taken to the logical extreme, you get cutting forms that ignore the grain entirely.

I'm also a really big proponent of shaving strictly with some kind of side-cutting motion, like a slide or j-hook. You probably wouldn't hesitate to slide a kitchen knife back and forth while cutting down through a tomato, so you should do the same with a razor. Maybe not your first day out. :)

Last edited:
I met the owner and I have to say he is SUPER intense but seems like a nice guy. He spent about an hour or so describing method shaving and talking about his products and videos. Quite a bit of the time trying to convince me to get a DE vs a straight. I'm new so I didn't mind but even if I had I probably couldn't have visited much quicker.

Any way he gave me free samples of all of his products and even offered to do an hour class if I decided to purchase a DE in the future.

Can't say I didn't warn you! :001_tt2:

But anyhow, that seems to be the takeaway from the majority of people that meet Charles in person (including me).

But anyhow, that seems to be the takeaway from the majority of people that meet Charles in person (including me).

I was picking that up...that although quirky the guy is very nice, helpful, and generous.

People also say the products are good and that people who have tried it like the results.

While watching another vid I did crack up laughing out loud when he used a word like hydro bombastic sack or something similar to describe the wad of "mix" he was holding in his hand.:001_smile

I figure that he is just "selling the sizzle" with all that but if his products are solid, customer service is strong, and he is telling people that he will give then a one hour lesson on how to get better results...he is doing plenty right.

I doubt I'm ever going to to that wicked fast speed shaving or buy every little do dad of that product line but I do plan on trying some of it at some point.

I was picking that up...that although quirky the guy is very nice, helpful, and generous.

People also say the products are good and that people who have tried it like the results.

While watching another vid I did crack up laughing out loud when he used a word like hydro bombastic sack or something similar to describe the wad of "mix" he was holding in his hand.:001_smile

I figure that he is just "selling the sizzle" with all that but if his products are solid, customer service is strong, and he is telling people that he will give then a one hour lesson on how to get better results...he is doing plenty right.

I doubt I'm ever going to to that wicked fast speed shaving or buy every little do dad of that product line but I do plan on trying some of it at some point.

Well, I don't cut anywhere near as fast as he does. But I can definitely cut faster with Method gear than I do with e.g. Proraso or the few other trad products I have. Which is really neither here nor there in terms of independent justification for the product, but it's definitely an indicator that the stuff works pretty well.

Top Bottom