What's new

It's a kind of art form / elaborate science (Method Shaving)

if you're bored you should read that 70-some-odd page primer that dude wrote. it was excellent for killing a boring afternoon at work.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/210159-Bash-Fest-for-Method-Shaving/page11

this bad boy was locked after it got completely out of control, history shows that we can't play nice as far as discussing method shaving goes.

To be fair, that was not a Method Shaving thread.
It was a branch of one that I personally split off from THIS very thread so that the naysayers could have their fun. See what happened? :lol:

The Method Shaving thread it came from is still alive and well right here!

Let's talk about Method Shaving. I'm through with all this talking-about-talking-about Method Shaving. :biggrin:

Although it's difficult reading, there are some very interesting concepts in the method that are worth mining. The main difficulty is in translating the terminology to how other shavers talk. I personally don't use all of his method, but only certain parts of it. While you can get the same information from various threads and tutorials, there are some definite differences between his methods and the traditional advice around here. Specifically, the things I actually do that agrees with his method is the stress on shaving speed, many passes, largely ignoring the grain, and having a wetter than normal lather.

If nothing else, it's worth trying the methods as a contrast with the traditional advice. Pick and choose those things you like about it. There's a lot more there than using a certain product. The concept behind the product is really more about being able to mix your own shaving cream that suits you perfectly. Personally, I'd rather try different products and pick the ones I like. While many of them aren't perfect, they are all comparatively convenient and consistent.

Last edited:
Specifically, the things I actually do that agrees with his method is the stress on shaving speed, many passes, largely ignoring the grain, and having a wetter than normal lather.

Can you explain the speed? It looks very frightening.

Is it that moving quickly lessons pulling and you can get better cutting?

I don't see myself being confident enough for a while to try moving that fast but I do find it intriguing.

Is it just me or did this guy have NO beard to start with??:thumbdown

He does believe in shaving every day. Yes, 7 days a week.

Now I've watched him actually shaving and uhm.... if this is real I'm inclined to say it's somewhat amazing.
I'm pretty sure I'd be needing to get in an ambulance as soon as possible if I attempted to copy the first 60 seconds of this vid.

You'd be surprised.

Ok, I was very curious and thought why not. We've all spent as much as the cost of the starter kit as we've spent to try a tub of some creams.
The starter kit has enough product to last for months (depending on how often you shave of course). You'll run out of soap but still have enough of the other products to still last a while so you may want to buy more soap.

Also you get the after shave balm and it works with water but you may want to get the tonic. Most everyone agrees that they really work no matter what shaving method you use.

He is quirky but very nice, he will spend time talking with you, though you just may want to cut through the verbiage and listen for the meat of the info. Btw, he didn't use quite as much jargon on the phone as he does in the video.

The outcome is after trying it as he explains it, it does work. After a few tries my blade just seemed to go fast (not quite as fast as his) but it was pretty neat the way it just glided. Even after rinsing and drying, my face was still slick enough to do touch ups, WOW.
All I'm trying to say is that it's worth trying, you get plenty of product in the starter kit to compare with buying other products, so why not.
He gives a sample of finishing balm that would last at least 2 months or more as well as the aftershave balm.

So, we all try so many methods and products, why not try this out? If you try it for a month or two and don't like it, then at least you can speak from experience.

I haven't reordered mainly because I want to thin the herd of all the stuff I already have. I'm also moving soon, so after that I'll get more stuff. I'm not saying that I'll give up the other products that I like. I also want to go back to the straight razor and I'm not sure how rmws will work with that.

Anyway, I've been jawing enough so try it if you want, don't try it if you don't want to. We're all here to learn off of each other.

I also forgot to mention that I had to open my mind. I thought the products couldn't be much different than say making an uber lather. Most of us have tried using cream and soap (and even glycerin) together but this is hugely different. I mean it's like a self contained water sack that's slick as snot. It's just different.
As far as the speed, it just comes little by little without even really trying to achieve it.

Last edited:
The starter kit has enough product to last for months (depending on how often you shave of course). You'll run out of soap but still have enough of the other products to still last a while so you may want to buy more soap.

Also you get the after shave balm and it works with water but you may want to get the tonic. Most everyone agrees that they really work no matter what shaving method you use.

I've got more learning to do but at some point I'll probably try out the products... I'll probably try out every product I can find. ;)

Although

If nothing else, it's worth trying the methods as a contrast with the traditional advice. Pick and choose those things you like about it. There's a lot more there than using a certain product. The concept behind the product is really more about being able to mix your own shaving cream that suits you perfectly. Personally, I'd rather try different products and pick the ones I like. While many of them aren't perfect, they are all comparatively convenient and consistent.

You got this in while I was typing my reply. You make good points. Especially about creating the mix that suits you. We try different products to find the cream, soap, etc. that works and in what combination. Hydrolast is designed to let you use the products you want in the combination you want to achieve the mix you like and to be able to vary it as the weather changes etc.

Can you explain the speed? It looks very frightening.

Is it that moving quickly lessons pulling and you can get better cutting?

I don't see myself being confident enough for a while to try moving that fast but I do find it intriguing.
The short answer is speed shaving is an entirely different approach to shaving than the classical slow & deliberate methods, and has its own techniques that need to be practiced.

I have my own ideas, rather theoretical, and largely a matter of conjecture on my part...

In several discussions I've had about straight razors, in comparing them with DE razors, and comparing wedges vs hollow razors, momentum came up as a factor in shaving. The idea is that a heavier edge will have greater momentum, allowing the edge to travel more smoothly over the skin and through the hair, with less deflection from bumps and cutting failures. In other words, a heavier blade will make for a smoother shaving experience, if not a closer shave. Since momentum relies on both mass and speed, you can achieve the same effect by moving the blade faster.

There are many complicating factors. One is that it takes more skill to move faster. This is the important point, and covers the other technical points.

Another factor is that it takes more force to cut a hair when you increase the speed, or rather it sometimes does. I suspect it has to do with how hair, much like a log, splits and cracks as you slice into it, but it can also split along its length. The hairs that crack across their width may require the same force at any speed, but at higher speeds, you're more likely to fracture along the length. This shows up in tests as a number of cuts that take a much larger force to cut. Since the likelihood of splitting along the length increases with longer hairs, one way to minimize this extra force is to shave more frequently.

The likelihood of a cutting failure, such as splitting along the length, is due to many factors. It's one of the things that causes that tugging feeling. With all the other factors that go into a smooth shave, you greatly reduce the likelihood of tugging... let's say... as you get more experience. You shouldn't expect to get a good shave just by increasing your speed. You'll find that there's a set of adjustments that affect all aspects of the shave, including angles, grip, choice of blade, and the qualities of the lather. You also need a really light touch to go fast, especially since the cutting force will increase, and that force gets translated directly into additional friction, which means a higher risk of razor burn. A higher speed also tends to cut at a higher angle, leaving an angled end that needs an additional cut to get close. This is why the speed is combined with more passes.

I think method shaving sums up the differences that come up for speed shavers. Not that I consider myself a method shaver. I was already doing this when I read about the method. But he describes a coherent approach to shaving that matches my experience in faster shaving.

references:
1. Observations on the Cutting of Beard Hair; Donald E. Deem, M. S. & Martin M. Rieger, Ph.D. I. Soc. Cosmet. Chem., 27, 579-592 (December 1976).
2. Cutting Characteristics Of Beard Hair; S. M. Thozhur & A. D. Crocombe & P. A. Smith & K. Cowley & M. Mullier; J Mater Sci (2007) 42:8725–8737

Last edited:
Ridiculous. I shave to relax and enjoy, not only to remove the beard, that doesn't look like relaxation to me. Nor does it look to be enjoyable. Yet more snake oil. I'll pass. Been there done that. I won't return to it.

Heck, I'm not above sending in the FNGs to catch the bullets in my stead. Obviously, that technique is for other folks. Enjoy.

I'll be content to wallow in my pool of contentment and relaxation while I enjoy my shave.

Last edited:
Lol - thats more or less what I have been doing with my cartridge for thirty years, but stood in a shower.
I do the multiple pass thing with my DE too, but slower.
Seems theres nothing new, uh

Ridiculous. I shave to relax and enjoy, not only to remove the beard, that doesn't look like relaxation to me. Nor does it look to be enjoyable. Yet more snake oil. I'll pass. Been there done that. I won't return to it.

Heck, I'm not above sending in the FNGs to catch the bullets in my stead. Obviously, that technique is for other folks. Enjoy.

I'll be content to wallow in my pool of contentment and relaxation while I enjoy my shave.

Protip: If traditional products work for you, you aren't the target market for Method Shaving.

Suppose Gillette's mass-market shaving gear works for 80% of the population. The members here are mostly the 20% who can't or don't want to use that stuff. Now suppose that traditional wet-shaving, as taught around these parts, works well for 80% of us. That leaves 4% to... grow a beard? Suffer bad shaves? For at least some of that last 4%, method shaving may be the answer. I'm sure the real numbers are different, but that's how I think about it.

Mantic59 has some method shaving videos on YouTube. I suggest people watch them as well for what may be a take on method shaving that's more to your liking.

Top Bottom