What's new

Buttermilk discovery:)

I love the stuff,drink it all the time,heres a way to cheat the makers,works like a charm.
Buy a quart of buttermilk,when your down to a 1/2 cup left,add it to a quart of any type milk,shake it up,leave at room temp over night,12/16 hrs,shake on occasion.
Refridgerate,you got buttermilk again:) never have to buy buttermilk again,just save 1/2 cup for the next batch and do it over again:))))

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have heard that if you leave it out for 24 -36 hours, you don't have to add the buttermilk first.

:lol:

I was never a big fan of buttermilk for consumption, I don't know what it is about the taste that I just can't do.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Add a tablespoon or two of buttermilk to a cup of heavy cream, leave it out overnight, et voila- you have yourself some tasty and hoity toity creme fraiche.

Add a tablespoon or two of buttermilk to a cup of heavy cream, leave it out overnight, et voila- you have yourself some tasty and hoity toity creme fraiche.

Add a tablespoon or two of buttermilk to three cups of heavy cream, leave it out for one week, drink it as fast as you can, and voila- you have yourself an instant diet plan.

Nice tip. Been doing this myself for about four years now. Works a treat. I cannot abide drinking cultured buttermilk but it sure does make fantastic scones(biscuits in our U.S. parlance). Now honest to goodness buttermilk, the leavings from churning butter out of cream, is another story. It is much milder than the store bought stuff and does not have the acidic flavour from the lactic fermentation. It too makes short breads richer. Not many people churn their own butter these days though.

Regards, Todd

Wife makes butter all the time in the food proc.

Nice. In your opinion is the food processor more efficient than hand turned churn at getting the butterfat out of the cream or is it just faster? Faster is better too since hand churning is a bit of work. I did this a number of times when I was young lad. I ask because we have been looking around for a dairy who will sell us whole milk. I think we have located one locally but I have not checked into it.

Regards, Todd

I never even thought to drink the stuff. Only use it for baking.
Sounds a little like maintaining a sourdough starter. Use half of it to bake and just feed the other half, keep the starter forever.

Nice. In your opinion is the food processor more efficient than hand turned churn at getting the butterfat out of the cream or is it just faster? Faster is better too since hand churning is a bit of work. I did this a number of times when I was young lad. I ask because we have been looking around for a dairy who will sell us whole milk. I think we have located one locally but I have not checked into it.

Regards, Todd
My wife just uses heavy cream from the store,actually think she do's it just because she can:) do not think it is cost effective tho.
The food processore is fast,you have to keep the cream well chilled,when you get this big chunk of butter you drain off the watery stuff (whey?)is real sweet tasting stuff.
Than with a morter and pestle she finely grinds sea salt as the butter is unsalted,adds some to make regular type butter.
She adds some buttermilk to the watery sweet stuff and that turns into real heavy chunky buttermilk after a couple days.
guess if you have the time it is sort of trick to do,tastes like the store bought ready made stuff to me:)

@ Spindlecone.
Sorry to take so long to reply. Thanks for the information. Yeah, that sweet stuff you are referencing is "real" buttermilk. My mum used to talk about her brothers and sisters arguing over who was going to get the buttermilk after churning. I always looked at her like she was crazy. Who would want to drink that bitter stuff? Of course I did not realise what she was talking about. My experience was with the cultured variety from the store. I will bake with it but I refuse to drink the stuff. Yuck. Your wife is culturing her own store type buttermilk when she adds it to the leavings.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom