What's new

Does anyone strop between passes?

Just wondering If any of you guys strop between passes? I don't really know if it's necessary but I saw a barber shave a guy WTG then he stropped to do ATG. What do you guys think?

I do this if I did not do a really good job of honing the razor. If I have to strop the razor repeatedly to get a good shave, I will re-hone the razor the next evening.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I strop about 20 passes on horse before my ATG pass. Seems to help a bit.

No, no need for that for me.
I will strop after my face shave, if I decide to go three passes on my head shave as well.
But, for a regular 3 pass face shave I will never do a stropping in between passes.

Actually, after stropping between passes for a week I gave it up. It seemed to slow the shaving process down being the blade was too sharp and gave a lot more irritation and nicks. You can't put any pressure to get the closest shave or you'll get cut(Especially after your blade has been honed on a 30000 Shapton) Regular stropping at the begining of a shave seems to be good enough.

Nah. If my razor can't last one shave between stropping there is something wrong.

+1 on this.
Plus, if I wanted a "fresh razor" for each pass, I would have 3 razors stropped and ready, and shave that way so I didn't have to waste time between passes.

Nah. If my razor can't last one shave between stropping there is something wrong.

+1

I have stropped a different razor to finish with between passes though. The one I was using was honed before further use.

I will admit if I am having problems with the straight I will typically either go to the DE or just give up instead of working so hard for it. If shaving isn't working that day my face appreciates less damage from not trying so hard.

Phil

I do if it feels like it needs it. My beard is pretty tough on razor edges. If it feels like it needs stropped right after a good stroppin', it's time to hone.

Well, sort of. I only do a single pass each day, and I strop the razor before I shave each day so technically, I do strop between each pass.

If you have to do 2 or 3 passes for a clean shave then the blade is dull. Course you need a Iwasaki Japanese beauty like mine for single pass comfort.

cityjim

I do on occassion, it is less about blade alignment or "sharpness" than just cleaning off any microscopic debris...about 20 quick passes. I don't really see a huge differece, it is probably just mental but it seems to help slightly in those "tough areas"

I tried it a few times, but didn't think it helped out that much... and I'm trying to get my shaves under the 30 min mark more regularly, so no.

-Matt-

CityJim, are you serious? I suspect either you are blessed with thin facial hair or are a salesman for japanese blades?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't have any razor that truly needs stropping between passes, but I do feel that a dozen or two laps before the final pass of a multi-pass shave is a good idea, and only adds a half a minute, tops, to the total shave time. The difference isn't much, but obviously it is there.

I usually strop before the last ATG pass. My beard is wiry and it helps cut smoothly on that, the most demanding of passes. If a blade needs stropping between shaves (and they all do), it means the keenest part of the edge is being impacted throughout the shave, all the wear doesn't happen on that last stroke. Therefore it makes sense that if you want the sharpest edge for the final pass, just give it a dozen or so laps on the leather. Adds maybe 30 seconds to the shaving time. Alternatively, if time is that important, just do your between shave stropping before the last pass and not after the shave. That way you are only stropping once per shave and your edge is at its best when it needs to be.

Top Bottom