What's new

Good Cream for Straights

I have generally been using tallow soaps for my straight shaves, but was wondering if there are any creams that excel. I have some TOBS that cushions really well, but does it give enough slickness for an effective straight shave? I consider the SMN AdP and Cella I have to be soaps...

I have only used three shave soaps, so I am a terrible reference (but all of them worked well as long as they didn't dry out).
Barbasol shave foam in the can - dried out quick, so I found myself either re-applying or trying to add water to my face (hands only)
Some other cheap shave gel that came in a tube (so i wouldn't have to take a can on a plane), it worked well, but as it dried out, it became difficult to wash from my blade (Hands Only)
Van der Hagen (Brush Only) I like the VdH because I can control the viscosity with additional water (probably more of an attribute to the brush than to the soap). I like my cream more wet than dry. I find myself adding water during a shave and re-applying often. I think the biggest thing on my beard is not letting things dry out too much.

I find that with my straight, I'm much more concerned with the cushion that I get from my software. For a pure cream, the best I've found IMHO is AlRaz's Bomb. They give me tremendously cushioned, slick shaves and leave my face feeling good without any irritation. Of course, YMMV, etc. etc.

I've not had any trouble with any quality soap or cream when shaving with a straight razor. My favorite creams would be Musgo Real and the Body Shop Maca Root.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I stand by my old proraso, with a tad bit more water than I would normally use for a DE. I look more for slickness than cushion in my shaving since too much lather gets in the way on the ATG stroke...YMMV for sure.

I don't have much experience but so far Crabtree & Evelyn creams work the best. More so than CO Bigelow (Proraso). Thick, cushy lather. That's my opinion tho. Also, if you're impatient like me you can pick it up locally if you have a C&E in your area

I have used several different Truefitt & Hill creams, as well as Proraso, and they all performed quite well. Like Kentos mentioned, I tend to add a little more water than I normally would if I was using a DE, just to get that extra slickness... I do the same thing with soap.

Since I just started, I noticed I like more of a wattery lather when It comes to straight shaving. a dry lather will cause problems. the one I'm using most right now is Loccitane Soap. its not too thick and it provides a nice glide . but like I said I just started straight shavin'.

Legion

Staff member
I don't have special DE soaps or SR soaps. I pretty much use exactly the same stuff for both.

Most of the creams I've tried were menthol, I got to not care for any menthol products. Any more all I've been using is Cella; it works so well and is not very expensive I have a hard time looking for anything different.

Since I just started, I noticed I like more of a wattery lather when It comes to straight shaving. a dry lather will cause problems. its not too thick and it provides a nice glide . but like I said I just started straight shavin'.

+1 I think so too

I don't have much experience but so far Crabtree & Evelyn creams work the best. More so than CO Bigelow (Proraso). Thick, cushy lather. That's my opinion tho. Also, if you're impatient like me you can pick it up locally if you have a C&E in your area

I may need to revise my statement. I just received TOBS Rose and got my closest 2 pass shave with it. We'll see if subsequent passes are the same.

Top Bottom